Moving from part to diy on private yard. Stuff I need???

atlantis

equinetouchjo.wordpress.com
So I'm moving next week and I need to buy my own feed and bedding now. Thinking about it has made me think about changing a few things.

Hay I'm using the same supplier as yo.

Lottie is barefoot and currently feed wise on hifi molasses free (provided by livery yard), pro hoof and salt.

I'd like to change the chaff to something else. Thinking organic like thunderbrooks herbal chaff or agrobs. Might also try some kind of low sugar / starch nut for a treat ball.

Will continue with pro hoof and probably add micronised linseed after a bit of research. Do I need to think of anything else?

Bedding wise she is on shavings. She is messy and wet when in season. Straw not allowed on yard and I wouldn't anyway as she'd eat it and I just hate straw. I'm wondering about wood pellets. Or maybe combining them with shavings.

I need a new shavings fork. I've been using the yards as mine is broken.

Any other thoughts? Is s head torch a good idea?

MuddyMonster

Visit site
If you haven't got these already, definitely more buckets than you think you'll need! For feed bowls, I like the black rubber skip types & tub trugs for water buckets.

A decent broom & wheelbarrow makes life so much easier. As does having enough haynets to make a weeks worth up in one go.

I use my dustpan & brush lots & I swear by stable gloves/marigolds to help protect your hands & nails.

Enjoy having her on DIY :)

Pocketr@cket

Visit site
Buckets from b&q are great and cheap. Noble outfitters shavings fork feels amazing. I turned it upside and bounced ontop and it's didn't falter. I will be asking Santa for one. You can colour code then too.

atlantis

Thanks guys. I have buckets and tools. Just a new fork required. I use a hay cube so have to fill that daily which is annoying. Need a new one really I keep patching it up as the plastic has worn through the feet. The new ones are £120 though so won't be doing that any time soon!!

Wheel barrow has a new puncture proof tyre. I need a lid for the feed bin I do have and probably another feed bin.

Some shelves for my shed storage area would be good. Maybe a rug chest.
Trip to Wilkos required methinks.

Any other ideas?

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Personally I'd keep her feed the same until she's settled. It will be familiar to her in her new surroundings and you won't be confused about the reason for any behaviour changes.

People have suggested the basics I use cheap rubber gardening gloves for skipping out and trugs for skips, soaking hay and various other jobs. Scoop for feed, wooden spoon for stirring feed. Knife for chopping stuff and cutting baling twine. Brush for scrubbing buckets. I weigh hay so have one of those weighing hooks.

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
I did exactly what you are doing OP, went from part livery to DIY, best decision I ever made but I digress. I have limited storage at my yard but found a large black and yellow plastic box which has wheels on at Homebase. The lid clips down, it's very robust and holds loads and it was only £14.99.

Greylegs

Visit site
I'm another recent mover and now doing DIY on a small, private yard as against full livery on a very large yard, so had to get everything. All of the above for definite, and, against my better judgement, I have been persuaded to get a good quality snow shovel. I really didn't think I needed it as I have a good shavings fork, but it definitely makes mucking out a shavings bed a lot quicker and easier. My lad is on shavings on top of rubber and tends to kick his bedding about all over the place, so the shovel is great for scraping everything together, chucking back your bed and scooping up wet patches.

Also, get several large plastic storage boxes with good lids - the sort you can see through, not the opaque coloured ones. They keep everything tidy, stack up easily and allow you see what's in them without having to open them all on those days you need a clean saddle cloth or have forgotten where you put your cooler.

Oh ... and wall hooks. You'll be amazed how much you want to hang things up.

atlantis

I'm another recent mover and now doing DIY on a small, private yard as against full livery on a very large yard, so had to get everything. All of the above for definite, and, against my better judgement, I have been persuaded to get a good quality snow shovel. I really didn't think I needed it as I have a good shavings fork, but it definitely makes mucking out a shavings bed a lot quicker and easier. My lad is on shavings on top of rubber and tends to kick his bedding about all over the place, so the shovel is great for scraping everything together, chucking back your bed and scooping up wet patches.

Also, get several large plastic storage boxes with good lids - the sort you can see through, not the opaque coloured ones. They keep everything tidy, stack up easily and allow you see what's in them without having to open them all on those days you need a clean saddle cloth or have forgotten where you put your cooler.

Oh ... and wall hooks. You'll be amazed how much you want to hang things up.

All great ideas. Thank you. Wall hooks got in the shed for definite!!!

atlantis

I did exactly what you are doing OP, went from part livery to DIY, best decision I ever made but I digress. I have limited storage at my yard but found a large black and yellow plastic box which has wheels on at Homebase. The lid clips down, it's very robust and holds loads and it was only £14.99.
I'll have a look thanks

Personally I'd keep her feed the same until she's settled. It will be familiar to her in her new surroundings and you won't be confused about the reason for any behaviour changes.

People have suggested the basics I use cheap rubber gardening gloves for skipping out and trugs for skips, soaking hay and various other jobs. Scoop for feed, wooden spoon for stirring feed. Knife for chopping stuff and cutting baling twine. Brush for scrubbing buckets. I weigh hay so have one of those weighing hooks.

Good point re feed. I'll see if I can get a bit to take with me. Don't want a whole bag.

All these little bits good point. I'll add them to the list!!

Luci07

Visit site
Wood pellets and shavings on mats didn't work for me. Mine is 17.1 and while the logic is sound the reality meant he moves his bed around too much (bed is about 10" deep with good banks). Previous horse was 16.2 and wee'ed in 1 place only but I found a decent shavings bed worked better.