moving good from Devon to wisbeach.

Potato!

Visit site
Hi guys, just wondering if you guys could help me. My family are moving to Gorefield near Wisbeach. Im also thinking of moving not long there not long afterwards for a bit of a fresh start etc. I would be moving my horse with me so will be looking for livery/fields to rent nearby. What's it like living with horses in that area? Are there many facilities nearby? I did hear that the neighbouring farm breeds shire horses.

Thankyou in advance for your help.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I have a friend who moved from somerset to a village called whaplode drove near wisbeach, if you don't get any other responses I could perhaps put you in touch. They keep their 2 ponies at home (moved up there as it meant they could afford a bigger house with land compared to somerset).

Potato!

Visit site
Thank you. It's quite daunting but also exciting to start a new chapter in my life. I've just not been there so really don't know what it's like. I've had several relationship issues and feel that a new start in a new area with family close by would be good for me. However I've moved to a different part of the country before and finding and making new friends is quite daunting.

Last edited:

millmo

Visit site
Hi
I live in Wisbech and have done all my life. Its not bad for keeping horses. if you want to get out and about with them there are several local shows within 10 mile radius, and even more slightly further afield. Hay and feed is easy to find without going to far. As ester pointed out it is flat. There are a few livery yards around but if you want a field on your own leg work will be required to find one. Some of the yards will hire there schools out for a charge. Hope that helps and good luck with your move.

Potato!

Visit site
Thank you guys. What's it like up there for work? It would be a huge step for me as I'm moving away from everything and everyone I know baring my family. So I wouldn't know anybody.

millmo

Visit site
Its ok for work it depends on what you want to do . if you can drive there is also work in Kings Lynn which is about 20 minute drive away which is where I work. If you do move pm me and we can meet if you would like and then at least that will be one person you know.

MissMistletoe

Visit site
It is very different to Devon in terms of scenery - hilly vs. flat.
There are lots of RCs around and some local EC as far as I remember. Hacking is mainly on droves and long quiet roads and bridleways running in straight lines for miles and miles!.
I used to get on my young horse and just trot for miles into no man's land hardly ever seeing a car! It is always windy there too.
Remember, you are not far from beaches, some of which you are allowed to ride on!
Fields of pumpkins and cabbages, rather than dairy farms, so I remember there being ALOT of stubble to play on in autumn !!!

penelope-pitstop

New User
Visit site
I moved from Devon to between Peterborough and Wisbech 5 years ago, it has an continues to be a culture shock all this flat Fenland in place of Devons rolling hills. There are a lot of horses in the area, but most seem to be kept on peoples private properties rather than livery yards so finding good yards can be a challenge! Plenty of research and getting to know the locals always helps, I have been renting my own yard from a lovely family who own land and stabling, but don't keep horses themselves which has been lovely.
I'm now moving across to Rutland as it makes more sense for work so back to the drawing board on finding horse space and facilities.

If your family are moving up first and have a horsey neighbours then it makes sense to take advantage of their local knowledge, even if they can't accommodate you they will probably be able to point you in the right direction. Depending on where exactly you end up I may be able to help with tack shops/feed merchant/vets/farrier type recommendations.

Banjo

Visit site
Hi moved here about 4 years ago. Although I didn't move as from as far as you. I'm am on the Lynn side of Wisbech. I moved first to make sure it was the right thing to do and got myself settled then I bought my horse up. A friend kindly looked after him while I got sorted.
There are several yards around, and tack shops. All are a fountain of knowledge of yards etc. There are also a couple of local riding clubs if that's your thing and plenty of shows whether it's dressage or show jumping. The hacking is pretty good to. The beach isn't too far away either.
On the job front it really depends what you are after.
Good luck!!! 😀