Moving horse from UK to Australia

Gusbear

Was Richmond, Surrey now a mountain forest in Oz.
Visit site
So the OH and I have made the big move from London back to Oz. It's our second time doing so but this time is different as we've bought my lovely UK bred horse back with us. Our dearly cherished 'new family member' has made it to Oz after a mamouth 30 hour odyssey flight via all points on the globe trek and has cleared quarantine to now make Australia home. All is good except poor northern bred horsey (Danish warmblood X Clevaland Bay X with some thoroughbred) is struggling with the flies, heat and the summer humidity (as I am after so many years away). We have snakes in the fields, 35 degree+ temperatures and loads of new things to get used to).
I'm slowly becoming aclimitised however after 3 months poor dear horse is struggling to get used to the warm weather and the flies.
He's being a real pain to lunge or school as he simply is not used to he crazy weather here.
Has anyone out here relocated their horse from the Northern Hemisphere to the South? How long did it take for your horse to settle in?
My poor boy is really struggling and I'm fighting a losing battle to get him to relax and be the same lovely quiet and docile boy he was when I had hm in the U.k.
Any ideas anyone?

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
If it's any consolation, the weather will start getting cooler in a month (still won't be cold unless you're in some snow areas and they're scarce!)

I WOULD get some Nexium off E-bay and give him 7 tablets a day for a couple of weeks - a long journey is stressful enough to give a horse ulcers and a few weeks of treatment is cheaper than diagnosis!

Vanha12

Visit site
Interesting article on in Horse and Hound on relocating horses from NZ and Oz to here. General consensus from all the kiwi and Oz eventers was that it takes the horses 12 months to properly aclimatise and start performing so don't lose heart. It sounds to be normal but frustrating in the meantime.

Cazzah

Visit site
Whereabouts are you? I moved to Perth 18 months ago and made the heartbreaking decision to sell my boy in tHe UK but have bought a lovely young warmblood across here 18 months ago.

I can imagine your boy will be struggling a bit at the moment - moving in the middle of summer is going to make it feel pretty extreme. Could it be worth clipping? Winter is coming and it may make him feel a bit cooler before then and then help him adjust? Does his field have some natural shade?

MagicMelon

Visit site
Never been to OZ but obviously I know its hot there, I think I'd probably just do as much as possible to keep him cool like clipping out completely, making sure he's got cool shade at all times, perhaps bringing him in during the day and putting in a fan, just gentle hacking for the time being rather than working him fast/hard then washing him off with cool water all over after etc.

lucemoose

Visit site
I moved my horse from Nz to the UK and she took over 12 months to acclimatise. Is he sweating OK? Can you clip him? Have you spoken to anyone in the area about relevant mineral additives ?

Gusbear

Visit site
We are in Melbourne. The weather has been crazy. 40 degrees one day and cold and wet the next but that's Melbourne for you. My horse is quite lethargic in the warm weather which is understandable and I avoid riding or lunging him on those days. The cooler days he turns into a complete loon and basically levitates from the field to the stables much to the frustration of the poor stable manager. He bucks, rears and plunges at me on the lunge, spooks in the indoor and practically tows me along if I walk him in hand. He's an inquisitive horse anyway so wants to see everything all at once but is on high alert when he does see something new. We're on a purpose built equestrian facility on nearly 1000 acres so joy of joys no more hacking on roads with crazy drivers. I'm keen to get him out on a gentle hack but we have swamp wallabies that live around the lakes on the property so I can only image how he'll react when we do finally come across one. Luckily my body protector arrived in our freight recently so I'll be fully kitted out just in case 😬
Thanks Janet for the tip re Nexium, I appreciate your advice. I'll get him on those pronto.

He was fully clipped before leaving the uk but he managed to grow a bit of winter fuzz in parts by the time he arrived here. He's now shed that again and seems to be growing a summer coat now. He's sweating ok and I think half the problem is that he's itchy and uncomfortable as a result. We've had some very humid days and he's quite clammy and hot and generally grumpy as a result. Luckily the staff here are great and they hose him down when they bring him in. His stable is very cool and we are only about 1/4 mile from the sea so we do get lovely cool breezes and the stables are always very comfortable. He has a large shelter in his field too so he can get out of the sun on hot days.
Another livery here by coincidence bought her horse over on the same flight as mine and hers has also been very naughty and acting out of character too. The day they both arrived at the yard from quarantine they seemed out of it and neither of them recognized us and both were acting quite odd. We seem to think something strange might have happened to them at the quarantine station. My horse apparently and very uncharacteristically broke away from a big strong handler whilst they tried to load him on the lorry. He apparently legged it and they spent a good deal of time trying to catch him and then get him to load. He's a big boy, 18.2hh and nearly 900kg so,that's a lot of horse to try and control. (Yes we did pay for a double sized container on the flight over and he was an excellent traveller according to the freight company). And yes it was eye wateringly (is that a word) expensive!
I'm in no rush to get him back into full work as I want him to settle in and be comfortable before I ask too much of him.
The one consolation is that he absolutely loves the grazing here and has gone crazy in his quest to consume thistles and the clover. Probably half the problem as the fields are irrigated so the grazing is good where other properties are dusty and dry at present. He looks a picture of health but I suspect that probably contributes to his excess of energy and hence naughtiness.
It is frustrating as I so want to have my old horse back but I know he's been through a hell of a lot. Poor boy has been through a big adventure and is now having to adjust to a new life here. But in the end, I'm just grateful that he arrived safely and I have a lovely and extremely generous OH that footed a very large airfare for my crazy four legged best friend.
Thanks for your replies everyone. Fingers crossed my big lad becomes 'Aussified' one day.
I'll let you know how we get on.

Gusbear

Visit site
We have 40 horses here in total. 10 of us on full livery and the rest on grass livery or retirees. It's Warmblood city. The most amazingly beautiful, and superbly schooled horses I have ever seen. The majority of the horses are competing at Grand Prix level. Quite a few here are on grass livery and compete at International level surprisingly. We have a few people and horses here that have competed at the Olympics (yes I feel like a complete no idea numpty when I school as I can't even canter in the indoor elegantly. Picture an elephant stampeding at full speed with a small and frightening person perched on top and you'll get an idea of the two of us doing our thing.
I admit I have definately over-horsed myself and completely have no idea how to ride when I compare myself to my fellow liveries. Luckily dear horse has endeared himself to everyone despite the fact he is currently an out of control giant whose sole purpose in life is to mug everyone within distance for their sandwiches, chocolate biscuits and anything remotely edible. It's like owning a giant Labrador. He's handsome so he gets away with it.
It's a whole new world for me here. When I had horses here years ago they were on grass livery and everyone had Thoroughbreds straight off the track (including me) or you owned some sort of rough looking hairy pony that you bombed around the fields on the weekends. People here actually dress up to school their horses and they're all wearing crisp, freshly ironed shirts and designer jodpurs with matching everything and diamond studs and colour coordinated custom built horse lorries that are the size of the average flat in London.
But luckily everyone is surprisingly friendly, helpful and very welcoming towards me. I'm learning heaps already and dream that one day there's a half decent dressage horse in my boy waiting to burst out of his oversized and awkward largeness waiting to impress everyone. I can but dream.

Last edited:

lucemoose

Visit site
Yes clover was the devil in NZ! Are you at borneo park? Google calm healthy horses, they have a great range of minerals to alleviate grazing issues. Now you've said clover I'm thinking that is one of your problems!

Lyle

Visit site
AH! I feel like from your description, you are at Boneo Park? Stunning facilities, I love the competitions there! Honestly, I think you might need to give him time to settle :) Even our born and bred Aussie horses struggle in the heat, especially the big ones. If very hot, I wont work them, aside from a gentle hack late in the evening as the sun goes down, if they really need some work. Keep the electrolytes up to him, and aggressive cooling after work (hose, scrape, hose, scrape, hose, scrape...) and lots of walk breaks!

As for the dressing up to school... whilst I partake in matchy-matchy as a dressage queen, if you are ever based with eventers, prepared to be laughed at! :) I hope your boy settles soon!

Gusbear

Visit site
Sorry for the late reply but bloody IPad logs me out of this site ever time I try to post. 😩
Yes, we are at the lovely Boneo Park. I think I've died and gone to horsey heaven. What an amazing place. I feel very lucky to be here.
I hadn't even considered that clover might be an issue. He didn't really have much access to it back in the UK unless I took him out for in hand gazing and even then it was on the odd ocassion that we came across any at his livery.
The grass here is extremely rich and having the clover on tap coupled with all the new sights and sounds has turned my boy into a nervous wreck. We tried to school in the indoor along with another livery (thanks Deb for being patient with my coiled spring of a horse). He was ok until three of the liveries daughters decided to do a spot of jumping on their ponies alongside us on the outdoor. Horse stopped to take a little lookie. Ok that's fine but the minute they cantered past and started jumping that was it. Poor horse decided it was way too exciting and thought my cue to him to trot meant explode into a canter at full tilt. "Half halt, relax, half halt, oh my!". He did his best camel impression and proceeded to motor his way around at breakneck speed down the long side with bit firmly between his teeth and his knees under his chin whilst I had my heart in my mouth and tried to remember if dear OH had managed to arrange our private health insurance. After rearranging my teeth back into their allotted places and regaining my composure I relaxed enough to stop clinging on for dear life and reined in the jugganaut back to a somewhat relaxed trot.
Today I arranged for him to be lunged by our very capable stable manager so at least he'll be a little less 'enthusiastic' when on hop on board again in a couple of days time.
Hacking out is still on hold as there are kangaroos bouncing around near the stables. That equates to giant horse bouncing around and possibly attempting to climb the nearest tree with little me onboard. Think we'll wait until such time he won't spook at the Roos and I've managed to unpack my brave pants from our freight.
Off now to check my health cover. 🙃

Holzdweaver

Visit site
I have clover rich grazing and its very potassium high so feed my boy magnesium and salt to make up for the imbalance it causes. Without it hes a lunatic, like leading out a half ton kite when the grazing is good. It may be worth giving it a go and see if it will help as its cheap to feed.

Firewell

Visit site
I moved my boy from UK to Southern California. He seemed to adjust OK but then about 2 months after arriving he went a bit weird and kept running off and spooking. Turned out he had picked up ulcers from the travelling and adjusting (time zones, feed, weather). A 6 week course of Gastroguard and Suceed supplement and he was back to normal :).

WelshLady

New User
Visit site
Hi
I know this is an old thread but who did you use to transport your horse and how much did it cost? I rehomed my three horses before moving to Melbourne but one of my horses is back with a friend, I'd love to bring her here but it looks very expensive.. :(
Thanks

Gusbear

Visit site
Hi WelshLady
Firstly, welcome to the forum 😁
I used IRT. Can’t recommend them highly enough. I know loads of people that have used them plus they transport all the racehorses and competition horses around the world. They organised all the paperwork for his vaccinations, export papers, quarantine in the UK and Oz, basically everything.
It would have cost around £14,000 normally, however as my horse is so big they had to use a double sized inflight container for him so it ended up being £20,000 😳
It’s actually cheaper to go Oz to UK as no quarantine needed, and the quarantine cost is why it is so much more expensive coming here.
Quarantine is 2 weeks in the UK at Newmarket and 3 weeks in Melbourne at the Mickelham facility near Tullarmarine airport.
Feel free to PM me.

Tarragon

Visit site
Having read the whole thread I wonder how your beautiful big horse is now and did he acclimatise?
We have just had friends from Australia staying with us and they showed me Wallaby Hill Farm (NSW) equestrian centre and it just looks amazing - all that space!

Gusbear

Visit site
Hi Tarragon
My lovely now 18.3hh horse (and by the way happy 12th birthday to him today) has settled in very well after the first 12 months of trying to get used to our new life here. Many dramas to begin with but we got there in the end. He was born and raised in County Durham so a big shock to his system initially to cope with the 40 degrees + days here we have in summer. In all honesty though, he’s settled in well. He’s no longer on Cartrophen for dodgy/arthritic joints and seems to be thriving.
He’s not grown a winter coat on his body at all since he arrived except for a hairy head and slightly woolly legs each winter.
He loves to be turned out naked except for a light bug rug (apart from frosty nights when he loves a fleece on) as he’s allergic to the mozzies here so he tends to end up with golf ball sized welts unless I coat him in a bug repellant.
He looks a picture of health but we need to keep him off the very rich clover in the fields or else it sends him a little fizzy/crazy.
We’re moving on Sunday back to the same area where I kept and hacked out my last late horse some 12 years ago.
Miles and miles of lovely trails through the bush, quiet hacks along dirt country lanes with no traffic and resident Kookaburras, kangaroos, cockatoos and the like to keep us company.
Very similar countryside, apart from the wildlife to our lovely yard in Headley, Surrey. There are some lovely grassy and hilly areas for canters and uphill gallops too.
I can’t wait. I miss the UK terribly but our new yard is the closest I’ve found to it and I’m so excited that I’m like a child on Christmas morning.
I know we will both be much happier as we were both so bored riding in the indoor and hacking around the same boring lanes on our current yard, which I since found out the owner is selling off to a housing estate so best we move anyway.
He’s going from stabled overnight to grass 24/7 but will have a miniature pony as a field friend. I’ll also be seeing him every evening after work to give him a small hard feed and treats.
The new yard has direct access to a state park so loads of trails rides plus heaps of other trails too outside the front gates and more.
I’ll post pics once we move.

Tarragon

Visit site
Thanks for the update. It does all sound wonderful and yes please to photos.
I wonder if he will even notice a miniature pony which probably only comes up to his knees :)