Moving Horse to France

sjward

Visit site
Can anyone give me an idea of how much it would be to get a company to transport my horse to France (Dordogne Region). We will be moving at the end of the year and I just need a real ball park rough idea of what it might cost.
I have a 15hh Gypsy Cob, I've emailed a couple of companies but haven't heard back yet.

Also any recommendations for transport would be greatly appreciated. There is no way I'm going to take her myself I'd be too anxious so need a professional company to take that anxiety away from me.

Many thanks
Shan

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
I have used John Parker to and from Germany several times and it was £480 one way. Very professional, they deal with all the vets/export papers at their base just before travel so you don't have the worry of getting it done within the 48hour window. As a guide he was collected Day 1, stabled in Kent overnight, travelled day 2, stabled in Holland overnight, delivered day 3. Arrived without a sweat mark on him, wasn't tired and more importantly he was well hydrated so don't fret, they do it for a living every day.

Rollin

Visit site
Parkers quoted a buyer in S. Wales £700 to collect from Pays de la Loire and deliver to the Gower, last year. We are taking another horse to Hampshire on Saturday, we are 3 hours from Dieppe. The crossing to Newhaven costs us £200. For us motorway tolls are about £100, then of course diesel on top.

It is a 4 hour crossing and DFDS are brilliant, we have done the journey a few times. They make sure no refrigerated lorries are parked behind the trailer and we are disembarked first. DIY is not a problem, we prefer it, but you would need a stop in France if going down to the Dordogne.

Rasadi

Visit site
I would recommend LOC have had a few horses brought over and they were fantastic horses step of the lorry like they have been on for 10 minutes

Notimetoride

Visit site
You don't have to automatically go to the big guys! Veronica of Yew Tree Horse Transport brought my mare over from France. Her lorry is smaller and not like a spaceship, but it is still lovely, comfortable and my horse was fresh as a daisy after a 13 hr journey. Veronica is truly lovely, and was significantly cheaper that larger competitors. I wouldn't hesitate to use her again.

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
The smaller companies might be just as professional but the difference is that there are only a few firms that are permitted to use the EuroTunnel and it makes the journey so much shorter for the horses. Having travelled horses abroad via the ferry to Zebrugge and more recently using EuroTunnel I would chose the latter every time.