Moving horses to France.. help

EmmaJC

New User
Visit site
Been reading this other thread with interest but didn't want to hijack it with my own queries!!
https://forums.horseandhound.co.uk/threads/moving-horses-to-france.799787/#post-14510746

Planning (hoping!) to move to France this year with 2 horses - if anyone has any useful info re horses for the Charente Maritime region would be most welcome! eg farriers/feed/instructors etc or the address of helpful french sites as struggled to find proper info so far!?

Hoping to have them at home but if we can't get enough land we're considering buying or renting some close by - however, I'm led to believe this may not be so easy? Does anyone know if you are allowed to graze horse on land designated as 'Groupement Foncier Agricole' - house we are currently looking at is fairly near Parthenay and I've been told there is a parcel of land next to it that we may be able to get as its just a tad short on acreage!

One agent told me there is a general right of way across farmland for horses in France - is this true? - other comments I've read suggest not!?

Thanks!

Pebble101

Visit site
I have no idea about rights of way across farmland for horses but when my BIL was running through farmland he was shot at. They can be a bit trigger happy at times, I remember being out there on holiday and being a bit shocked at a hunter walking around town with his rifle over his arm.

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
Been reading this other thread with interest but didn't want to hijack it with my own queries!!
https://forums.horseandhound.co.uk/threads/moving-horses-to-france.799787/#post-14510746

Planning (hoping!) to move to France this year with 2 horses - if anyone has any useful info re horses for the Charente Maritime region would be most welcome! eg farriers/feed/instructors etc or the address of helpful french sites as struggled to find proper info so far!?

Hoping to have them at home but if we can't get enough land we're considering buying or renting some close by - however, I'm led to believe this may not be so easy? Does anyone know if you are allowed to graze horse on land designated as 'Groupement Foncier Agricole' - house we are currently looking at is fairly near Parthenay and I've been told there is a parcel of land next to it that we may be able to get as its just a tad short on acreage!

One agent told me there is a general right of way across farmland for horses in France - is this true? - other comments I've read suggest not!?

Thanks!
This site should have answers to many of your questions.

You should also keep an eye on the FFE's website, and on that of GeoCheval.

Google will find you lots of resources in both English and in French, if you use precise enough search terms.

Here's a chapter from a book published by PUR, that deals with recreational access to agricultural land.

The best way to buy land is to be over here already, in the area where you want to buy, and find yourself a helpful local notaire.

Last edited:

EmmaJC

New User
Visit site
This site should have answers to many of your questions.

You should also keep an eye on the FFE's website, and on that of GeoCheval.

Google will find you lots of resources in both English and in French, if you use precise enough search terms.

Here's a chapter from a book published by PUR, that deals with recreational access to agricultural land.

The best way to buy land is to be over here already, in the area where you want to buy, and find yourself a helpful local notaire.
Brill - many thanks ill take a look at all that!

sunnyone

Visit site
If you do buy agricultural land you will have to build into your annual budget the annual taxe foncière. It won't be huge but it is there to be paid.
I am on a corner of 2 lanes, so they come along at least once a year and cut back the growth in the ditches, as well as doing the grass on the roadside verges regularly. Less work for us!

The potholes get mended very frequently too.

My land had not been fenced previously and was originally approached via a chemin d'exploitation which we inevitably churned up, so we asked to bridge one of the ditches to give us direct access. The mairie'sent out a chap to inspect the location and advise on the width. He also told us where to buy the pipe we needed and when it was paid for went and collected it, sited it and put a load of soil on top. All at no additional charge! The Maire was astonished that I thought I maybe should have received a bill.
Last year we received a 50% rebate cheque for 2018's tax as a "natural disaster"had occurred in the area and many farmers lost their crops due to late frosts and/or flooding.

Lexi 123

Visit site
Don’t have anything useful but probably best to see if you have to pay a lot of property tax . Plus it I know you don’t want to think of this but is it worth bringing the horses if you get what I mean. I know it’s upsetting thing to do . I Don’t mean to come across as rude or offense .

rodolp13

New User
Visit site
Regarding the question about grazing horses on agricole land, this is allowed but better check with the local authorities. Putting up a temporary shelter is allowed but not permanent stables. Building an outdoor arena can also be a tricky one. The best recommandation is to make an appointment with the Maire of the village and exlain what you want to do.

The websites I would recommend, being French, are :
Chevalannonce.com for its very active forums (the equivalent of the H&H forums in France). If you have a question it is the place to go to.
For finding horses for sale, properties, trailers, second hand tack and everything equestrian the website Equirodi.com is worth looking at. They have recently opened a marketplace for new and second hand equestrian products called Equirodi Shopping - Matériel d'équitation neuf et occasion. I have bought and sold few saddles on it.
If you want to learn about the local events, the news website Lecheval.fr is also highly recommended. And the must see website (not equestrian) is Leboncoin.

Really hope this help. Enjoy France, the cheese and the wine (in moderation).

Palindrome

Visit site
You can graze horses on any agricultural land but there is an organism called the SAFER that is there to make sure land is available for farmers. They can stop the sale of agricultural land to private individuals where land is in high demands (generally only applies when there is more than 2-3 acres).

There is no right to roam but farmers are generally fairly tolerant (unless there is a fence or a sign clearly indicating that you shouldn't go there or you are actually in a field).

tristar

Visit site
i would check the average price of land, some areas its around 7000 euros per hectare, but can be very expensive in areas of high demand or certain crops, ie vineyards.

its always a better investment to buy a house with land i find