Moving older horses

Snrrsh

New User
Visit site
I have 2 old boys - 23 & 40. I have been on my current yard 10 years but it has gone downhill over the last few years - too many horses, poor grazing which is never treated or fed, muck spread with horse poo and far too little land. The menage is never levelled and its expensive. Nice stables, a solarium and a treadmill ( which is great in winter)

I could move to excellent grazing, separate paddock for mine, loads of well looked after land, nice stables and nice people. No menage which i don't use now anyway so all good but..... 2 weeks isolation in the field with no stable • some natural shelter and no one to fetch in in winter if i finish work late which often happens.

Do i move or not? 2 weeks in the field in this heat and taking them away from friends and their home! One has hind lameness issues so struggles and is top dog so injures himself so would be better paddocked but cant bear the thought of them in the heat or being unhappy - what should i do........

Irishbabygirl

Visit site
Wow! 40? That's a good age!
I would move if I where you - I've got an oldie and I try to keep him out as much as possible, only bringing in in the worst of the winter weather as being in isn't great for his joints and arthritis.
Two weeks out as long as they can shade from the sun somewhere should be fine - it's a small sacrifice for amazing grazing, which at their age is the most important thing - and all they really want for.
Best of luck!

kerrieberry2

Visit site
I would move, you could give it another few weeks and it might not be soo hot then! doesn't sounds like your current yard has got much to offer you anymore!

I'm sure they will settle well as they have each other! I've just moved my 28yr old mare, and she is totally fine, she came with my 3yr old boy and mini Shetland, so she's still with friends, but on a nice quiet yard, with loads of grass, she is very happy, didn't stress out one bit about leaving the other horses.

also how late do you tend to finish work? there might be someone else in your situation too, you might be able to help each other out in the winter but you wont know until the time arrives!

Hells Bells

Visit site
I have an oldie too :) if it were me, I would lean toward the second option- and from the tone if your post, your view seems to be more positive towards the move too.

You say there is some natural shelter, will this provide shade/hide them from the worst of the bad weather if you're late from work?

Also, it might be worth asking them if you could put up some form of shelter- you never know, they could be quite positive about it!

In terms of being late from work sometimes, perhaps once you've got to know these new people better, you could have an arrangement in place to bring your oldies in when they bring theirs if the weather is awful- it's a set up we have at my yard, that if its horrendous, whoever gets there first brings in Rocket too and then I sort him out properly as soon as I'm back.

I know I'm very lucky and if might not be possible at your new option, but can't hurt asking.

Good luck to you in whatever you choose to do :)

janietee_5

Visit site
I just moved my 40 year old and 20 year old. Was worried in case it upset them and they went downhill but the opposite has happened. They are so happy and have a new field mate who stops them from being so dependant on each other.

I have been thinking about moving for a year or so and finally got round to it last weekend and can't believe how quickly they settled.

As long as they have you and each other they should be fine.

Snrrsh

New User
Visit site
My younger one has bone spavin and a stifle injury so it makes sense to have them together but i worry about the heat now and standing in the cold stiffening up. There isn't an option to have them brought in and i don't think people would bring 2 in - soon to become 3! I love them and worry so much. Also they are in brick stables but would move to integral - which is airey and nice - but my 40 yr old has copd so i have to be really careful. He also has very little tooth so struggles with grass but is amazing as i feed him a fibre mash so it would be a long day in the cold! Its so difficult as they have always had the best and i don't want to compromise them....

Adopter

Visit site
The schools break up soon and the weather is sure to change!
Being serious I think in your position I would move. The good grazing is important, and as long as you fly spray etc they should be fine out for two weeks. If you have to could you pay for both places untilfor a few days until you fell there is a suitable weather window.

Congratulations a on keeping a horse fit till 40 as well

Snrrsh

New User
Visit site
Thank for your comments - I have to say I am proud of them both. I know I have to make a decision and I also know I will have regrets either way at some point! Very difficult when you want the best - but I guess common sense is telling me to do it but I have to live with the consequences of my actions if it all goes pear shaped.....

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
It might go pear shaped if you move, but then it might if you stay too. Either way if it goes pear shaped you will always think 'if only I had/hadn't.

So I think you should move to the new place: it might even give oldie a new lease of life and then you can claim the worlds oldest horse and get the mash feed company to pay for all his feed!

I moved a bit of a delicate older chap 5 years ago and after a wobble health wise to start off with (we did move 550 miles!) he is in better shape today at 20 than he was then!

liannexsx

Visit site
I moved my two a couple of months ago. I was really worried about the oldie who is 29 and had been at last yard for 11/12 years. She settled immediately which totally shocked me, and is actually eating better. The only problem was travelling. In her competition days she went all over the place. This time she loaded great until the ramp went 3/4 way up and went nuts! Then had a bit of a fall in the trailer. However all ended well. But she will never be asked to travel again. She is old, stiff and has bone spavin. She will live out her days in our new yard (which luckily we all love)

Spring Feather

Visit site
I very much doubt it will go pear shaped. I live in north america where we have huge extremes of weather ranging from +40c in the summer to -40c in the winter. I do retirement board here and have a number of ancient horses living on my farm from 20-odd years old up to those in their 30s. All live outside 24/7/365. They fare VERY well living like this. Many have come with terrible arthritis and copd and living out, after about a year, you would never know there was anything wrong with them. The old ones here have full access to barns whenever they choose or they can be outside in whatever weather. They almost always choose to be outside moving around all the time. So long as your horses are well rugged in the winter and have good shade facilities in the summer they should do great living out 24/7 :)

MochaDun

Visit site
Thank for your comments - I have to say I am proud of them both. I know I have to make a decision and I also know I will have regrets either way at some point! Very difficult when you want the best - but I guess common sense is telling me to do it but I have to live with the consequences of my actions if it all goes pear shaped.....

I totally understand your feelings. I'm moving too for the first time in 9 years, pony has only known the yard we've been at and is a creature of routine but he's only 17. He'll have to do 2 weeks isolation to start with which I worry about but before we came to our current yard he was at a private place with one other horse and only two rams for company and the hunter was often away so he should hopefully deal with it fine! I keep telling myself I need to give him more credit! But I know for him and I it needs to happen, I have lost my mojo totally where I am and need a good school I can actually ride in and others around to inspire me again, not to do quantities beyond hacking really as I can't afford lessons anymore but will be nice to have options to school, get jumping again etc if I want to.

Last edited:

Suelin

Visit site
I met some folk who moved their old horses last year twice and there didn't seem to be any problems. Older pony was 38 and another in it's mid 20's. They had gone from stabled at night to out 24/7.

pippixox

Visit site
its worth asking around at the possible new yard to see if anyone would mind bringing them in for you some evenings, especially when it gets dark so early. but it is very likely you will find people who will, for perhaps a little money. worth having them in a better place if they are safe to travel and it isn't too far

Circe

Visit site
I moved my horse when he was nearly 30yrs old. I didn't have a choice and he had to leave the yard he'd been at for at least 20years.
I was worried that he would miss his friends, I also wasn't sure how he would travel, as he hadn't travelled in the 10years I had known him.
He put up a bit of a show going in the trailer, but once in, he travelled really well. We were just extra careful and drove pretty slowely.
Once at the new yard, he settled in immediately, it was a new lease of life for him.
Kx

Snrrsh

New User
Visit site
Thank you everyone who has replied - it has been really helpful. Inspire of that I have decided to stay where I am. Inspire of not being perfect, there is an excellent support network which is vital in winter as i am sometimes late so in bad weather i know they are safe and warm till i get there. Also, if i lose one it would leave the other on his own - something neither have ever experienced. I have weighed it up and feel i have made the best decision for my boys. They are happy and settled and that's the most important thing. I can always relook at a later date if i feel it would benefit them.