Moving on from riding schools

WeedySeaDragon

Visit site
Something someone said on the 'Riding School Riders' thread got me thinking. It was something to the effect of people who have only ridden at riding schools being easy to spot as they don't know how to school properly without being taught.

So (and this is a genuine wondering) how do you move from being a riding school rider to being able to come up with schooling plans and execute them effectively?

I'm genuinely curious as I'm currently a riding school rider and hoping to get my own horse in the next couple of years. I'm paranoid about being rubbish and this is exactly one of the things that worries me. I'm enjoying my lessons but I do feel that I've almost hit a road block when it comes to improving as all the riding schools round here have 'normal' riding school horses and I feel like I could do with riding proper schoolmasters and learning to do things properly. I am trying pretty much all the local yards so I at least get experience on lots of horses but I can't help feeling frustrated.

So, how do you learn how to school a horse on your own? Can you teach yourself to do it or do you need the help of a trainer?

blood_magik

Visit site
I still had lessons with my RS instructor when I got my first horse.

I've now got a new horse and a new instructor but we still work together :)

I think of a goal and she helps us achieve it :D

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Don't worry about being a bad rider just because you are a riding school rider. Its not the case at all. One way of moving forward at a Rs is by having more private lessons, where the horse is alone, not following, and the focus is all on you..

You often lend to learn to school a horse when a problem arises! A lot of the people who have their own horses have no real idea how to school their own horse, despite riding round in circles in the school!

If and when you get your own horse, the best transition from RS to own horse is with the help of a trusted instructor and some private lessons on your own horse. Often RS instructors do freelance teaching too, so you may be able to tempt your fave one of them.. No need to put pressure on yourself, if you're having fun thats great!

be positive

Visit site
I saw the comment and was going to add that it is very definitely not just rs riders that have no idea what to do, I sell one or two each year and the general riding skills of so called experienced riders never ceases to amaze me. I usually have fairly smart, established allrounders that are used to being worked correctly, yet people come with no idea of what to do, I have to tell them to change the rein or have a canter or suggest they try the horse in the field not just in the school.
Most things are common sense, be prepared to do some ground work, go to some competitions and watch the better riders work their horses. If there is a Riding Club near you go along to meet people, offer to help if you have some free time, you will be very welcome and they will usually be happy for people to watch any training they are doing, it will not be too advanced and should give you constructive ideas, making some contacts for the future is a bonus.

rhino

Visit site
I feel that may have been my comment :eek:

You just need to be planned but able to adapt to the feel the horse is giving you, and comes with time/experience/practice.

What will your long term aims be? Competing Dr/ODE/Trec etc.
What does your horse find easy?
What does he find difficult? Is he generally stiffer on one rein, does one pace need work, does he need to 'learn' lateral work...

Before I get on (unless I'm hacking) I like to have a bit of an idea of what I want to achieve from the session. If I want to do polework or gridwork I'll have things set up at the correct distance before I tack the horse up. Maybe I will want to introduce a new lateral movement, or work on transitions.. Maybe you want to work on your position, work without stirrups or focus on holding your hands corretly... I don't just go in to 'ride'

Ride your warmup. Get the horse moving, stretching and bending actively. For some horses using the same warmup routine each time you ride can help settle them, so when you go to shows you would warm up the same way :)

Constant feedback from the horse - you need to be listening to them to be able to decide if you need to push on/back off or change track completely.. If I am in a bad mood I won't school at all, better just to hack out to chill :rolleyes: :D I am rather stubborn :eek: so I need to make ultra sure I'm asking my horse to do something within his capabilities.

It really is just about being disciplined, there are no 'tricks'. You want to enjoy the session, you want your horse to enjoy it and you want to feel you are improving. It's not difficult in the slightest, but you do need to remain mentally aware :D

Sorry for the essay :eek:

PS Sylvia Loch is fab :)

bluebellfreddy

Visit site
I rode at a RS for 7 years. I now have my own horse. I had lots of private lesson, like someone else suggested, I then loaned pony that stayed with owner. This is the good transition as u get to care for a horse but there is also somebody keeping an eye. I would keep have lots of lessons, when u get your own horse try to stay at the yard you loaned the horse from. It means u have a group of friends already and they will be able to help u. Hope u r enjoying your RS and it was a really good start for me.

Tash88

Visit site
This is a really interesting thread, so thank you for starting it.

I am an ex-riding school rider (left riding schools nearly six years ago now), but I have to say I still feel nervous schooling on my own sometimes (and I do it fairly regularly), not because I'm a nervous rider but because I worry that I don't know what I'm doing, even though I'm probably not that bad at all. I will never go into the school if someone else is in there and I hate being watched, I feel quite pathetic sometimes! It's a block that I really need to get over.

I have a lesson every fortnight and my instructor usually gives me something to work on, then I work on it for the next lesson. It's like having 'homework', generally things like lateral work, transitions, pole work. It really helps to give me a focus and I feel confident that I am improving my horse and myself when I'm schooling alone.

There are lots of books out there as well, which are really helpful. I think another thing is not to worry - I think that most people feel like this to an extent, and if you're in the school with someone else they should be more concerned about what their own horse is doing rather than watching yours, but it is still difficult.

karen_c

Visit site
You just need to be planned but able to adapt to the feel the horse is giving you, and comes with time/experience/practice.

What will your long term aims be? Competing Dr/ODE/Trec etc.
What does your horse find easy?
What does he find difficult? Is he generally stiffer on one rein, does one pace need work, does he need to 'learn' lateral work...

Before I get on (unless I'm hacking) I like to have a bit of an idea of what I want to achieve from the session. If I want to do polework or gridwork I'll have things set up at the correct distance before I tack the horse up. Maybe I will want to introduce a new lateral movement, or work on transitions.. Maybe you want to work on your position, work without stirrups or focus on holding your hands corretly... I don't just go in to 'ride'

Ride your warmup. Get the horse moving, stretching and bending actively. For some horses using the same warmup routine each time you ride can help settle them, so when you go to shows you would warm up the same way :)

Constant feedback from the horse - you need to be listening to them to be able to decide if you need to push on/back off or change track completely.. If I am in a bad mood I won't school at all, better just to hack out to chill :rolleyes: :D I am rather stubborn :eek: so I need to make ultra sure I'm asking my horse to do something within his capabilities.

It really is just about being disciplined, there are no 'tricks'. You want to enjoy the session, you want your horse to enjoy it and you want to feel you are improving. It's not difficult in the slightest, but you do need to remain mentally aware :D

Sorry for the essay :eek:

PS Sylvia Loch is fab :)

But it's a good essay :)

I'm still learning how to do all of this! Having been a riding school rider for years this year I have taken the plunge and bought a youngster - we are lucky to have a lot of back-up from his former owner and from a very good instructor who helped break him in and teaches in the classical style. She has essentially been teaching me all of what Rhino says above...the only thing I would add is always trying to finish the session on a good note when he has done something well :)

hcm88

Visit site
Do not worry! If you buy an experienced horse then you can learn from him, make sure you have frequent lessons and it will all come together :) It's how everyone does it, don't worry as I'm sure you're more than capable! Riding schools teach you enough to ride your own horse, but I do reccommend getting an instructor just to learn that little bit more and develop your riding when with your horse. But don't worry!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Go classical! Buy Sylvia Lochs book and see where you end up :)

Excellent idea!

In fact I would say read as much as you can, some you will think 'Yes! that will work for us'. Others won't ring any bells with you and you will discard their ideas but they will have got you thinking.

Another tip, is to pair up with a friend and give each other 'lessons'. This will help you to practise what your instructor has taught you and to explain it to someone else, which is proven to be the best way to remember/assimilate what you have learned.

Last edited:

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
Along with Sylvia Loch, try reading Mary Wanlass, Molly Sivewright and Heather Moffat, not all of it will work for everyone, but as they all teach basically the same stuff in different ways, it may help with understanding what the message is. Also agree with Rhino, have an idea of what you are doing and have the area you are working in set up for that plan. Maybe get some dressage tests and aim to work towards them, using sections of them to school to. It does help if your parents have the foresight to have two girls who are both interested in horses and then you have your 'instructor' on tap :D

ecb89

Visit site
I'm a riding school rider. Unfortunately my school shut in November due to lack of demand. I already knew a couple of years ago that I wanted a horse so I did my Bhs stage 1 & 2. I also helped my friend out with her loan pony. My riding school is still a livery yard so hopefully i will be keeping my horse there and will be having lots of lessons. People forget that everyone has to learn. Not everyone was lucky enough to be put on a Shetland at 6 months old. I had to wait til I was old enough to pay for my lessons, then a weekly lesson was all I could afford, now I can afford my own.

rhino

Visit site
Not everyone was lucky enough to be put on a Shetland at 6 months old. I had to wait til I was old enough to pay for my lessons, then a weekly lesson was all I could afford, now I can afford my own.

I didn't sit on a horse until I was 16! I don't think anyone is 'forgetting' that we all start somewhere :)

Potato!

Visit site
This is a really interesting thread, so thank you for starting it.

I am an ex-riding school rider (left riding schools nearly six years ago now), but I have to say I still feel nervous schooling on my own sometimes (and I do it fairly regularly), not because I'm a nervous rider but because I worry that I don't know what I'm doing, even though I'm probably not that bad at all. I will never go into the school if someone else is in there and I hate being watched, I feel quite pathetic sometimes! It's a block that I really need to get over.

I am the same. I grew up having weekly riding lessons from the age of 14 till i was about 16. then took a break from riding for 4-5 years then when i started riding again in a different part of the country I got a job at a local treking stables taking rides out on Dartmoor. I learnt loads but i must admit i have picked up some bad habits along the way.

I bought my own horse and took her hunting and to a local hunter trial but i am living in an area where riding school riders are criticised by riders. Therefore i feel like i know nothing and must be rubbish. I'm almost afraid to go competing or doing anything as i know what people say about other riders. I should know what im doing for god sake im 29 and there are 10 year olds riding better than i do. I have just bought a nice youngster who i am hoping to get up and going but due to myself conciousness im going to send him away for schooling and will then have some lessons on him with the person i send him to.

I really must ignore the snobby riders who look down on people who rode in a riding school as opposed to having their own ponies and doing the pony club circuit. Some of us just were not that lucky and have to make do with the options we have.

JFTDWS

Visit site
I really must ignore the snobby riders who look down on people who rode in a riding school as opposed to having their own ponies and doing the pony club circuit. Some of us just were not that lucky and have to make do with the options we have.

Most of us were in RS at some point. I had a pony as a teenager (or rather, I still have him) but I certainly wasn't on the PC circuit as we had no transport and I prefered to hack and play games on him anyway. I don't see why it should stop you competing now :confused:

Potato!

Visit site
Most of us were in RS at some point. I had a pony as a teenager (or rather, I still have him) but I certainly wasn't on the PC circuit as we had no transport and I prefered to hack and play games on him anyway. I don't see why it should stop you competing now :confused:

90% of the riders local to me grew up with horses and pony club not in a riding school environment.

I don't compete because i never really have and am scared stiff im going to look like an idiot, I feel I don't know what i'm doing at events and when you have everyone else ultra competitive and riding with what seems like so much confidence.

I hear them talking and criticising RS riders all the time i feel ashamed to have come from that background and don't like it when im being watched esp when schooling. As someone pointed out on a previous thread RS Riders stick out like a sore thumb esp in this area. I know i shouldn't feel like that but its very hard.

rhino

Visit site
I don't compete because i never really have and am scared stiff im going to look like an idiot, I feel I don't know what i'm doing at events and when you have everyone else ultra competitive and riding with what seems like so much confidence.

Take up Trec :D It's a fab, no-pressure atmosphere :)

cob&onion

Visit site
I started riding at a RS when i was 5, then my sister started a year after me. By the time i was around 7 mum and dad scraped enough together to buy my sister and i a pony (a RS pony) said pony was kept at the RS livery yard. We never went to PC, we did however go to a local show every other sunday - it was in hacking distance. We never had holidays or other treats as we had the pony, but me and my sister where very happy about it.
Mum started riding too - something she had always wanted to do but could never afford lessons growing up, large family 1 of 6) she was around 26 at that time and so did my dad (but he gave up after a few years) roll on 25 yrs later and my mum still rides and has her horses and so do i :) its a bit sad that i now live 90 mile away from her so we can never ride out together but this summer where planning on a few hacks when shes down as hopefully both my neds will be in work by then :D

Potato!

Visit site
Take up Trec :D It's a fab, no-pressure atmosphere :)

I did think about it but my confidence took a battering when my mare reared up and went over backwards with me out hunting that i feel self conscious when out and about as i couldnt take her as the didnt travel and reared at anything more exciting than hacking.

Although ive sold her now and have my youngster i still feel worried about going out to events

be positive

Visit site
90% of the riders local to me grew up with horses and pony club not in a riding school environment.

I hear them talking and criticising RS riders all the time i feel ashamed to have come from that background and don't like it when im being watched esp when schooling. As someone pointed out on a previous thread RS Riders stick out like a sore thumb esp in this area. I know i shouldn't feel like that but its very hard.

Thats a shame, I have a small livery yard several teenagers are lucky enough to have their own horses but 2 girls help at weekends and get the opportunity to ride and sometimes compete they are not rs riders but still not in the PC and have, I hope, never felt ill at ease when out at competitions. We try and help each other, the fun is taking part and riding as well as they can on the day, any bitchiness is usually aimed at the spoilt child on the expensive pony with all the gear, not someone that is inexperienced trying their best.
We are also in a strong PC/ hunting area with many overindulged kids.

sugarpuff

Visit site
Riding schools are a great place to start. 11 years ago I'd only ever ridden on holiday as a child and knew nothing about horses other than they had 4 legs and ran fast. 2.5 years ago I bought my first horse who I now school myself to novice/ elementary level dressage and show jump. He is not a novice ride as can throw all his toys out of the pram at times, but I've a fab instructor and together we have come a long way.

I was so proud the other week when an experienced friend rode him for the first time and was amazed at how light in the hand, balanced and responsive he was. Made my day! I know he's been worth all the blood, sweat and tears but it was nice to hear someone else say it too!

Sharing, loaning and riding LOTS of different horses has helped loads. It means I've now got a "bank" of different tools and techniques to deal with all sorts of things. I also ask lots of questions and listen to those with more knowledge. One thing I learnt early on with horses is you never stop learning. And I'm never afraid to ask for help. Oh, and I have an amazing instructor did I mention that!?