Moving onto spring grass.......do you do it gradually?

ru-fi-do

Visit site
We are changing fields tomorrow, there's been quite a flush of grass. I'll only be putting my mare out for a few hours as she can be a bit colicky, she just stuffs herself silly. I'm going to leave her in until dinnner with a haynet then put her out until teatime. Just wondered out of interest if anyone else turns out gradually onto the spring grass??
smile.gif

kellyeaton

Visit site
ya i put mine out for a couple of hours on a small piece do this until eatin off then start moving fence gradually always make sure she has a full tummy before she goes out then she will not want to eat so much grass!

Slightly Foxed

Visit site
It kind of happens gradually by default as my neds stay on the winter paddocks until May, so the grass is coming through gradually on the somewhat poached winter paddocks.

The neds are going to be even fatter once they move onto the summer paddocks!

Marchtime

Visit site
Very gradually. Mine is also a colicky TB so he's only going out for 3hrs a day for the next little while and he's spending the weekends in the eaten down winter fields. The other colic prone horse on our yard is on a similar routine, we're lucky our yard owner is very cautious so doesn't mind.

Ellies_mum2

Visit site
Ours will be going out into new fields today and out 24/7 I think but the grass is just starting to come through nicely so hoping no 'Spring grass fever' (naughtiness) any more than we've already had
tongue.gif

SNORKEY

Visit site
If there is a lot strip graze it, id keep the turn out hrs a bit shorter for the first week and cut their hard feed right down and exercise every day, im always scared of laminitis after loosing one from it.

Chavhorse

Visit site
I am moving from his resent yard 3 hours turnout on short grass to 24 hour turn out at the end of the month.....going to go very gradually;

Day one 2 hours

then increase by 2 hours every 3 days

All the time watching poo like a hawk