Moving to barefoot.

cobgirlie

Visit site
I'm thinking of moving 1 of my boys over to barefoot. He's a medium weight cob and has been shod since being backed at 3. He's now 9. He's moving to a new home next week and will only be hacked out during weekends in the winter and more hacking when we have light nights. It's mostly lanes with some grass tracks, beach riding and very occational XC and jumping.

So basically what do you recommend I do, I have the choice of a excellent farrier or we do have an equine podiatrist(sp) locally. Would you call out the farrier to discuss or would the podiatrist be a better idea?

Also any feeds or supplements I can give him to help his hooves? He's always had excellent feet and we rarely if ever loss shoes or have any issues. He's shod every 8 weeks ish and he's never had absesses or anything feet related at all.

ThePony

Visit site
If you have a good farrier then there is no need to change I think (though others swear by their trimmer/podiatrist). Diet is most important. What is he fed currently? No sugar, high fibre is the best diet regardless of wether he is shod or not, but you will see the effects of a poor diet more with a barefoot horse. More work is better when he has his shoes off (within the boundries of what he is comfortable with) as it stimulates the foot and encorages it to grow better quality horn and builds up the frog and heel areas. I found Feet First to be an incredibly useful book to start getting my head around it all! I think I way over worried though as I got my mares diet sorted (I was ignorant of how bad sugars were for them) and then had her shoes off - bless her she has been sound ever since and moves much more freely! The farrier sees her ever 6 - 10 weeks and gives her a roll. She keeps them trimmed and balanced perfectly so a roll is all she needs.

cobgirlie

Visit site
:D Luckily he's on a no sugar diet as he's sugar intolerant so he's currently fed Calm & Condition with no sugar chaff and ad lib hay. Come summer he'll be moved back to Fast Fibre. I'm assuming this diet has maybe been the reason he's had such good feet while being shod then?

My farrier is very old school, he's in his 70's so not hugely keen on barefoot, I have sounded him out before and he mumbled something about the horse being half Shire and heavy so needed shoes....so not sure he'll be very supportive!! :rolleyes:

Thank you I'll definately invest in that book, I'm determinded to do it right I don't want to ruin the good feet he has.

LucyPriory

Visit site
Best wishes for your move to barefoot

You might find these posts helpful.

http://barefoothorseblog.blogspot.com/2010/09/ouchiness-several-hours-post-shoe.html
http://barefoothorseblog.blogspot.com/2010/08/for-people-considering-transitioning.html

For this third one the horse is/was only three, unbroken and very lame. Prescription/advice from lameness expert and farrier was to shoe.

http://barefoothorseblog.blogspot.com/2010/10/and-good-news-is.html

A diet change and a trim and he came sound.

Heavies don't need shoes, but they do need good foot care the same as the rest of them :)