Moving to Canada with horses?

thebayhorse

New User
Visit site
Hello everyone!

In around 1 month I will be moving to Canada! Very exciting times. Have booked flights, bought house - even managed to get a job.

BUT, after doing extensive research I need to ask some questions as I am confused by what several different websites seem to be disagreeing on.

1. Is there any quarantine for horses when they are transported? (I'm aware there is none this side)
2. How much different will it be, care wise, lessons, hacking/riding in general and weather wise will it be over there?
3. If anyone owns a significant amount of land - is another hand necessary for 136 acres of land? #

Thanks x

thebayhorse

New User
Visit site
wherabouts in Canada? My friend moved out to Langley BC several years ago.

not sure what you mean about 136 acres and another hand?

Going to be very vague just for privacy but outskirts of Labrador City. The house I move to has 136 acres and as I will be living there alone I'm wondering if I'd need a hand to help care for all of the acreage

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
Going to be very vague just for privacy but outskirts of Labrador City. The house I move to has 136 acres and as I will be living there alone I'm wondering if I'd need a hand to help care for all of the acreage

yes, I would say so!

winters are colder, summer is hotter and from what she says, horse care is erm, a little more rustic. I've been to Quebec but not up to Labrador.

as for quarantine, can't your transporter advise? I thought there was some quarantine this side although it doesnt have to be in a facility?

DD

Visit site
Just taken a look on google earth. WOW WOW WOW. gonna be cold in winter though. Hope you have a fabulous life there x

crabbymare

Visit site
There is no quarantine this end, but they do need to be isolated from when the blood tests are done until they leave. That has to be at an approved place so its often done at the quarantine yard of the shipper if where the horse is kept is not able to be certified.

texas

Visit site
Regarding horse care, my ex farrier moved out there and from what I gather they don't regulate farriers in terms of training the way we do, so he with his UK training was very much sought after.