Moving to Cornwall, need vet and farrier recommendations!

Mince Pie

Visit site
Hi all, I will be moving myself and the pony down to the Nanpean/Roche/South Bodmin areas at the end of the month. Can anyone recommend vets/farriers/dentists please? Also where would the nearest tack/feed shop be?

Mince Pie

Visit site
That's great, thank you, they look to be quite close by :)

Is there a Cornwall Riders Facebook page or something similar?

pip6

Visit site
Penmellyn vets (especially Ruth Varcoe) and Calweton vets (especially Paul Hallum) are very highly recommended by me. My farrier is Steve Dubey, who does a good job and is reliable, but not sure if he covers your area (I'm about near Launceston). Can pm you his number if you want. Our local merchants are Maunders, Patch and Acre (formally Cornwall Farmers) and Mole Valley. If I can help any further, pm me.

happyclappy

Visit site
enmellyn are good vets, as are rosevean veterinary pracrtice, but they are probably too far away, can also highly recommend james mundell farrier, but he is also a little far away

maggiehorse

Visit site
welcome to cornwall i,m in bodmin and highly recommend harleigh vets and my farrier megan urall is excellent , the horsey scene here is very good and diverse , st austell bay riding club would be a good place to start

Mince Pie

Visit site
Amazing, thank you! Maggiehorse the yard I'm looking at is St Wenn near Bodmin and looks to be quite close to Goss Moor Nature Reserve - can you ride there?

BSL

Visit site
sorry to stereotype, but all thoughs cream teas. Good luck, ,may you be very happy. What a lovely part of the world.

Mince Pie

Visit site
Thank you! I am so excited, I can't wait! Have been chatting to someone from a community page on Facebook and it turns out she knows the yard I am looking at and has given a positive review, plus she keeps her horse(s) nearby so has offered to be a hacking buddy :) All I need now is a job :eek3:

Cluny

Visit site
Firstly welcome to Kernow, best place in the world to live! :)

Another vote for Harleigh Vets, although they are now called Kernow Vets as they have merged with a couple of other practices. Particularly recommend Ron Fraser there.

Can recommend Andrew Prout farrier, although he is based at St Breward so not sure if he'll come as far as you, but he comes out and shoes our horses on a Sunday morning, so he's keen!

lurcherlu

Visit site
If its reply to my reply about a job tell them lucy who used to work in helston store said you're brilliant to work for and recommended getting a job there ;) flattery will get u a job with that man haha

Mince Pie

Visit site
Thanks again for all the help! Is there much in the way of hacking round that area? Have looked on a map but not seeing many bridleways :( If there is, is there anywhere to have a good pipe opener?
PS if any of you are in the Nanpean area, my kettle is always on :wink3: