Moving to France

Spange

Visit site
We're seriously toying with the idea of moving to France - largely as we can get a house with land out there which we can't in the UK.

Question is - is it fair to travel my horse down there? I'm hoping it'll be only a one way trip. But it's south of france - so probably a good 13-14 hour journey. He's a 16.2, 9 yo gelding - no health problems.

Also - has anyone ever done a move like this? how did you find it??

sunshine19

Visit site
Hi Spange,

We moved to France 7 months ago from NE Scotland and love it! My cobs were transported by Gillies and John Parkers. We are at the Loire/Charente border. It took 4 days for my boys to arrive, fresh as daisies and looking happy :)

Last edited:

MardyMare

Visit site
I think Booboos on here also moved to France if you need someone else to ask. I moved to the UK from South Africa - brought dogs not horses though. Good luck with it all.

traceyann

Visit site
I moved to france with horse you cant get decent horse food here good farriers are rare close your eyes to how some of the french treat their horse and good horse vets are like rocking horse poo on the plus side it good to have your horse in the back garden but you have to hack alone because hardly any french ride and if they do galloping on roads is no problem for them just trying to be honest but i love the life and hacking on roads are a pleasure

goldanas49

Visit site
Well I moved to the Maine et Loire and the first thing I would say is , do not move to France if you're doing it because you think it's cheap. Property is cheaper but things have changed in the last five years and the cost of living in general is as high as in the UK.
Riding out here is different in that it's less driven by money and having the latest crystal studded bridle than in the UK. You don't come across people wearing high viz , and some people at my school wear no helmets. I've had one bad farrier and one good one, havn't seen people gallop on tarmac and find that basic horse feed works for my ones.
People over here are less judgemental on other riders than in the UK and take more of a live and let live attitude. Their animal husbandry is good , but that doesn't mean that they automatically rug up if not needed and I have never seen one of those fly hat things here. People do treat them as animals , not as humans, which for some people is refreshing.

Booboos

Visit site
Just moved over with 4 in September. PM me for more details on my transport company, I was not impressed. Horses were a bit lively for a couple of weeks because of all the changes, but I think they coped well with the move (we are actually thinking of spending some time in France and some in UK so doing the move regularly).

As others have said, the cost of life here is very high, I would say food, utilities, etc are slightly more expensive, there are loads more taxes and if you want to hire someone to help you or run a business be prepared for insane social contribution costs (e.g. if you hire a groom at a per hour price, you pay 60% on top of their wage for social security).

Horsey life is a little bit different here, but nothing you can't adjust to. French horse feeds are pretty rubbish but there are suppliers of UK feeds if you look hard enough! Local riding clubs are extremely helpful, well equiped and the best place to make friends. Vets and farriers vary in competence but the good ones are as good as the UK ones and as always word of mouth is the best way to find them! There is a lot less competing here, almost no showing, some dressage and eventing and more SJ, although there is an enormous amount of paperwork to get through before you can register your horse and yourself before you can compete. Hacking is usually a lot better and in many areas quite spectacular by UK standards.

Finally anywhere up North is very horsey (near Samuir is horse paradise), the South is not too bad, but the middle bit (e.g. Limousine) can be very difficult for horse owners, with literally no horse vets for miles and miles and no horsey facilities.

The weather down south is pretty brilliant though! It has only rained for 6 days in the 9 weeks we have been here! :)

minime

Visit site
I moved to North Italy years ago and I have travelled to France, Germany,Holland and Switzerland for shows. As long as the horses are fed, watered and rested correctly there will be no problem.
Good luck

JCWHITE

Visit site
I didnt realise there were as many of us on here!
I am in SW., 2 hours from Bordeaux.
Endorse lots of the comments, my horse at 19 travelled really well with JP,
Come with an open mind, remember to do as much research as poss, work, tax, legalities, health insurance.
I recommend a Forum called Total France, there is a horsey section on there too,
Possibly spend time renting, and leave a bolthole in uk if all goes xxxx up!!
Pm me if you would like
JC
Oh, and you have to put up with the flies as NOTHING works!!

applecart14

Visit site
We're seriously toying with the idea of moving to France - largely as we can get a house with land out there which we can't in the UK.

Question is - is it fair to travel my horse down there? I'm hoping it'll be only a one way trip. But it's south of france - so probably a good 13-14 hour journey. He's a 16.2, 9 yo gelding - no health problems.

Also - has anyone ever done a move like this? how did you find it??

My friend moved with three of her horses, one was in her thirties. They are all doing really well and the weather appears to agree with them. My friend has lots of acreage, the people are really friendly, she has found work, she is backing and producing youngsters for people, and she has met a new fella! She is in her element and she is 52+ years of age!!

Hi JC White, glad you are loving it still. Far cry from rainy old Solihull!

Spange

Visit site
thanks all. some really useful info here. We're going with the intention of improving quality of life. i'm hoping to work a bit remotely and OH is looking to do the same eventually.

my horse has bad feet and needs shoeing about every 4-5 weeks. do you think that would cause issues?? for his companion, i'm lookign for something more hardy - so any recommendations also gratefully rec'd!

Aces_High

Visit site
Our horses get flown to Australia, USA, South Africa, Dubai, Hong Kong. They all travel fine. On a more realistic note we road travel horses to Italy, France, Ireland etc to race and they are all fine and good to go on arrival. Your guys will be fine. If you want recommendations of international transporters I am happy to pass them on. Also - do you want a lodger? I love France but come with several 4 leggeds.....

sunshine19

Visit site
thanks all. some really useful info here. We're going with the intention of improving quality of life

That is exactly why my husband and I moved to France. Although it has only been 7-8 months we've been here, we both love it. I can see my boys from my window and have miles and miles of forest to hack in. The countryside is beautiful and the pace of life slower....Bliss! :)

My Section D has COPD, he has not coughed once since getting here, the climate really suits him. I have a great vet and a fantastic farrier. Getting low energy fibre based feed was a bit of a pain to source, sorted now though! Everything else horsey, I get delivered from the UK no problem ie Wormers, tack, clothes etc. Ride Away deliveries usually arrive within 2-3 days, excellent service :D

The flies are pretty grim the further south you go, access to a decent sized field shelter partly eases that problem. Ticks!! Awful little buggers! My yearling colt was very ill with PiroPlasmosis, within 6 weeks of getting here. It was a steep learning curve! All of them are now dosed every 8 weeks with Coopers Spot On.

General life... Fantastic! Our neighbours are so friendly and everyone has been very welcoming. My husband speaks French and I rely on 'O' grade French from 30 years ago to get me by. Lol!

JCWHITE

Visit site
Spange. I am glad your replies are of use to you.
As for farrier, you may need to search a bit, you will find someone who suits you in the end!
Some shoe for endurance, some for competition, some for heavy horses, recommendation will be the best way to go when you have made a few more arrangements.
Make re friends with your local Club,you can research Clubs on the FFE website.
And when you have more of an idea where you are going, post again, I am sure you will meet someone that has experience of the area.
JC