Moving to Harpenden.......

Biglets Mummy

Visit site
Hello all dear forum users.....

Well the decision is made , the dates are set and we are relocating with my job to the rather lovely and leafy Harpenden in Hertfordshire shortly.

I have family and friends in the area but no one remotely horsey so could I put a few feelers out to you all for any recommendations for Farriers , Feed stores , Vets , hay and straw merchants....Im starting completely from scratch so a little daunted but a little excited as well.

Anyone local that can help?

Thanks as always.

Astra

Visit site
Lucky you. Lovely (and incredibly expensive!) town.

Farrier: Antony Marris - he has a page on facebook
GW Titmuss in wheathampstead will be your local feed and forage merchant
For vets I recommend Farr & Pursey (based in Aldbury) - there may be others closer to you, but they are excellent.

Hope you enjoy your new home.

Biglets Mummy

Visit site
Lucky you. Lovely (and incredibly expensive!) town.

Farrier: Antony Marris - he has a page on facebook
GW Titmuss in wheathampstead will be your local feed and forage merchant
For vets I recommend Farr & Pursey (based in Aldbury) - there may be others closer to you, but they are excellent.

Hope you enjoy your new home.

Thank you so much Astra - really appreciate it and googling as we speak !! Yes - expensive doesn't even go there does it !!! Bread and water rations for 6 months "

Molasses

Visit site
Used to live nearby to there 3 jobs ago :)
Fab spot and really convenient for London work, but very expensive spot with bizarrely amazing hacking. The area around Nomansland and the Heartwood you could hack all day off road it's fab. GWJ Titmuss is also right on your doorstep which is a fab feed merchants also doing hay/straw and free delivery if you buy in bulk. Tim Prutton was my farrier when I lived there and can't recommend him enough. It's a bit of a black hole for competition venues now that Patchetts is gone though sadly, even a descent venue like Keysoe or MK or Brook Farm are all over an hour away. It's good for local summer shows though and good for riding club (though you're again in a bit of a black hole being mid-way between a lot of different clubs like Stevenage or North Mymms or Caddington but none right on your doorstep.
It's a funny old spot. like mid-way to a lot of things but nothing but good hacking on your doorstep - which makes it worth it really.

Titmuss always have a great notice board going on their stairs (or did!- probably still do) for things like dentists or saddle check services.

Astra

Visit site
Don't agree that it's a bad area for competition venues. Yes losing Patchetts was a blow but Bury Farm in Slapton isn't that far away, and Addington/Quainton Stud are a bit further over still. Admittedly I'm over the Herts/Beds border, but I feel I've got plenty of competition options.

Biglets Mummy

Visit site
Fab spot and really convenient for London work, but very expensive spot with bizarrely amazing hacking. The area around Nomansland and the Heartwood you could hack all day off road it's fab. GWJ Titmuss is also right on your doorstep which is a fab feed merchants also doing hay/straw and free delivery if you buy in bulk. Tim Prutton was my farrier when I lived there and can't recommend him enough. It's a bit of a black hole for competition venues now that Patchetts is gone though sadly, even a descent venue like Keysoe or MK or Brook Farm are all over an hour away. It's good for local summer shows though and good for riding club (though you're again in a bit of a black hole being mid-way between a lot of different clubs like Stevenage or North Mymms or Caddington but none right on your doorstep.
It's a funny old spot. like mid-way to a lot of things but nothing but good hacking on your doorstep - which makes it worth it really.

Titmuss always have a great notice board going on their stairs (or did!- probably still do) for things like dentists or saddle check services.

Thank you so much Molasses - that really helps put my mind at rest - and I have to say I was blown away with Nomansland - All hat hacking and a commute out of London - which i will be doing 3 days a week ! You have helped as its a little daunting moving but Im starting to get quite excited now !! Thank you loads

Molasses

Visit site
Don't agree that it's a bad area for competition venues. Yes losing Patchetts was a blow but Bury Farm in Slapton isn't that far away, and Addington/Quainton Stud are a bit further over still. Admittedly I'm over the Herts/Beds border, but I feel I've got plenty of competition options.

True, they're all over an hour away if you're in actual Harpenden though and Pats used to be a half hour drive if traffic gods were with me. I always love having something inside of an hour away. Once the clock ticks over an hour i find it hard to fit things in around work etc The drive to Bury from Harpenden was a beast i found, so many bendy hilly stretches it also took me an hour or more given Dunstable. But i think you can bypass Dunstable now! So that's something!

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I love Harpenden often go there for lunch and shopping there are some great restaurants and pubs nearby and your also very near St Albans which is lovely.

can recommend Tittmus shop there all the time I use Terry Pitman for shoes great farrier, Chiltern equine vet's have been brilliant, I can hack to Nomandsland and Heartwood from where I am it's great hacking especially in the summer, there are some local shows Stevenage riding club hold jumping, dressage and showing stuff, and you have oaklands college that hold a variety of events all year round.

I have only lived in Hertfordshire for 5.5 years and knew no one had no clue of the area and although my horses are at home I have made plenty of friends and we love living here, am always happy to meet up if you want a chat and maybe make a horsey friend:)

Biglets Mummy

Visit site
I love Harpenden often go there for lunch and shopping there are some great restaurants and pubs nearby and your also very near St Albans which is lovely.

can recommend Tittmus shop there all the time I use Terry Pitman for shoes great farrier, Chiltern equine vet's have been brilliant, I can hack to Nomandsland and Heartwood from where I am it's great hacking especially in the summer, there are some local shows Stevenage riding club hold jumping, dressage and showing stuff, and you have oaklands college that hold a variety of events all year round.

I have only lived in Hertfordshire for 5.5 years and knew no one had no clue of the area and although my horses are at home I have made plenty of friends and we love living here, am always happy to meet up if you want a chat and maybe make a horsey friend:)

Oh Pinky boots that is so kind of you - my boys will be living at home so can I PM you once I have a move date - that would be great and its lovely to hear that you love living there - I am quite looking forward to it now - will drop you a PM xxx

spottybotty

Visit site

Tim Prutton is my farrier, fantastic farrier. If you want his number just PM me. Titmus are brilliant . There is Knebworth Dressage club, Gill Brown holds reguler comps at at Shuttleworth College and Oaklands College. Stevenage and District riding club hold jumping indoors at Chesfield once a month. There is lots going on!

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Oh Pinky boots that is so kind of you - my boys will be living at home so can I PM you once I have a move date - that would be great and its lovely to hear that you love living there - I am quite looking forward to it now - will drop you a PM xxx

lucky you keeping them at home it's the best thing I ever did, I will look forward to hearing from you:)

Pinkvboots

Visit site

lucky you keeping them at home it's the best thing I ever did, I will look forward to hearing from you:)

gingerfan

Visit site
Welcome to sunny Harpenden. The downside is that it is an expensive area and everyone thinks if you live here you are wealthy! However, as OP have said the south Harpenden area has great hacking with Heartwood Forest and two commons - Nomansland and Harpenden - on which horseriders have open access so can ride all across. On either side there is an extensive network of bridleways and byways so you can literally go for miles in any direction with just a few road crossings. We have a very proactive BHS access group! Unfortunately if you are competitive there are now only a few venues within 90 minutes and only one affiliated, Oaklands College in St Albans runs BD once a month. Traffic levels are horrendous which makes getting out competing midweek not the easiest, and can add considerably to journey times.There are a few low key dressage and SJ venues and local riding clubs - North Mymms and Stevenage - run a programme of events and send teams to the area BRC qualifiers. For vets I would recommend Rossdales Hertfordshire as the best in the area and they have the backup of their amazing Newmarket practice and hospital. My farrier (Lawrence from CLH Farriers) is brilliant, very good, reliable and helpful . Two local feed merchants, Titmuss and TC Feeds, depending which side of Harpenden you will be.

gingerfan

Visit site
I forgot to add, for hay and straw supplies (and any other things like field maintenance and muck removal) I would make friends with a local farmer. I now keep my horse on a local farm, but for many years shared a private yard with friends and it was a steep learning curve but getting to know the local farmers was definitely the biggest help. I've kept horses in the St Albans area for many years and in Harpenden for nearly 17 years, so if there's anything you need to know, please just ask - we're a very friendly lot down here!

Biglets Mummy

Visit site
I forgot to add, for hay and straw supplies (and any other things like field maintenance and muck removal) I would make friends with a local farmer. I now keep my horse on a local farm, but for many years shared a private yard with friends and it was a steep learning curve but getting to know the local farmers was definitely the biggest help. I've kept horses in the St Albans area for many years and in Harpenden for nearly 17 years, so if there's anything you need to know, please just ask - we're a very friendly lot down here!

Thank you so much Gingerfan - Its great to know that its friendly - If its ok I will drop you a PM once the move gets closer ? Hugs and thanks for the message x