Moving to Ireland and have a list of horsey questions!!!

bluebellfreddy

Visit site
(And some none horsey ones!)

Can anyone help me even with just on question

1. I am going out alone first for a few days to see if job will work then bring the horse out after. What is the least amount of time horse transporters will pick up your horse? Would they be able come and pick up a horse with in a few days of planning?

2. How much stuff can you put in the lorry the horse is transported in if using a horse transporter?

3. What sort of price will a last minute pick up be going Hampshire to Carlow?

4. Have people only used UK bank accounts in republic? I am not sure if it is worth opening a irish account.

5. What will I need in terms of insurance? Thinking if I get kicked by a horse, will I get all free medical care?

6. What happens with tax? Will I pay all my tax in UK or will I need to pay some on Ireland?

Sorry for long list, I have been offered my dream job and am moving over in a couple of weeks. So trying to get things organised! This list may get longer, but hoping I can get at least some things sorted!

stormox

Visit site
You should get medical insurance, no NHS here its like America. If you are being paid in Ireland you have to get a ppi no. and pay tax. If you use a UK sterling account you have to pay extra at cash machines. No idea about the transport questions you will have to check with transporter.

Mule

Visit site
I would get private health insurance. You can get a medical card to cover the cost of treatment but it's means tested. I would get an Irish bank account because of extra charges with a UK based account. You would pay tax in Ireland. I'm afraid I don't know anything about transporters.

druid

Visit site
Free medical care in Ireland BUT you pay to visit the GP and €100 "service fee" for A&E/hospital visit - treatment resulting from those is free. Private health insurance will mean a private room in hospital and fast tracking of some ops if they can be done at a private hospital.

You will need an Irish bank account or you'll end up paying masses in foreign exchange fees.

Shipping is around the €500 mark and will be to fit in with a shared load usually

Irish gal

Visit site
You'll have no prob getting the horse transported, companies are going regularly and I'm sure don't have a full load coming back so would be delighted to have you. Prices from Carlow to Hampshire would probably be max £400, it would be cheaper but Hampshire is so southerly, it's out of the way. So the reverse journey will be the same.

I send horses over regularly and prices vary with companies. These two are very good and not really expensive. George Mullins Transport and Castlepark Equine Transport. Just google the info and call them.

As an EU citizen (not for long!) you're entitled to medical care here just like an Irish person. I wouldn't worry about insurance for now, if you've an accident you'll be taken to a hospital and treated. But people here like to get health insurance so they don't have to go on a long waiting list for procedures and can get an operation or procedure immediately if needed.

Your bank account will be fine for now but as others have said you'll save money with an Irish one. Carlow is a gorgeous part of the world, I'm sure you'll enjoy!

Last edited:

tashcat

Visit site
Can't help much with the Ireland part, but with transporters I felt there were lots of ask which gave good options at good prices. We were moving a horse from Yorkshire down to Hampshire. The route through Hampshire isn't uncommon as they come from the ferries, and often go up to Ireland (or the other way around and you can get on a return load). However to get a shared load (and so a good price) you ideally need a couple of weeks. When I rang, they luckily had one spare space and could squeeze him in within a week, but realistically the more planned you can be, the better.

I can't remember the company we used, but they were great - brought our boy nearly 300 miles in a lovely 3.5 tonne box by ourselves at a shared load price because everyone else cancelled but they still honoured the price - he had a great journey and we felt safe in the knowledge he was well looked after the whole time!

TheOldTrout

Completely Unknown Member
Visit site
Is this a permanent move or a short term one? I moved to Brussels for 6 months (years ago) on a secondment, so kept all my UK bank accounts and didn't open a Belgian one. I still had a UK employer so paid tax in the UK rather than Belgium. Hope that helps with questions 4 and 6 :)

bluebellfreddy

Visit site
Thank you for all the answers, really helpful. Will keep off health insurance for now and think I will try and get a bank account!

It may be a long term move. I am going to Sam Watson, to work with him at Equiratings and on the yard.

Think I will have a ring around transporters now, and tell them I may cancel.

Mule

Visit site
Thank you for all the answers, really helpful. Will keep off health insurance for now and think I will try and get a bank account!

It may be a long term move. I am going to Sam Watson, to work with him at Equiratings and on the yard.

Think I will have a ring around transporters now, and tell them I may cancel.

That job sounds fab!

nato

Visit site
If you are moving to work with Sam Watson surely he will help you source transport?

You'll need a PPS no and will have to pay tax. For ease id recommend getting a bank account set up here. Permanent TSB don't charge fees if you're putting 1500 pcm into the account.

If you can afford it I'd recommend health insurance but you'll be sorted for emergencies etc on our healthcare system. Public is a pain though.

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
Haven't read the other answers, but from moving 3 years ago:

1. They will be able to do it in a few days of planning but it will probably cost more. Most cost effective way is to get on a lorry that is coming back from your way anyway. If you are out of the way you can also save a fair few pence if you can get someone at the UK end to meet the lorry, my former YO did this for me and swapped him onto the lorry at the motorway junction (obviously assumes your horse is a good loader and there is somewhere suitable for the transfer).

2. You'll need to ask of course, but for me the huge lorry was almost empty coming back (mine and 1 more) so they took my wheelbarrow, haynets, bin full of feed, current / dirty rugs (the clean ones came with us), and first aid kit.

3. I paid about €400 I think, Somerset to Mayo, but not last minute.

4. My OH hasn't bothered getting an Irish account, he mostly uses cash, but I have one with Permanent TSB which is free as my wages go into it so we use that for DD etc. The problem with a UK account only is the charge for using your card each time.

5. I have health insurance through work. You should be able to get a European Health Card to cover you initially if you're not sure you are staying.

6. If you're being paid in Ireland I think you'll be paying your tax here. You'll need a PPS number and IME it takes AGES for one to come through so I'd be applying for that right now!