Moving to New Zealand

jen_lark85

Visit site
My partner has been offered a job in New Zealand starting next year (2009). However, I have no idea where to start on preparations. I would like to take my horse with me. Has anyone ever done this and have any advice?? Career- wise, I am a BHS- qualified instructor with a degree in Veterinary research. does anyone know if the BHS exam structure is recognised in NZ and if there is an equivalent over there? Also, I would be interested in working in a college yard over there- anyone know of any with a good reputation? Or ideas of where jobs are advertised? I would also be interested in doing something a little bit different in terms of a job- eg ranch work?
Basically, I haven't got a c lue and would be grateful of any help that anyone can give about the horse industry in New Zeland it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

dianchi

Visit site
there is someone on here that was asking about a show hunter she wanted to buy in NZ. Might want to contact her. The post is in competition.

Good luck!

Bozzy

Visit site
Wow...you lucky thing!! I don't have any advice to offer but just wanted to say how jealous I am, I'd love to emigrate to Oz or NZ!

My neighbour moved out there a couple of years ago though she sold her horse before going. She now teaches the PC teams out there and I know has done extra qualifications but have no idea what.

dixie

Visit site
My partner would love to move to NZ and he is busy trying to persuade me. We've been there a couple of times and it is truly a beautiful country.

You could try looking at www.horsetalk.co.nz as they have a forum etc.

I also understand its about £10k to transport your horse there and about £2k for a dog. I'm not too sure about the horsey scene but there were certainly a few shows on on North Island. I stopped at one near Hamilton and spoke to someone who said the show jumping scene was pretty busy all year round.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll have loads of fun.

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
Hi there,

My OH comes from New Zealand (south island) and therefore we have had many a lengthly conversation regarding a possible move there in the future.

From my understanding and from chats with people currently living in NZ it is a very similar set up however I am yet to find a BHS equivalent.

I am however jetting off to NZ in 3 weeks time (am way too excited now!!!)
grin.gif
and as well as the obvious visiting of relatives, I intend to get a good idea of what their equestrian lifestyle is like and will happily let you know any of my findings.

Do you know where abouts in NZ you would be moving to? I'll have a chat to my OH when he's home and see if he can answer any of your questions.
smile.gif

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
My partner would love to move to NZ and he is busy trying to persuade me. We've been there a couple of times and it is truly a beautiful country.

You could try looking at www.horsetalk.co.nz as they have a forum etc.

I also understand its about £10k to transport your horse there and about £2k for a dog. I'm not too sure about the horsey scene but there were certainly a few shows on on North Island. I stopped at one near Hamilton and spoke to someone who said the show jumping scene was pretty busy all year round.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll have loads of fun.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I think those figures are about right. When I told my OH I wanted to take my boy with me if we did move he said it would be far too expensive (around the 10k mark) and that he thought it would be more sensible if I sold him and that in exchange he'd buy me a new horse (or two) in NZ. Lol!
smile.gif

cazza

community.webshots.com
I have quite a few friends out there who are equestrian based so pm me and I'll forward you some numbers/e-mail addresses so you can get in contact with them. I am sure you will love it over there and will enjoy the lifestyle. It is expensive to export a horse over there but a mare or a stallion is cheaper to ship than a gelding.

muddy_grey

www.*******.com
Hi I also have a kiwi other half. It is expensive to take a horse there, but I think you can do it for more like £5000. It is a long trip though so they need to be fit for it.
Welligton is quite a horsey area so I'm sure you'll find some where.
The link below is to an international board the bhs is part of it and if you look at the exam matrix page it shows the equivalent levels.
http://www.igeq.org/
Hope this hasn't really confused you. Keep us posted as we may tto be off next year

kira

Visit site
Hi, I emigrated to NZ 2 years ago along with 3 horses and 2 dogs. PM me if you like and I can point you in the right direction for moving animals and living etc.

(Just for encouragement, I now live on 17acres in beautiful countryside and have 9 horses and certainly won't be moving back to the UK. Its the best move I have ever made!)