Moving to Northallerton/Thirsk/Malton (North Yorks)

Patch55

Visit site
Hi HHO,
So our flat is finally under offer and we can begin actually viewing houses in the above areas (yay!)

I will be working in Fulford so the reasons of choosing those areas are that it's an easy train in, whilst still being in a more rural setting and they come highly recommended by friends and family. After 5 years in London, I am so ready to get back to my country roots ?

What are the horsey areas like round there? Initially I will look to share for a while with the aim of buying my own again once we are all settled in. I am predominately a happy hacker, so good hacking areas appreciated!

We don't know the areas well at all, and live down in London, so any thoughts or general pearls of wisdom about areas and commuting into York would be welcome. We'll be spending the next few weeks trekking up and down, viewing properties and generally exploring.

HeresHoping

Visit site
Thirsk/Malton = much racing fraternity
Northallerton - has an equestrian centre - could be worth asking there.

All good hacking, really. York is one stop on the train and 12 minutes from Northallerton.

Prefer Northallerton over Thirsk (not the nicest place late at night).

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
Loads of horsey areas….get a train timetable, choose the amount of travelling time you want to do (to and from the station)and draw a big circle. Then look up livery yards and start the property search…you don’t want to be miles away from a yard when you do start owning again.?
Let us know how you get on.

Kaylum

Visit site
You know you could use the park and ride at the designer outlet and leave your car there and go into Fulford if your work has no car parking.

Widgeon

Visit site
We're in the Howardian Hills and the hacking is fantastic. The A64 is a reasonable road (I used to use it to commute to Heslington) so long as you get off it before peak times - it turns into a log jam at rush hour and on summer Fridays (caravans going to the coast). Whwn we lived in York a few years ago we looked at the viability of my OH commuting from York to Northallerton by train, but the cost was so vast, for a very short journey, we stuck with having a car each. Northallerton is a nice place, good shops and a proper market. I like Malton too. York itself is very busy and very expensive, but coming from London you're probably used to that.

There is one yard up here that you might want to avoid, I will drop you a PM in the unlikely event that you end up that far over.

[153312]

Visit site
We're in the Howardian Hills and the hacking is fantastic. The A64 is a reasonable road (I used to use it to commute to Heslington) so long as you get off it before peak times - it turns into a log jam at rush hour and on summer Fridays (caravans going to the coast). Whwn we lived in York a few years ago we looked at the viability of my OH commuting from York to Northallerton by train, but the cost was so vast, for a very short journey, we stuck with having a car each. Northallerton is a nice place, good shops and a proper market. I like Malton too. York itself is very busy and very expensive, but coming from London you're probably used to that.

There is one yard up here that you might want to avoid, I will drop you a PM in the unlikely event that you end up that far over.
Where's the nearest riding school/RDA to Heslington please

Widgeon

Visit site
There are no riding schools in central York anymore - the last one (Cottage Farm) went livery-only recently. The RDA have a useful map of their centres, and the Shipton-by-Beningbrough one (that's North of York) seems quite active. Then Ebor Vale RDA is out Pocklington way. Those will be your two closest. For riding schools that are not specifically RDA, there are a few but I don't know how good any of them are - Naburn Grange is (unsurprisingly) in Naburn, South of York. York Riding School is right on the ring road at the North of the city. Then there are more out towards Pocklington / Stamford Bridge way - Lacey's Cottage and Friars Hill are two I know of but have never used. Hope that helps a bit.

ETA - because the ring road is a bit of a pain you may find that your closest places are not the easiest to get to. Just worth bearing that in mind.

Patch55

Visit site
Thanks all - we spent the weekend up t'North and went exploring. Loved Thirsk, Easingwold and Haxby so these have become our prime search areas. We saw 4 properties but none quite right for us.
Widgeon - yes we have come to the same conclusion about Northallerton. Very useful info though, thank you.
I shall revert as soon as we have somewhere lined up!