Moving to Scotland with horses

indiat

Visit site
Hi All,

Despite being at our new place only a year, myself, the family and the herd are on the move again, this time for family reasons. It has been a terrible 18 months for us and we have come to the realisation that we really need to enjoy our families right now. We have both lived away from our families since we were 18 and we have finally got to the position where we are location-independent. So we are off to Scotland, where my family live and were we can get to Donegal quite easily for OH's family. We really want access to fantastic hacking and to be within a reasonable driving distance from Linlithgow, where my parents live. So we are looking at the Borders, Dumfries and Galloway and possibly Stirlingshire (although it's quite pricey compared to D&G). Does anyone have any advice for us? Thanks in advance!

FfionWinnie

Visit site
It rains a lot in D&G, that's why it's cheaper for land, it's really lush and fertile but winter turnout could be harder work. Lots of midges in the Borders, that's why it's cheaper ;)

West Lothian has a lot of interesting equestrian croft type places springing up. I'd look into them.

indiat

Visit site
Does anyone have any advice about Perthshire? OH has ruled out Aberdeenshire, says he doesn't want to be too cold!

lornaA

Visit site
I live in Dumfries and Galloway, Stranraer to be exact. It does rain a lot. West coast generally wetter but milder than further east. It can be a bit remote for horses if u do a lot of affiliated competing as there would be a lot of travelling. If u just do riding club level there is loads to do. There are some good beaches to ride on if u like that sort of thing.

Damnation

Visit site
I am in Carlisle but actually work in D & G and Ffion Winnie is right.. winter is long, hard and miserable. Summer you get eaten alive, can't win!!

However, land and houses are cheap around here!

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I'll give you a fiver if you sell to us.....

the higher you live, the less midges you get. although of course, its windier ;) Perthshire is beautiful but I dont know about property there. D&G as mentioned, is wet and windy but very lovely in parts-if you don't own your own land, year round turnout can be difficult to find.

I find West Lothian a bit grim tbh although there are a fair few more equestrian properties and some nice bits. Don't rule out the southern part of South Lanarkshire/Peebleshire-if you go down towards Abington/Crawford on the M74 property gets cheap quite quickly.

indiat

Visit site
Sorry, I should have made it clear, we are buying our own land to go with the house - the herd has grown to five and I can't afford livery!

Jenni_

www.facebook.com
I lived in Dumfries and Galloway for 2 years and I loved it. But as the others say, rainy!

I hail from South Midlothian which is bang inbetween Edinburgh and the borders - great horsey area with good yards and competition venues near enough by. Beaches near, and I love the hacking in my area. Linlithgow is about a 40 minute drive from me.

Also lived in Perthshire when I worked at Gleneagles, and most of my friends hail from that area. I also love Perthshire and it is also quite a horsey area, but more hunter trials / eventing wise. Beautiful part of the country though!!

indiat

Visit site
the higher you live, the less midges you get. although of course, its windier ;) Perthshire is beautiful but I dont know about property there. D&G as mentioned, is wet and windy but very lovely in parts-if you don't own your own land, year round turnout can be difficult to find.

I find West Lothian a bit grim tbh although there are a fair few more equestrian properties and some nice bits. Don't rule out the southern part of South Lanarkshire/Peebleshire-if you go down towards Abington/Crawford on the M74 property gets cheap quite quickly.

Thank you, will add those areas to the search list!

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
Thank you, will add those areas to the search list!

I live on the Southern Uplands, on a moor, midges are rarely a problem! But its very windy and wet with significant windchill over a long winter even if we don't get a lot of snow. It sounds awful but I absolutely love it. I have no big horsey ambitions though I do now have a lorry so I can at least box to local indoor schools if the mood takes me-but I don't want to compete etc I don't think it would be a great area for that.

lornaA

Visit site
I know an equestrian property for sale near Stranraer. It's called little glengyre. It is a house and land with stables 2 arenas and a workshop. I kept my horse there for a few months on livery.

indiat

Visit site
Tbh, IornaA, riding club level is fine for us! We mainly love to hack and just do some fun competitions. My non-horsey OH is very attracted to the area because of the beaches.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I am in midge free Perthshire. To achieve that you need to live on the top of a hill and fairly coastal preferably I would say. It's generally drier, good motorway links and lovely countryside with lots of decent equestrian centres who hold regular clinics and competitions. I'm afraid I can't sell for a fiver tho :p

I agree W Lothian is a bit miserable but I did visit equestrian customers in these croft developments and it was really rather nice and most of them had managed to put up very posh stables and an arena due to the price of land being so cheap. It would be close to your parents too.

Also look at Fife. Rural areas around Glenrothes Lochgelly and Kirkcaldy will be cheaper than Dunfermline for instance but still an easy journey to Linlithgow (except at rush hour) the towns are not the most wonderful but you would definitely get more for your money in those areas and you could shop in Dunfernline lol. Unless there's water around there aren't midge problems in those areas either as it tends to be drier. Kinross area for some reason it's always blinking raining there and it's not cheap.

Falkirk would be another slightly cheaper area I think.

Last edited:

indiat

Visit site
I am in midge free Perthshire. To achieve that you need to live on the top of a hill and fairly coastal preferably I would say. It's generally drier, good motorway links and lovely countryside with lots of decent equestrian centres who hold regular clinics and competitions. I'm afraid I can't sell for a fiver tho :p

I agree W Lothian is a bit miserable but I did visit equestrian customers in these croft developments and it was really rather nice and most of them had managed to put up very posh stables and an arena due to the price of land being so cheap. It would be close to your parents too.

Also look at Fife. Rural areas around Glenrothes Lochgelly and Kirkcaldy will be cheaper than Dunfermline for instance but still an easy journey to Linlithgow (except at rush hour) the towns are not the most wonderful but you would definitely get more for your money in those areas and you could shop in Dunfernline lol. Unless there's water around there aren't midge problems in those areas either as it tends to be drier. Kinross area for some reason it's always blinking raining there and it's not cheap.

Falkirk would be another slightly cheaper area I think.

Ah, you misunderstand, the fiver was the BRIBE for selling! :D Thank you for the tips, Perthshire is looking more attractive by the minute. I don't mind being cold but I do hate the wet. Fife is not somewhere we had considered so I will have a look. As long as the drive to Linlithgow is around 2 - 2.5 hours I can cope with that. And my cousin, who has children the same age as mine, lives in Kirkcaldy so that is another thumbs up.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Well you have quite a good search area then I would say. Howe equestrian is a good venue and it's all under cover even the warm up. You'd do that area of Fife to Linlithgow in under an hour other than rush hour, and it's all motorway.

Lots of options. Good luck with your search.

Visit site
Kinross is wet, miserable and on the edge of a Loch so midges every bloomin where!!!!!! But it is easy to get to places from here and a lot goes on around and about. Though it can be expensive due to its very easy commuting distances to Edinburgh, Glasgow, Perth and Dundee.

Dry Rot

Visit site
Midges like trees and don't like the sea. I am further north, on the coast just north of Inverness. Very few midges, lots and lots of hacking, cheaper land, and quite civilised these days. I wouldn't rule it out. Not much difference if you want to fly to London. I know someone local who commutes to the City on a weekly basis!

Regandal

Visit site
My friend lives in Blairgowrie and drives to Linlithgow every week to visit her mother. Very doable. Blair is horsey, and of course Perth is close.

hlb93

Visit site
I lived in Morayshire which is not as cold as you may think! Quite a lot of horsey people around and lots of nice hacking and beaches (Culbin and Rosiele for miles of forest and beach together). Also would say that D&G is quite rainy with lots of midges, Perthshire is beautiful, as are the borders/lothian area. Aberdeenshire may not be too cold if you are not near the coast, what about Deeside sort of area? Very pretty.

Jnhuk

Visit site
Live just in the Borders but just 15 mins south of the Edinburgh bypass off the A702 main route from A74 and bypass so very handy getting to places. BE events in Cumbria very doable with good roads. Equestrian properties are more expensive East Lothian and nearer Edinburgh. South Lanarkshire covers a large area of differing countryside so just don't lump it all in one category. Ayrshire & Fife is cheaper too so you can get a lot for your money if you go further out.

I love where I live and the hacking round my area is fab with drove roads, However, I do miss the stubble fields in the autumn unlike East Lothian and there are a lot of active clubs locally so depends on what you want to do - Trec, general RC, endurance, dressage and even some western clinics

Further into the 'proper' borders is lovely countryside but you are further away to get to places.

Nearest best beach for a cracking gallop is John Muir Belhaven Bay which is about a good hour away from me but well worth it.

Competition Venues are 45 mins to 90 mins away include: SNEC, Oatridge, West Lothian, ISEC near Selkirk, Rockrose near East Linton, Morris Equestrian (formerly Rowallan), Ingliston EC, Bishopton & Blueridge EC near Falkirk.

Flora

Visit site
I live in Renfrewshire which is expensive for rural property, but try Ayrshire. Its reasonably priced and has some parts are really nice.

indiat

Visit site
Thank you all so much for the ideas and the advice! I really need to come up and start looking around, I really only know Linlithgow/Falkirk area and all my family are townies! I was just telling a friend, who lives in Crieff, about D&G being wet and she said, "You're Irish, what are you worried about?!" :D I just need to come up and stay and get a feeling for places. What we all really want to do is hack. Eldest daughter loves hunter trials and endurance, Littlest loves dressage, so a bit of a mixed bag. But the hacking is vital, all of us get bored stiff otherwise.

Jnhuk

Visit site
Thank you all so much for the ideas and the advice! I really need to come up and start looking around, I really only know Linlithgow/Falkirk area and all my family are townies! I was just telling a friend, who lives in Crieff, about D&G being wet and she said, "You're Irish, what are you worried about?!" :D I just need to come up and stay and get a feeling for places. What we all really want to do is hack. Eldest daughter loves hunter trials and endurance, Littlest loves dressage, so a bit of a mixed bag. But the hacking is vital, all of us get bored stiff otherwise.

Have a nosey at these site then for hacking info :)

http://www.southofscotlandcountrysidetrails.co.uk/where-to-ride/

https://www.southlanarkshire.gov.uk/downloads/file/4611/riding_in_lanarkshire

Also can get access to Pentlands, Ae forest etc.... lots of opportunity to explore!

Hacking round Peebleshire also good - Traquair & Cardrona, John buchan way

Wee picture of a gallop along Belhaven Bay to whet your appetite!

http://s1060.photobucket.com/user/jnhuk/media/P1070865.jpg.html]
P1070865.jpg

Come up and explore! PM me if I can be of any further help!

Last edited:

indiat

Visit site
Have a nosey at these site then for hacking info :)

http://www.southofscotlandcountrysidetrails.co.uk/where-to-ride/

https://www.southlanarkshire.gov.uk/downloads/file/4611/riding_in_lanarkshire

Also can get access to Pentlands, Ae forest etc.... lots of opportunity to explore!

Hacking round Peebleshire also good - Traquair & Cardrona, John buchan way

Wee picture of a gallop along Belhaven Bay to whet your appetite!

http://s1060.photobucket.com/user/jnhuk/media/P1070865.jpg.html]
P1070865.jpg

Come up and explore! PM me if I can be of any further help!

This is brilliant, thank you so much!

Chiffy

Visit site
I live right on the coast past Stranraer it is beautiful. I spent most of my life in Hertfordshire so it was a huge risk. I find the weather no bother, the rain is not exceptional and the winters are mild. Amazing things survive in my garden that didn't down south.
The horses fields overlook the sea and we are rarely bothered by flies and only very occasionally by midges if there is a damp and humid evening.
There is a thriving, friendly riding club. We event and have had to get used to travelling but the series of Cumbrian Horse Trials are only 2hours away.
Having said that,we are off to Perth in the morning for a weekend's eventing and that is 3 hours!

rachk89

Visit site
Maybe try Perthshire or Fife areas. I don't recommend the highlands unless you have proper native horses. The scenery is lovely but the fields get destroyed in winter so unless you have horses who live on air you will need to buy a lot of hard feed. My horse couldn't cope really and now that hehas moved to an area with fields that have grass all year round I have had to reduce his feed a lot as he got fat! But for natives it's fine it's only him and the other warmblooded variety that don't tend to cope well.

indiat

Visit site
We have a Highland pony, an Icelandic, two Welshies and a Gypsy cob! Another reason we are looking forward to moving, the grazing is far too lush where we are now and they can't live out. Although one of our welshies is a drama queen about the weather. :D