Moving to Smallholding - land questions

Lacuna

Visit site
SO We've finally accepted an offer on our house and it looks like our move to a smallholding in Wales is going full steam. We have a 3.5 acre smallholding lined up in North Pembrokeshire only 10 min drive from the coast. To say I'm excited is the understatement of the year, even the OH is now learning horsy routine so he can help out (never thought I'd see that day!)

The land is beautiful at the moment with approx 1 acre wooded along the river, another half is the cottage garden and veg areas and the rest is laid to gardens

At present it looks as if we'll have an additional 1 acre paddock (that the sellers currently rent) to use for moving the 2 ponies in but I'm already looking at the rest to convert to paddocks as potentially we want to have a few sheep/goats there as well. Its a bit of a jump from going from DIY and handling a half acre paddock and I'm already trying to think ahead to what fencing, shelters, other tools we'll need. (If anyone knows any fencing/feed suppliers etc in West Wales that would be a big plus)

be positive

Visit site
I moved to Carms/ Pembs borders this summer and have found most of what I need fairly easily, it is a lovely area.

I get my feed/ fencing/ gates etc from CCF, they should have a branch near you, pay £10 to become a member and you get a discount on most things and they are fairly quick to deliver. I found someone to do my fencing, after being let down, he has also been a useful contact for other suppliers and he knows everyone in the area.
I would say wait a few months and see how the land drains before putting in too much fencing as it can make a huge difference if you site gates away from the wettest places, I am lucky I have a lot of hardstanding and the gateways were already set on hard areas, the field drains fairly well but I now know where it is wet and can work with it when putting in the rest of the fencing, plans have changed due to wetter areas.
Do make contact when you get here, if I can help I am happy to do so:)

paddi22

Visit site
that's a great point by be positive. I'd be tempted to do a full winter there and just see where water pools and what the clay is like. one bit of advice I wish I'd known moving to ours is what a nightmare goats are. unless you have them to do a particular job, they are SO much hassle and so destructive. we got two mini goats and they were the absolute bane of our lives. very cute, but we ended up rehoming them as we spent our entire existence trying to keep them behind layers of fencing and stop them causing literal destruction. I cannot stress enough how much of a pain goats are. I still am traumatised thinking of all the random madness they got up to. we laugh about it now, but at one stage they ate through the coolant pipe on my jeep and the engine over heated, they they destroyed my break cables and my brakes went while I was driving, they would randomly escape to neighbours and ate one neighbour's memorial rosebush she planted with her dead husbands ashes. they used to pull off any car license plates with their horns. one managed to jump off the roof of our house and break her leg. when in university vets hospital she escaped from them and got onto the university campus chased by all the staff, and a guy had to rugby tackle her to catch her, and HE broke his arm. they used to get their heads stuck in neighbours metal garden gates and we'd have to crowbar them out regularly. they used to eat the horses tails, they would eat rug straps. they head butted bricks out of walls. they destroyed our electricity metre by prising the door open and pulling out the wires. they would ram tiny children over and then bounce on them. don't get goats. there is a reason the devil is drawn as one.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Another who say you need to look at the land before you decide how to use it .
It sounds wonderful good luck with it all .

Shady

Visit site
there is a reason the devil is drawn as one.
:D:D:eek::eek:
OMG just so true!
My mum still has a photo of me as a nappy wearing toddler being spectacularly head butted by one. Apparently I flew an impressive distance seconds after it was taken!.

Agree with others , wait and see what the land does and where the sun is.

tatty_v

Visit site
That’s so exciting, congratulations! I would definitely second the advice to see out a full year of seasons if possible before putting in fixed fencing etc. We limped through with electric for the first year but I’m glad we did as I wouldn’t have sited my post and rail where we did without the benefit of waiting.

We have very “static” sheep (Oxford Downs) and they are great, but a bit big and woolly. I’d go for a smaller neater breed if it wasn’t OH’s decision!

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
I highly recommend Easy Care sheep. The breed was developed in Wales so well suited to the weather conditions. No fleece so no shearing, medium sized and if you get them young and spend some time with them very friendly.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I am rolling about laughing at Paddi22's account of smallholding life with goats.
Congratulations on your new purchase!

We have sheep as well as horses and they really do help to keep the land in good order. I would manage with electric fencing for the first year or at least over the first winter and see how the land will work best for you.

Not_so_brave_anymore

Visit site
that's a great point by be positive. I'd be tempted to do a full winter there and just see where water pools and what the clay is like. one bit of advice I wish I'd known moving to ours is what a nightmare goats are. unless you have them to do a particular job, they are SO much hassle and so destructive. we got two mini goats and they were the absolute bane of our lives. very cute, but we ended up rehoming them as we spent our entire existence trying to keep them behind layers of fencing and stop them causing literal destruction. I cannot stress enough how much of a pain goats are. I still am traumatised thinking of all the random madness they got up to. we laugh about it now, but at one stage they ate through the coolant pipe on my jeep and the engine over heated, they they destroyed my break cables and my brakes went while I was driving, they would randomly escape to neighbours and ate one neighbour's memorial rosebush she planted with her dead husbands ashes. they used to pull off any car license plates with their horns. one managed to jump off the roof of our house and break her leg. when in university vets hospital she escaped from them and got onto the university campus chased by all the staff, and a guy had to rugby tackle her to catch her, and HE broke his arm. they used to get their heads stuck in neighbours metal garden gates and we'd have to crowbar them out regularly. they used to eat the horses tails, they would eat rug straps. they head butted bricks out of walls. they destroyed our electricity metre by prising the door open and pulling out the wires. they would ram tiny children over and then bounce on them. don't get goats. there is a reason the devil is drawn as one.
But they're SOOO CUUUTEEEEE! ??

HeyMich

Visit site
there is a reason the devil is drawn as one.

A family friend inherited a resident goat when they bought a house. It caused no end of chaos. They re-homed it shortly afterwards to a local farmer, who promptly returned it. They ended up 're-homing' to the owner of a local curry house... It wasn't returned. Say no more.

paddi22

Visit site
when we got them fire we had chain link fencing, post and rail, plus wooden sheeting around there enclosure.. half an hour after they arrived we came out to this... one had climbed in and got stuck, and then the other decided it was a good idea to just climb in on top of it.. we had to take most of the fence down to get them out.

Attachments

• goat.png
    goat.png
    584.4 KB · Views: 125

Trouper

Visit site
Have you thought of writing a book Paddi22? I am crying with laughter at the summary so far!!!!!

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
:p:p:p I have to laugh at this ^^^! I love goats and would have them again, but you do need extreme containment facilities and a vibrant sense of humour to live happily with them.

twiggy2

Visit site
I highly recommend Easy Care sheep. The breed was developed in Wales so well suited to the weather conditions. No fleece so no shearing, medium sized and if you get them young and spend some time with them very friendly.
Easy care sheep do have or should have fleece they just shed it rather than needing shearing, then you get to go round picking up all the untidy bits, I would rather shear.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Easy care sheep do have or should have fleece they just shed it rather than needing shearing, then you get to go round picking up all the untidy bits, I would rather shear.
I was wondering what the point of them was (other than being, hopefully, delicious........)

Orangehorse

Visit site
Love to hear about the goats!

When you site your field shelter have a system where you can have a small pen with gates opening into different fields, this makes life so much easier as they can get into any paddock and then wander back to the shelter and you don't have to fetch them in! Think about how you are going to get hay and bedding to the shelter too.

Sounds really exciting and so close to the coast!

cremedemonthe

Was Caterham on the Hill, Surrey now Wales
Visit site
Welcome to Wales Lacuna.
LOL at Paddi22 yes goats can be like that.
I have recently leanrt to milk some Toggenburgs.
Feed is good and cheap from Only Pets and Horses in Horeb, they do a click and collect service now, other place for feed in garage at Saron, not as much (no hay or straw) as Horeb but still good.
I am sure there are other nearer to you but these ones are good if you get stuck.

I am in Tanglwst (not that far from you) bought a smallholding here about 5 years ago. Have learnt alot.
CCF in Newcaslte Emlyn is good for lots of things, other are dotted around but I tend to buy most of my fencing online and get it delivered. I bought a 37 lb metal post rammer with 2 handles and ram 6-8 foot 4 inch posts in round my field as needed. Keeps you fit!
I gave up trying to get local farmers to put posts in with a tractor as they were so busy. I do most of the repairs/building/fencing myself if I can, have learnt how to service oil fired Rayburns, install wood burners and flues, plumbing, basic electrics, build animal shelters from scrap and so on. I have sheep in my field at the moment, one of them was an unwanted pet lamb we called Gwen who use to take great delight in chasing my hens, ducks and pheasants round the field bouncing along behind them, she chased my dogs too, nothing was safe. She got in to the walled garden and ate her way through various plants (all safe to eat) and then saw the open lean to door and made a bee line for it, she only stopped from going right INTO my bungalow because she happened to find the sack of game bird food and started munching her way through that. Little sod.
I kept her in a pheasant house to start with as she was small enough, now she's large and fat she's out in the field with the others.
I have bought hand shears for shearing her next year, that will be an experience.
You will enjoy it here, quiet and laid back way of life, welcome,
Oz (Saddler)

Mari

Visit site
Ha ha I laughed so much at this.

silv

Visit site

Don't want to hi jack this thread, but that is the funniest post I have read for a while.

Good luck in your new place, it sounds lovely, like others said best to wait a while to get the "lay of the land' with drainage etc and practicalities before making any major changes.

paddy555

Visit site
If you want goats try one of the more useful breeds that will produce milk and kids for the freezer. We had toggenburgs, saanens but the prettiest and most compliant were golden guernseys. They were lovely and a lot less trouble than most goats. However unless you want milk and goat meat stick to sheep. Goats don't like the wet and I guess west Wales is going to be wet.

Your small holding sounds lovely. Good luck, enjoy it. Don't forget to have a good look at the trees if the horses are going near them. Sycamore for EAM and oak for acorns.