Moving to the countryside- tips needed!

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
Has anyone mentioned turning the hinges on any field gates so that they can't be lifted off even if padlocked?

Make sure your main entrance gate is lockable too... Nothing worse than finding some random stranger in your yard... I had one that was after my chickens, seemed to think he could help himself! After that we always lock up when we go out.

redapple

Visit site
This thread is making me very jealous of all you guys living the country life!

Not a direct tip but if you ar going to get a dog to catch/deter rats/mice try and make sure it actually cares! One of my old dogs was supposed to be a ratter on a farm but couldn't care less about chasing small furries - was quickly replaced and rehomed to us!

Also just remember another thing - I used to livery at a private livery yard who had their quadbike stolen. Was stored in a padlocked room/stable but wasnt much help when the fittings holding the padlock were just unscrewed and taken off the door.... Police recommended anti-theft screws.

Last edited:

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Has anyone mentioned turning the hinges on any field gates so that they can't be lifted off even if padlocked?

Make sure your main entrance gate is lockable too... Nothing worse than finding some random stranger in your yard... I had one that was after my chickens, seemed to think he could help himself! After that we always lock up when we go out.

As I recently found out it’s not just burglars that can lift a padlocked gate.... a Shetland with an itchy butt can also do that job, and let’s face it everyone who gets their own place ends up with a itchy bummed Shetland 😂

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Further to my previous contribution to this thread: another word of advice -

DO remember that in the country everyone is related to everyone else: certainly down here in the Westcountry that's true! Go out riding, come across a farmer chewing a straw over a gate and within 10 mins you'll find you're related! Happens to me all the time. This clan systaem is deffo worth bearing in mind if you do happen to utter an unguarded negative word about someone, thinking you can have your rant and it won't matter; be aware that the repercussions could be HUGE and long-standing - there's probably a family feud been happening for the last 200 years, but when someone from outside says something nasty about the clan you'll soon find out that you've made a grave mistake when you for e.g. go into the village shop and encounter at least six conversations all taking place in front of you and you're in a rush, or you try to get a farmer to roll & harrow for you coz you're desperate - and you've fallen out - albeit unawares, with one of their long-distant relatives.

Also be aware of (ahem, coughing delicately) the "hanky-panky" network. Again, you'll need skill and discretion to figure out exactly what's going on and with whom! It is easy to make assumptions, but you really do need to know what's what. If you're intending to hunt, VERY important to suss out what's going on and with whom as early in the season as you can!

Oh and if you miss the Hunt Ball or opening meet they're bound to assume that you're an Anti!! :)

Also bear in mind that the quickest way to get a message around in the countryside, is to find the village gossip (don't worry, there WILL be one around handy) and tell them whatever wisdom you wish to circulate, wording it thus: "hey, look, please keep this to yourself won't you coz I don't want it to get out but ................. ". This will then guarantee that you'll save a fortune on phone calls, e-mails, texts etc. Simples!

Last edited:

Notimetoride

Visit site
Sounds exciting but seriously, don't acquire loads of horses. Been there, done that. It's easy to do. Just stick with the bear minimum. Priorities for me taking on a property would be the roofs, soundlness of the buildings, gates and fences, electrics and plumbing. I'd get the chimney swept and inspected before winter too and stock up on oil.
It's going to take you 12 months to learn how your land deals with the weather so doing jump in there and start doing too much with the land till you know what's what with it. You'll need reliable contacts for field management, hedge cutting etc, along with muck heap removal. I'm sure your new venture will be fabulous, but just be mindful that at times it is donkey work keeping it all up together. A good support network is key.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
Find a place to put the things that you think you should throw away, because it might well come in useful :) A good example of this is the dead temporary green house that had succumbed to the wind, I had kept the metal bits and the plastic bits that connected them, they made a very handy "portcullis" (with some new wire and a few cable ties) when we had the yard surfaced and the gate had to be raised to accommodate the new slope, to stop the Rotters crawling under the gate and running away :D It is amazing what can have a second life on a smallholding :D :D :D

Landcruiser

Visit site
Others have said but I will reiterate - EVERYTHING COSTS MORE THAN YOU THINK!!!

You haven't mentioned the house much. Ours was also "in need of attention." I didn't really notice or think about the house much when we viewed. All I could see was 3 acres, stables and outbuildings, fabulous surrounding countryside and no neighbours. My husband (non horsey) saw The House and its Potential (although he also liked the countryside etc). My kids saw a filthy hovel with slow internet, no mates, mud, boring countryside, no shops or buses...
4 years ago we moved in, with 2 dogs, 2 horses, and an assortment of chickens (soon to become a decent flock of about 30)
The first year we "did" the house - gutted/added to/remodelled, all while living in it.
The second year we re roofed the main stable block, and put in a load of raised beds. We also started laying a track over our wettest field to reach a dryer one.
The 3rd year we put up a huge poly tunnel. We did some fencing.
This year we've slowed down a bit. New oil tank, some water pipes, bit more fencing - and all of the above while we are both working, and have kids at school, and all the day to day stuff ongoing. House looks ready to redecorate already in places!
Honestly, it's never ending, and sometimes I feel like throwing the towel in, but mostly I love it and can't imagine a how "townies" fill their time!

kimberleigh

Visit site
Love this thread!!

We are taking on a "cottage" on 4acres - 2 outbuildings attached to cottage and 3 stables which will be replaced (eventually).

Land has had zero maintenance, hedging is massively overgrown and drainage ditches are mere dents they're that full! Fencing is awful - falling down/sagging/broken sheep netting and barbed wire.

Cottage is 3 rooms, all tiny - it will need the floor space doubling to make it livable. New windows/new roof/new heating etc etc etc. Basically IMO its a candidate for knocking down and starting again but OH doesnt want to do that.

I have grand designs for a 30x40' barn with internal stabling (only have 2 horses atm), wash box, tackroom and storage. Plus an outdoor school hehe.

We will be putting a static on site to actually live in for time being, because no way do we have the money to do everything at once so will do it as/when...which will be fun with winter approaching, my little boy isnt 2 til mid Jan and have baby number 2 due beginning of Jan 🙈

Did anyone mention it helps to be absolutely crazy to want to do all this?!

meggymoo

Visit site
Further to my previous contribution to this thread: another word of advice -

DO remember that in the country everyone is related to everyone else: certainly down here in the Westcountry that's true! Go out riding, come across a farmer chewing a straw over a gate and within 10 mins you'll find you're related! Happens to me all the time. This clan systaem is deffo worth bearing in mind if you do happen to utter an unguarded negative word about someone, thinking you can have your rant and it won't matter; be aware that the repercussions could be HUGE and long-standing - there's probably a family feud been happening for the last 200 years, but when someone from outside says something nasty about the clan you'll soon find out that you've made a grave mistake when you for e.g. go into the village shop and encounter at least six conversations all taking place in front of you and you're in a rush, or you try to get a farmer to roll & harrow for you coz you're desperate - and you've fallen out - albeit unawares, with one of their long-distant relatives.

Also be aware of (ahem, coughing delicately) the "hanky-panky" network. Again, you'll need skill and discretion to figure out exactly what's going on and with whom! It is easy to make assumptions, but you really do need to know what's what. If you're intending to hunt, VERY important to suss out what's going on and with whom as early in the season as you can!

Oh and if you miss the Hunt Ball or opening meet they're bound to assume that you're an Anti!! :)

Also bear in mind that the quickest way to get a message around in the countryside, is to find the village gossip (don't worry, there WILL be one around handy) and tell them whatever wisdom you wish to circulate, wording it thus: "hey, look, please keep this to yourself won't you coz I don't want it to get out but ................. ". This will then guarantee that you'll save a fortune on phone calls, e-mails, texts etc. Simples!

With a move to North Devon looming large, I wish I hadn't read this thread. I am now terrified!!!

windand rain

Visit site
Unless you plan on filling it dont make the house too big and maintenance heavy. Live with anything livable for at least a year. The garden needs at least one season and a lot of markers so you know what you have where, so cut the lawn and weed the obvious weeds from the border and leave the rest until you know what is where. After the spring you can chop just about anything back you want to. as it will mostly recover as said before you might lose that years flower but at least you will know whats what. Horsse area just needs to be secure and safe. I will agree with the dont get too many animals to start with. The ratting cat still needs to be fed and have access to water at all times. Assume you have vermin and organise how you will deal with it especially at this time of year as they will move in for the winter

southerncomfort

Visit site
Others have said but I will reiterate - EVERYTHING COSTS MORE THAN YOU THINK!!!

You haven't mentioned the house much. Ours was also "in need of attention." I didn't really notice or think about the house much when we viewed. All I could see was 3 acres, stables and outbuildings, fabulous surrounding countryside and no neighbours. My husband (non horsey) saw The House and its Potential (although he also liked the countryside etc). My kids saw a filthy hovel with slow internet, no mates, mud, boring countryside, no shops or buses...
4 years ago we moved in, with 2 dogs, 2 horses, and an assortment of chickens (soon to become a decent flock of about 30)
The first year we "did" the house - gutted/added to/remodelled, all while living in it.
The second year we re roofed the main stable block, and put in a load of raised beds. We also started laying a track over our wettest field to reach a dryer one.
The 3rd year we put up a huge poly tunnel. We did some fencing.
This year we've slowed down a bit. New oil tank, some water pipes, bit more fencing - and all of the above while we are both working, and have kids at school, and all the day to day stuff ongoing. House looks ready to redecorate already in places!
Honestly, it's never ending, and sometimes I feel like throwing the towel in, but mostly I love it and can't imagine a how "townies" fill their time!

This is true re: the house. And also, I will admit that I found it difficult moving from a house that was 40 years old to one that is over 200 years old. I still can't quite get used to the 'old house' smell but I know it will lessen as we renovate the older part of the house.

Also, if you have kids....the younger ones will think it's all a fantastic adventure, will spend more time outdoors and generally be happier and healthier. The older ones will think you've taken leave of your senses and will curse you for ruining their lives making them move to the back end of nowhere! LOL!

Finlib

Visit site
Sort out fencing and gateways first you do have to live with it for at least a year to discover wetter bits drier bits and it's exposed areas. Do not over stock this will cause most of the problems people have with weeds lack of grass and pushed fences.
Ask around and find someone who can house/animal sit so you can get away if not on holiday then to the usual events weddings funerals christening family gatherings.
It is nice to know there is someone you can call to step in.
Most of all enjoy and make decisions carefully it's difficult and expensive and sometimes impossible to move gateways and buildings when you find it would work better a different layout

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
With a move to North Devon looming large, I wish I hadn't read this thread. I am now terrified!!!

Envy you, coz North Devon is fab!!

You'll need to speak the local lingo.......... each area of Devon has its own "lingo". My father was raised in South Devon, and his mother (my g/mother) did "Devonshire Dialect" readings. My uncle was from where I am now, and even as a child I could tell the marked difference in their pronunciation of different things!! Amazing in such a relatively small area, but its true.

Ohhh.... and the other thing is that if in Devon, the CORRECT way to serve/eat scones is CREAM FIRST then jam on top! Any other way is heresy :) (Oh my golly have started something now..... !!!! ). A war will be fought about this one day I reckon!

tda

Visit site
Don't forget your sense of humour.......😂😂😂😂😂😂 especially if you are renovating 😁😀😂😂😂😂

MagicMelon

Visit site
Have you signed on the dotted line yet? is there time to change your mind? No? Oh well, welcome to the life you've always wanted and welcome to the life of never ending DIY, never ending weeding, grass cutting, post and rail fixing, poo picking, painting, creocoting ....

I dont think anything really prepares you (other than being born to it) for living in the country with land and just how much work it is and how bleak the winters can be! Stock up on fire wood now, get a full tank of oil before the end of the month .. assuming you have a wood burner and oil tank ... if you dont then Pah! you are still in a town! ;) (just teasing)

I always thought I would fill up on animals when we moved but I quickly realised that less is more. Don't rush into getting animals, once people know you have land you will get offered all the waifs and strays .. try to resist, they all cost money and time and you wont have that with everything else you have to do around the place so although my reply is a bit tongue in cheek that bit of advise you will be wise to take.

Oh good luck btw ;)

Ha ha, spot on! I spend my life in a permanent loop of DIY jobs in/around the house and stables, painting (then by the time you've finally finished, you have to start all over again), worrying about the fencing, cutting the mass of grass that is my stupidly large garden, spending hours picking fruit or veg from the veg plot and then planning what the **** to do with it all, getting snowed in during the winter (only 4x4's could use our road for a whole week in February), running out of water after this stupidly hot summer so our well has been dry for 3 weeks so far and we have no idea how long it'll take to refill...

Same with the animal thing - as a teenager I dreamt of living in my own house with land so I could have as many animals as I wanted. Yeah right, that doesnt happen. You realise how bloody expensive they all are and how much of a pain in the bum it is if you want to go on holiday once in a while.

Ive never lived in a town, I lived in a village once for a year - that was the only time Ive ever had mains water, electric heating (dont get gas round here) and council sewage system etc.! You may miss those things... But at the end of the day, on a beautiful sunny day when Im out on a hack in the silence riding along a track watching deer and rabbits jump about its the nicest place to be (and yes this was only 2 days ago).

southerncomfort

Visit site
And just to illustrate the kind of thing you'll have to deal with:

We had our oil tank filled up on Monday. Now our boiler has packed up because water has got in to the tank somewhere. :( Had the engineers here for 2 days trying to sort it out.

blitznbobs

Visit site
And just to illustrate the kind of thing you'll have to deal with:

We had our oil tank filled up on Monday. Now our boiler has packed up because water has got in to the tank somewhere. :( Had the engineers here for 2 days trying to sort it out.

That. Or electricity going down on Christmas Day... with the turkey half cooked

hollyandivy123

Visit site
or looking up to see who had come in through the front gate to find yet another cow had come up the 20 steps from the road into the garden as short cut to the maternity field from when they had just weaned away for their calf's or the time the younger brother had forgotten to put up the cow rope to stop the milkers coming in......................didn't have to feed the lawn that year!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
or looking up to see who had come in through the front gate to find yet another cow had come up the 20 steps from the road into the garden as short cut to the maternity field from when they had just weaned away for their calf's or the time the younger brother had forgotten to put up the cow rope to stop the milkers coming in......................didn't have to feed the lawn that year!

Ha Ha, we had a huuuge pear tree, as tall as the house. A couple of cows broke in and gorged themselves, becoming drunk on the fermenting fruit.

They must have liked it, as they were walked past 4 times a day for milking, and made a beeline for the weak spot in the hedge until we post and railed it ;)

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Or next door's tups getting in with our pet ewes, resulting in 3 'unwanted' lambs, who are now over a year old and still here. The store calves have just had to be sent back home too.

Shoei

Visit site
My tip is very simple - enjoy it! Have fun. It is so much better. You may work harder, and there is a lot to learn, but it is great.

Some people have commented on septic tanks. The environmental rules are changing and biodiscs or other approved treatment methods can be required these days.

I use Muck Munchers!!!! Helps with ours and the name makes me smile!!!

Shoei

Visit site
Envy you, coz North Devon is fab!!

You'll need to speak the local lingo.......... each area of Devon has its own "lingo". My father was raised in South Devon, and his mother (my g/mother) did "Devonshire Dialect" readings. My uncle was from where I am now, and even as a child I could tell the marked difference in their pronunciation of different things!! Amazing in such a relatively small area, but its true.

Ohhh.... and the other thing is that if in Devon, the CORRECT way to serve/eat scones is CREAM FIRST then jam on top! Any other way is heresy :) (Oh my golly have started something now..... !!!! ). A war will be fought about this one day I reckon!

Ha... there we be two wars one about the cream/ jam.... one about what it is called!!!

Shoei

Visit site
My tip is... never expect your house to be clean... and buy endurance paint!

We have hard floors downstairs and white walls (crazy I know, but in a dark cottage you need the light).

Boots are supposed to come off in the boot room but inevitably don't, dog is supposed to wipe her feet on the expensive, mud sucking rug, but it inevitably doesn't work. Cat doesn't give a hoot and pads around with wet muddy paws.

Walls at least can be scrubbed, I hoover most days and have a cleaner once a week! It's still not clean!

Cherryblossom

Visit site
So no stories about how I’ll effortlessly become a barefoot hippy, growing my own veg and producing honey, while designing and creating a grand designs house on a changing rooms budget.... oh, and all while working a 50hr week and having a small reliant human?? Hmmmm.....