Moving to the UK (Lakenheath) from the US (with my horse?)

maisie06

Visit site
I used to work in Swindon and had an American friend - if we went out to lunch I made her drive round the Magic Roundabout just for the amusement value, it was frequently a near death experience. Despite living n the UK for many years she had never really mastered changing gear, roundabouts, parallel parking or driving on the "wrong side of the road". I think she kept a body shop in business single handedly.

LOL!!! That's mental cruelty at it's best!!!!

Caol Ila

Visit site
We do have parallel parking in the US. Really. That's where I learned to parallel park an F-250. Sometimes with a horse trailer. In New York City.

However, I can't drive a manual gearbox. I've accepted this and just buy automatics. It can be done, and it gets easier and easier as autos become more common here. At this point, I cannot be a*rsed taking another driving test of death to just get a manual license, and I'm too old and grumpy to learn how to drive one well enough to pass a test I failed four times in an auto.

Visit site
We do have parallel parking in the US. Really. That's where I learned to parallel park an F-250. Sometimes with a horse trailer. In New York City.

However, I can't drive a manual gearbox. I've accepted this and just buy automatics. It can be done, and it gets easier and easier as autos become more common here. At this point, I cannot be a*rsed taking another driving test of death to just get a manual license, and I'm too old and grumpy to learn how to drive one well enough to pass a test I failed four times in an auto.

It won't be long before manual cars are a thing of the past anyway as all electric cars are Auto so I wouldn't worry yourself about it

SibeliusMB

Visit site
Love the car, I've got a clubman and love it, If you put the back seats down you can fit a surprising amount in the back, just nothing to high ?
The more I drive it, the more I love it! ? Been driving around all weekend looking for things to do, but also finding excuses to take the long way around or go driving for no reason. I'm interested to see how much stuff I can cram into it for my own amusement. ?

I've really enjoyed catching up on this thread OP. Glad you are settling in well and I hope Sig's journey goes well. Do update us once he's here!
Thank you! ? Looking forward to showing you all his first steps on UK soil and how we adapt to our new home!

PurBee

Visit site
As a committed smoker, I'll never forget, whilst visiting the US some years back, asking somebody for a spare fag (english slang for cigarette) and phrasing it 'Can I bum a fag off you please?' (bum - in this context meaning 'have'). Oh how we laughed!

Terminology differences are hilarious.
While in the US my friend is driving and another driver seriously cut infront dangerously, so back then, i instantly said ‘what a w*nker!”
My friend says “w*nker? What’s that?”
i said “ oh its a person who does something stupid causing problems for others…t*sspot and kn*bhead are similar phrases”

Well….we drive on and another wreckless driver is witnessed and my friend yells “wan-keeeeerrrrr”
God…tears were streaming from laughing so hard!
Then the term became used for anyone they didnt like what they were doing….so i then went into a more detailed explanation what a w*anker is, with hand-sign assistance ?
My friend’s response was “? ive been calling everyone a m*asturb*tor all day?!

????

Last edited: