Moving up a level BE - advice please

ArcticFox

www.bryland.co.uk
Hi all

Just wondered what you thought.

Last year I evented my horse in 3 BE100's which were sporadic through the season due to the weather, the season before we also completed 2 BE100's and in all of them we have gone a confident clear XC and only one down SJ (damn coloured poles!). Dressage is rubbish and we have gathered time faults on the xc run but I'm pretty happy with how we went. Had the season been better last year I had hoped we would move to Novice.

So this year...

I'm planning on getting him fitter, I believe the fitness thing is the reason we don't make the time as I'm too paranoid to push him too much. I have a really good plan for that now which we have been working on already.

I'm entered for Eden Valley BE90 this coming Saturday, then Kirrimuir BE90 the following week and the riding club horse trials (BE100 level) the week after. I entered 3 in a row after a discussion with my instructor and we decided that he would be fine to do them.

Following the riding club teams, we have nothing on the following weekend but will be going away for two days camp the monday/tuesday.

The camp is then followed by Burgham on the sunday. this will only be a fortnight after his 3 weeks of runs.

Sorry its taken so long to get to the question, but as my aim is the run at Novice this season, do you think I should enter him for Burgham Novice on the Sunday (there is an BE100 open on that day so perhaps I could move classes nearer the time if available and plans have gone awry?)

Following Burgham its two weeks then Floors Castle - an event I love but I don't really want that to be my first Novice so will be doing the BE100 there - if I have run at Burgham it will be a sweetner for him.

He then has around 3-4 weeks of no events after this.

What are your thoughts?

Can't offer anything except tea, and if anyone can send any vibes to our sheep to get them to start lambing I'd be very grateful. Two days of waiting is driving me nuts!!!

SW3

Visit site
Perhaps I'm over cautious but I'd probably do a few more 100s than just one before upgrading. Just wondering, but why have you chosen to do two 90s at the start of the season? Wouldnt you be better to start off at 100 if you are established at that level and aiming at novice?

smurf

Visit site
I would start season BE100. Then I would go out and jump at least three newcomers - on grass. Go to Hendersyde XC training in May with Les and jump round the Nov XC. Then go to Floors not to compete but to do the training day with the BE trainer on the Monday. If you jump round all the Nov XC without a major issue I would look at Hendersyde as first Nov run.

ArcticFox

www.bryland.co.uk
Perhaps I'm over cautious but I'd probably do a few more 100s than just one before upgrading. Just wondering, but why have you chosen to do two 90s at the start of the season? Wouldnt you be better to start off at 100 if you are established at that level and aiming at novice?

Ditto above.

To test his fitness - my fitness plan should be fine, but I wanted it to be easy - which it should be at 90. And there is no need to start at 100 when you don't have to. I'd rather it was too easy than very sticky for his first two runs. Originally I put my name down for the Open RC team which is 100+ but no other members wanted to do it!!

I would start season BE100. Then I would go out and jump at least three newcomers - on grass. Go to Hendersyde XC training in May with Les and jump round the Nov XC. Then go to Floors not to compete but to do the training day with the BE trainer on the Monday. If you jump round all the Nov XC without a major issue I would look at Hendersyde as first Nov run.

The SJ height doesn't worry him or me - although need to do grass jumping which is something I'm trying to plan. For the last year or two we have been schooling xc over novice fences. Its just my paranoia with his fitness that means I haven't cracked on and done it. I also walked the novice courses at Scone, Hutton and Hendersyde and nothing worried me.

Just thought about it as I know friends have done a Novice after a few days away at a camp and found it really set them up for it.

Also I can't take Mondays off work as not many holidays left but I'll probably do the 100 at burgham then floors then move up.

thanks - advice gratefully received.

gunnergundog

Visit site
Just wondering how far off the time you are on the XC at 100? If just getting the odd couple of faults then crack on; if consistently more than 5, say, then I would want to focus on: walking my lines between fences more directly and accurately; riding away positively from my fence immediately on landing; being confident to tackle some straightforward fences on an angle.

Also, if getting a lot of time faults, consider your approach and how you set your horse up prior to a fence.....are you losing balance/hooking/fighting etc etc?

Regardless of breeding almost any horse should be able to get the time at 100 on the straightforward, flatter courses given reasonable fitness and 'tight' course riding eg Solihull. Something like Purston Manor (max distance and a couple of hills) would mean that a cobby horse would struggle more and require greater fitness prep/tighter riding.

Nosey

Visit site
Also one who may be on cautious side but I'd want to be getting good placings at 100 before attempting Nov...ie be sure I cld always take the shorter routes etc.I wld esp want to eliminate time pens at 100 given the extra speed required for Novice.

Thistle

Visit site
I wouldn't consider moving up to Nov until you are comfortably within the time XC at 100. SJ time at Nov is quicker too. Maybe do some 100+ as a stepping stone.

Jnhuk

Visit site
I know AF and her hoss so I am going to add that they are both more than well capable of jumping a Novice track now and also a well respected eventer/trainer told her this time last year, that they should be out doing Novice. It is just that the 2012 season was pants plus AF had a bad fall recently at home (impressive bruises) when she decided to do gymnastics with the arena fencing so I think it very sensible to start with a BE90 as she still is recovering from that. I don't think her starting the season at BE90 is that they are not established at BE100 - it more due to the almost constant snow we have had up here and lack of fast work which we are hopefully sorting.

I understand some of you are being cautious with your advice and the making the time round the XC won't be an issue when he is fit.

Also I am going to add, we don't have any BE100plus near us. The nearest one is Sept so that is useless! We don't have the same number of events to pick and choose round here as those in the south

Last edited:

tricksibell85

Visit site
Its fine starting at a BE90 for a confidence boosting run, but i would of been doing the BE100 at Kirriemuir - can you move? Its not a tough track, and means you would be getting that extra BE100 run in there earlier.

I would be scraping Burgham and doing the Novice at Richmond tbh - its a good 1st time track. Showjumping is on a surface and there isnt anything overly big or complex on the XC.

Just a thought!!

AnShanDan

Visit site
Prob agree with tricksibell that I'd go for Richmond rather than Burgham Novice first, do the 100 at Burgham, the novice there last summer was not dead easy. I wouldn't say Floors Novice is hard really either, normally.

ArcticFox

www.bryland.co.uk
Just wondering how far off the time you are on the XC at 100? If just getting the odd couple of faults then crack on; if consistently more than 5, say, then I would want to focus on: walking my lines between fences more directly and accurately; riding away positively from my fence immediately on landing; being confident to tackle some straightforward fences on an angle.

Also, if getting a lot of time faults, consider your approach and how you set your horse up prior to a fence.....are you losing balance/hooking/fighting etc etc?

Regardless of breeding almost any horse should be able to get the time at 100 on the straightforward, flatter courses given reasonable fitness and 'tight' course riding eg Solihull. Something like Purston Manor (max distance and a couple of hills) would mean that a cobby horse would struggle more and require greater fitness prep/tighter riding.

Thanks - its about 6-8 tp usually, think I worked out its 1 second per fence that we loose. There aren't any flat BE courses in Scotland;):D I'm pretty sure we should make the time once fit.

Also one who may be on cautious side but I'd want to be getting good placings at 100 before attempting Nov...ie be sure I cld always take the shorter routes etc.I wld esp want to eliminate time pens at 100 given the extra speed required for Novice.

Hoping with the fitness he should make the time. I know that Novice is faster though.

I wouldn't consider moving up to Nov until you are comfortably within the time XC at 100. SJ time at Nov is quicker too. Maybe do some 100+ as a stepping stone.

Happy with the SJ time, its the same as most BS classes so not a problem. XC time is the one I am working on.

I know AF and her hoss so I am going to add that they are both more than well capable of jumping a Novice track now and also a well respected eventer/trainer told her this time last year, that they should be out doing Novice. It is just that the 2012 season was pants plus AF had a bad fall recently at home (impressive bruises) when she decided to do gymnastics with the arena fencing so I think it very sensible to start with a BE90 as she still is recovering from that. I don't think her starting the season at BE90 is that they are not established at BE100 - it more due to the almost constant snow we have had up here and lack of fast work which we are hopefully sorting.

I understand some of you are being cautious with your advice and the making the time round the XC won't be an issue when he is fit.

Also I am going to add, we don't have any BE100plus near us. The nearest one is Sept so that is useless! We don't have the same number of events to pick and choose round here as those in the south

Thanks JNHUK :) shame there aren't any 100+ in Scotland!

Its fine starting at a BE90 for a confidence boosting run, but i would of been doing the BE100 at Kirriemuir - can you move? Its not a tough track, and means you would be getting that extra BE100 run in there earlier.

I would be scraping Burgham and doing the Novice at Richmond tbh - its a good 1st time track. Showjumping is on a surface and there isnt anything overly big or complex on the XC.

Just a thought!!

Thanks TB, will ask if we can move to 100 at Kirrie, good idea. my Kirri entry was a last minute thing as I hadn't planned to go so just entered the 90. I can't do Richmond as I'm helping to organise a demo at SNEC that day. And also examining an OSCE exam on the Friday at work so chance for the time off.

Last edited:

tricksibell85

Visit site
Oh thats a shame about Richmond! It would of been perfect!

If he is bold XC then i dont think you would have any problems at Floors! It isnt technical, just bigger and more of a kick on course! :)

TheoryX1

Visit site
The only advice I can give is that when the level you are competing at no longer seems a challenge to both you and your horse is to move up a level then. Agree BE100 plus is a great half way house.

TableDancer

Visit site
Listening to your own account ,plus what people who know you say (jhnuk and your trainer), I think the idea of upgrading to the 100 at Kirriemuir then going with your "Plan A" is by no means ridiculous. A camp probably will set you up really well for your first Novice. I am not someone who believes you have to be consistently placed at one level before moving up (if that were the case the vast majority of riders would never progress!) nor do I believe 6-8 TF is a major issue, particularly if you weren't consciously trying for the time.

On the assumption that you are not stepping up expecting to be competitive straightaway, I don't see a problem based on what you have told us. However, I also agree with those who say that by far the best placed person to make the decision in the end is you yourself: if your gut feel is that if you go with that plan and everything goes smoothly you will be ready, then you will; if there is a little voice inside you saying you don't think it is time yet, then it probably isn't...

langside

Visit site
I've seen you and definitely don't think your plans sound out of reach although personally I wouldn't move up at Bugham as I wouldn't rate it as the easiest both in terrain terms/ height/ technicality
I did two videos which should be on eventing course pics but can't find them so here's the YouTube links:
Novice http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VW8LLNigMIg
BE100 http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4P0g4RkZEkA
Hope they help & might see you at Eden on sat :)

ArcticFox

www.bryland.co.uk
Gosh the corner and table look big - gulp!!
Have asked to move for kirri, will run at Eden this weekend and hopefully will decide after that.

Thanks all. Been really helpful. I know I'm the one who needs to make a decision and I'm pretty sure going novice is a good idea but wanted to make sure I wouldn't be asking too much. 4 events in 5 weekends plus a two day camp.

Fiona

Visit site
I don't feel that 6-8 time penalties should be a barrier to moving up a level, and as you said you would have been happy to move up to Novice in 2012 if circumstances had allowed....

Best of luck :)

Fiona

Luci07

Visit site
Completely thinking outside the box, but could you get to some gallops and work on increasing the pace there? So you a, get a feel for the actual speed you need and b, have the confidence to know you can do it And c, know your horse is easily fit enough to go on at the speed.

Horsemad12

Visit site
Personally I would want at least a couple of good BE100 runs at the start of the season before stepping up for the first time.

It takes me a couple of runs to get my eye in and it will also help with fitness.

RCP Equestrian

Visit site
I think after those runs at the start of the year he will be more than ready for Burgham in (June/July is it??) like someone has mentioned time faults and poles aren't something standing in your way, if it was stops etc then it would be a different story. No harm in moving him up, they have to some day and I say don't let them get too comfy at the "nice" levels! :D

Good Luck! Wish I was back on home turf for Burgham :( love that show x