Moving up to Novice

smja

Visit site
Hi all,

I'm looking to step up to BE Novice this season, and am after some suggestions - where would be a good first run?

Neither horse nor I have competed at Nov before, but we're confident at 100. My weakest phase is the sj, so would prefer one that's not too fear-inducing to start with!

My instructors have said that we won't have any issues with moving up, and I'll be asking for their advice too, but I'd love to hear from people who've been in my shoes more recently :D

Was planning to start off with 100s at Stafford and Llanymynech at least - we're based in Cheshire.

Many thanks :)

Last edited:

almostthere

Visit site
Sorry - don't know any events up that way but in case you don't get any more helpful responses ;) you might want to try the #twittereventing group on FB. Members all over the country and usually very forthcoming with responses....

TGM

Visit site
Agree with the advice above - the #twittereventing Facebook group is much more active than the C&T forum these days and you are likely to get more answers there!

blackhor2e

Visit site
I've applied to join the group - thanks for the info! :)

Hi, I'm based in Cheshire. At intermediate level now but I think you'll find an early straight forward novice is Oasby. Chatsworth is also very straight forward if your horse can cope with the atmosphere, I would probably avoid bradwall and Chomondley castle as they are at the upper end in my opinion. If you have any in mind, just ask as have done most of them.

jess_asterix

Visit site
Lllanymynech is a fab first novice is you are ready in time. Purston Manor, Somerford, Kelsall not too bad just want to ride confidently. Bold Heath is nice too.
Avoid Cholmondeley.

ajn1610

Visit site
I did my first at Richmond, bit further away and I've not been for a while but SJ was on a surface and not too imposing and XC was lovely.

smja

Visit site
Thank you everyone for the replies - apologies for the delayed response.

I think (fingers crossed and all that) that we'll be heading to Richmond after a few good runs at 100. Llanymynech is too soon, and horse would be fine at Chatsworth but I wouldn't!

blackhor2e

Visit site
I think Richmond is a really good choice there is quite a distance between the lorry park and the sj course but that's about my only gripe about the place. It's a great xc place to start with, good luck.

pottypony1

Visit site
I'm in the exact same position. Our plan for this year is to head down to Eden Valley and do the BE100plus to start the season, and then move up to Novice thereafter. BE100plus has Novice dressage, between novice/100 showjumping, and then 100 xcountry, so makes an ideal in between step! :)