Moving yard decision!

luie123

Visit site
Hi, I wonder if you could help me! I went to look round a new yard that was lovely, I wasnt really planning on moving but wondered what you thought!
Current yard, on the plus side, very friendly help if I need it reasonable facilities, its diy but £10 for a day on livery annd £15 at weekends. Negative, hacking is ot great, grazing and fencing is not great, lovely school and horsewalker. 7 miles away so thats 28 miles a day if I go twice

Other yard DIY £10 extra a week but includes 7 day a week turn out. Muck out £5. Everyone has their own post and rail pddock to look after and do with what you like. but quite small. 1 mile from home. Good hacking, school is in the process of being built as yard is new. People seem friendly but obiously dont know them

Any ideas

jumpthemoon

Visit site
It depends what you want from your horse really. If you do a lot of competing and don't hack much, usually look after the horse yourself and don't very often require extra services, then I'd stay where you are. If you mainly hack and don't use the school much, then I'd move! There is also the fuel costs to consider - it sounds like you would get your money back for the extra £10 a week in fuel. Maybe go and have another look - try and get a feel for what the other liveries are like before you make a decision
smile.gif

luie123

Visit site
I hack and school, and def would need the school to be done by winter. I think I need to go back with OH. The things which are temping me are post and rail fencing, no more untangling and repairing electric, and being so close.
Also I dont want to upset/fall out with the yard where I am!

zoegolding

Visit site
I'd move - the extra money towards the livery would be paid for by using less fuel every day. As long as the school is going to decent there should be no question - turn out is def a beig swaying factor as well as more decent hacking
smile.gif

Geraldine

Visit site
We moved yards last year and I wasn't looking to move. We went to visit a pony that had moved a few weeks previously (owner is blonde, 18 at the time and Tom idolises her).

Anyway, there was a spare stable - just the right size, turnout was better, there were horses there that Bob knew and it is literally 5 mins from our house. I didn't even know it was there!!! Best thing I ever did.

For some bizarre reason I was very nervous about telling YO we were going. So, being the cowardly chicken that I am, I gave him & his wife some very nice wine, thanked them profusely for having us and just said the travelling was getting a bit much in the dark winter.

reddie

Visit site
Second one sounds great and so much nearer which is important in these days of fuel rises!!