Moving yards.....again.....sorry!

Clare85

Visit site
Hmmm. Maybe it's a mix up between rent and services costs. And rent is £25. I though £40 per week cheap for assisted DIY with the facilities and set up you described, for Surrey.

I'm not sure it is a mix up - I asked if they offered DIY only, with no additional services, and they said they only offer assisted DIY. Not sure why they would advertise at any other cost and doesn't seem it could be a likely typo - £40 vs £25. I have to say, I thought £40 was reasonable, and £25 would obviously be dirt cheap for assisted DIY. I would happily pay that for DIY only. Just makes me feel a bit sus when different costs start appearing.

I will be calling to ask about it.

Clare85

Visit site
I would stay put your yard sounds lovely. You have transport and that's a lot of school hires and diesel to get your youngster out and about for the difference you would pay in price.

Thank you, we do love it at current place - it's so peaceful, just hard going at this time of year. I hadn't thought about it like that, thank you :)

Clare85

Visit site
Think I would stay put tbh. I backed my youngster on a yard with a school but never really used it! We longlined down the lanes, lunged about twice and first sat on her on the concrete yard (probably need my head testing lol). She was a poppet. I'd save the extra money for saddles/fitting and another horse so you can hack out together. If you have a trailer, towing car and driver you can box up to better hacking easily.

ETA Meant to say bringing in by 3pm would do my head in!

Thank you. The problem with boxing up regularly is that the trailer isn't where Esme is so it's quite a lot of hassle to get it, load her up, take her, bring her back and then faff around taking the trailer back. I need to try and find somewhere closer to keep it I think.

The 3pm thing is definitely not ideal and I think it might be that making me back off the new yard more than anything else. Thinking about it, I think it's probably to try and get liveries to pay extra to have their horse brought in as well as turned out. There's not many working people who could do 8am turnout and 3pm bring in.

DD

Visit site
I wouldnt move. Where you are now sounds great and its very cheap. Can you arrange to meet people at a half way sort of point to go hacking with? Maybe theres a club or something locally where you can meet up with people and make friends then invite them out to hack. or place an advert in the local tack shop.

bouncing_ball

Visit site
Is where you are now well draining and ok access for winter? I think you said you haven't wintered there yet. Is the land going to stay fairly dry and pleasant and the access ok?

bouncing_ball

Visit site
Thank you. The problem with boxing up regularly is that the trailer isn't where Esme is so it's quite a lot of hassle to get it, load her up, take her, bring her back and then faff around taking the trailer back. I need to try and find somewhere closer to keep it I think.

The 3pm thing is definitely not ideal and I think it might be that making me back off the new yard more than anything else. Thinking about it, I think it's probably to try and get liveries to pay extra to have their horse brought in as well as turned out. There's not many working people who could do 8am turnout and 3pm bring in.
Or if the yard manage limited clay land, the early bring in in winter could be to preserve the grazing and make sure there is turnout all winter? Is the yard on sand or low lying clay?*

Most of the winter fighting / bickering / gate walking and mud creating seems to happen 4-6pm when stabled at night horses are hungry and impatient to come in. When gateways are mud pits this is pretty grim.

I've had horses living out that are fine. But if out day time only on clay, I'd prefer mine in by dark.

8-3pm turnout all winter doesn't sound bad to me if is clay. Ideally I'd have unlimited turnout on sand, but that aside!*

Does yard allow 24-7 turnout in summer?

Clare85

Visit site
I wouldnt move. Where you are now sounds great and its very cheap. Can you arrange to meet people at a half way sort of point to go hacking with? Maybe theres a club or something locally where you can meet up with people and make friends then invite them out to hack. or place an advert in the local tack shop.

This is certainly an option. I'm thinking we might get another horse and ride out together. There is a local riding club we can join also but there aren't really many other yards near enough to us to hack with unless we box her up - although once she gets fitter it wouldn't be too much of an issue.

Clare85

Visit site
Is where you are now well draining and ok access for winter? I think you said you haven't wintered there yet. Is the land going to stay fairly dry and pleasant and the access ok?

It's heavy clay, drainage is not too bad and the land is extremely well managed. There are 3 fields so the horses will be moved soon to the best draining one and the others will be rested over winter.

Or if the yard manage limited clay land, the early bring in in winter could be to preserve the grazing and make sure there is turnout all winter? Is the yard on sand or low lying clay?*

Most of the winter fighting / bickering / gate walking and mud creating seems to happen 4-6pm when stabled at night horses are hungry and impatient to come in. When gateways are mud pits this is pretty grim.

I've had horses living out that are fine. But if out day time only on clay, I'd prefer mine in by dark.

8-3pm turnout all winter doesn't sound bad to me if is clay. Ideally I'd have unlimited turnout on sand, but that aside!*

Does yard allow 24-7 turnout in summer?

The new yard is also clay and again, well managed. The horses have to come in at night all year round, there is no option for 24/7 t/o in summer. However, grazing is not limited as there is both winter and summer grazing - there would be two mares in one field, three geldings in another, plus 3 other fields resting at any one time.

The more I think about it, I feel that 17 hours standing in overnight is too much for a 3yo.