Moving Yards - Any advice on settling in

express_75

Visit site
Im moving my mare to a yard that is very close to my home (3 min drive as opposed to the 40 drive ive been doing). Im moving with another family, who are taking their section d's too.

Any advice on settling in? Im looking forward but im also a bit worried as my mare is very attached to her field mate, which we will be sadly leaving behind.

Thanks for reading

x

gummybear

Visit site
Magnesium can be used as a calmer - when I moved my horse recently, I put him on Magnatude for 2 weeks prior to the move, during and for 2 weeks after.

Not sure if it really made a difference - but he settled in immediately well.

Janah

Visit site
I would try as far as possible to keep to routine. If you normally ride every day, do so. Feed at the same times etc.

Whenever I've moved mine I have carried on as usual and pony has settled very quickly.

Jane

bailey14

Visit site
I would put Star of Bethlehem or Rescue Remedy which is a Bach natural flower remedy in your horses water for a few days before and after the move. This should reassure your horse if he gets stressed as is a complete homeopathic remedy available from all good chemists. The most important thing is to keep to a routine. Horses thrive on routine. A fairly long hack might settle it down a little. Or you could walk it in hand around the new yard so it can have a sniff and a look about and take in the new sights and sounds, but still have some reassurance from you. Horses tend to settle very well, especially if your horse has been out and about a lot at shows and the like. My horse wouldn't care if he was put in a busy nightclub on the moon so long as he had his haynet to munch and his beloved snack ball to roll around to his hearts content, bless! x