Moving Yards? Opinions Needed

Blackhawk

sublimedesigns.moonfruit.com
I've been given the oppertunity to move yards, and normally I wouldn't consider moving, but the person who owns this new yard is a good friend of mine.

I honestly can't decide what to do! Opinions appreciated.

Current Yard:

Pros:

* Known YO for years, she's always looked out for my boy.
* YO is known to bend over backwards to help me. ie when I've been in hospital or when we had to collect my boy from loaners with 1 hours notice.
* My boy is settled there and happy
* Yard has an outdoor school and jumping paddock
* Have moved to a different yard before and gone back.

Cons:

* Yard is far away, but easy to get to. Bus and a walk which takes me an hour each way.
* Don't know anyone at yard other than staff who I've known for years. Have tried to strike up conversations with some people with no luck.
* Hacking isn't good and onto main road
* My gelding's field mate is leaving next week so would be an ideal time to move.
* Very large yard (40+ horses) with the majority of people being under 18.
* With so many people, yard can get untidy. Have noticed my box has been used a couple of times.

Potential Yard:

Pros:

* Owned by friend, and will only be 4 other liveries. One of whom is another friend of mine.
* Hacking in the area
* Discounted livery rates which would save me between £20-80 a month.
* Good grazing
* Nice and small, friend living on site

Cons:

* No school
* Hard to get to. Much closer to my house but no buses. However, OH is moving back here in 6 weeks and can take me to yard after work.

No idea what to do. What to be at a yard with my friends, but I also don't want to leave my current yard as the YO is so good to me and my boy. I'd feel guilty for leaving too as she bends over backwards for him, and we've only been back a few weeks.

hellybelly6

Visit site
Where do you think you horse would be happiest?

My priority is him and where he will be happy.

Sorry I cant give you a straight y or n answer.

Blackhawk

He's very easy to do. Big or small yard he isn't bothered at all. I've had him at both types of yard now and can't say I noticed a change in his behaviour at all. In fact, when I first moved him to the large yard I am now on, he ignored all the other horses and fell asleep in his box. He's very laid back.
smile.gif

Jingleballs

Visit site
If the horse will be happy at either yard then you need to consider what you'll be happier with - would you prefer the hacking at the new yard to the schooling facilities at the old yard - could you cope without a school esp during the winter when it's too dark to hack after work?

You mention the difficulty in getting there - what happen when you O/H is not available - are you going to enjoy the trek in the middle of winter when it's p-ing down, pitch black and freezing cold?

Personally I think your current yard sounds fab and as you said, you were not looking to move anyway.

arwenplusone

www.freewebs.com

Hmm... knowing yard 1 I say move
tongue.gif

If you don't need the school and are looking to hack out with company then yard 2 sounds ideal. Could you spend the money you save on getting there? Also could your friend give you a lift til OH is back?

YO at yard one is lovely but IMO has too much on. Plus (without saying too much on here) the fields need some attention and there are too many horses there. Aside from that I think that liveries 'make' a yard and if you don't get on with them it is not fun.

A hard decision I agree but maybe one you will be glad you made?

hayleymitch

Visit site
its a hard one i wouldn't know myself, it isnt very good if you cant get to the new yard easly, and do u school alot because if u do having no school could be a nightmare.
But on the other hand i do really think small and friendly yards are so much better and you know who is who and who is coming and going, i wouldnt like being on a massive yard.
but only u can deside if your horse will be happy anywhere then think of yourself and which yard u would enjoy the most.
I bet u move let us know how u get on

Blackhawk

[ QUOTE ]
If i were you I'd stay where you were - at least you can get there independently and you trust YO - what happens if you fall out with friend??

[/ QUOTE ]

Is a possibility I suppose. We've been friends for years though, and there will be other liveries there, not just me.

[ QUOTE ]
would you prefer the hacking at the new yard to the schooling facilities at the old yard - could you cope without a school esp during the winter when it's too dark to hack after work?

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a schooling paddock, but obviously this becomes redundant in winter. However, my boy will be turned away over the winter due to me having a baby.
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
hey hun

if it were me with Indy hun im not sure what id do. She prefers it on a smaller yard but needs a school more than hacking atm LOL

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I remember you saving Indy prefers smaller yards. Most horses seem to and it's better for them not having lots of comings and goings.

Chestnuttymare

www.ipcmedia.com
Don't want to choose as it is you who has to make the final decision. However, i left a nice yard with brilliant yo who helped me lots to livery at a 'friends' place. It was a nightmare, friend went really funny and would never help me out, although i helped her tons, told people she hated my horse etc. Needless to say we are no longer friends and i am at lovely yard now on equal terms with everyone else. The upside is that i was made aware of what kind of person 'friend' really was.
I don't think i would mix business with pleasure again.

Blackhawk

[ QUOTE ]

Hmm... knowing yard 1 I say move
tongue.gif

If you don't need the school and are looking to hack out with company then yard 2 sounds ideal. Could you spend the money you save on getting there? Also could your friend give you a lift til OH is back?

YO at yard one is lovely but IMO has too much on. Plus (without saying too much on here) the fields need some attention and there are too many horses there. Aside from that I think that liveries 'make' a yard and if you don't get on with them it is not fun.

A hard decision I agree but maybe one you will be glad you made?

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha I was hoping you'd comment, seeing as you left the yard.
smile.gif
Friend has offered lifts to the yard as she passes my house. Spoke to OH tonight who says it's within cycling distance. (Not sure I believe him!
tongue.gif
)

I'm not unhappy at yard 1, I just feel very left out atm since you and a few others buggered off
tongue.gif
I'm like the last man standing up there. Almost everyone is gone now. Lots more kids.

arwenplusone

www.freewebs.com
Well it sounds like you have nearly made your mind up already!
grin.gif

We only stayed as long as we did because of YO (and of how close it is to my house) but moving was the best thing we did!

Just keep in touch with H - you can always go back.

niagaraduval

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Don't want to choose as it is you who has to make the final decision. However, i left a nice yard with brilliant yo who helped me lots to livery at a 'friends' place. It was a nightmare, friend went really funny and would never help me out, although i helped her tons, told people she hated my horse etc. Needless to say we are no longer friends and i am at lovely yard now on equal terms with everyone else. The upside is that i was made aware of what kind of person 'friend' really was.
I don't think i would mix business with pleasure again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Completely agree. Same thing happened to me. Friends are friends, business is business, they shouldn't be mixed.

Lozz1uk

Visit site
If you're not going to ride over the winter and new yard is cheaper, then I'd move. If the school's the main differentiator - you won't be using it? You can spend the money saved on nappies!

Jingleballs

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
If you're not going to ride over the winter and new yard is cheaper, then I'd move. If the school's the main differentiator - you won't be using it? You can spend the money saved on nappies!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yip agree with this - if you're not bothered about schooling this winter than your friends yard sounds fab and you can reassess at a later date if your needs change and it no longer suits.
smile.gif