Moving Yards

Miss L Toe

Visit site
OK, I have been trying to sell my pony for ages, at the moment he is at a yard with no hacking, and no social life for me. I do not enjoy riding him there, avoid it when possible.
I can't find a yard that suits both me and him, also he gets upset when moved.
Should I go back to a yard I left last year, it has limited hacking, but only roads, and they are not ideal. The arena floods in winter and the YO is totally inflexible, but the horses are brought in and put out, so in theory, I only have to go up once if I leave an outdoor rug on him.
Why is this all so difficult, there is nothing wrong with the horse, just cannot sell him. I think he is priced correctly, he needs a long term home as he gets upset when moved. I can't even find a sharer, though it would be more likely at the other yard.
I have been paying an instructor to school him to make him more saleable, but this is not working, people come and ride him and he behaves nicely, does what they ask, what more can I do, sigh.

applecart14

Visit site
Its a buyers market out there at the moment and people have so many horses to choose from. No disrespect but are you sure he is not over priced? How about asking around people who know the horse to put a price on him so you get a more realistic idea? I reckon the dealer could have sold me my horse (had I had that much money) for at least another two or three thousand more but he was sensible and offered him me at a good price.

Just because he is worth 'x' amount to you doesn't mean he is to others.

I'd try and find another yard. It would worry me if I felt like I didn't want to be around my horse due to the fact that i didn't want to be around the yard anymore.

Last edited:

Miss L Toe

Visit site
Its a buyers market out there at the moment and people have so many horses to choose from. No disrespect but are you sure he is not over priced? How about asking around people who know the horse to put a price on him so you get a more realistic idea? I reckon the dealer could have sold me my horse (had I had that much money) for at least another two or three thousand more but he was sensible and offered him me at a good price.

Just because he is worth 'x' amount to you doesn't mean he is to others.

I'd try and find another yard. It would worry me if I felt like I didn't want to be around my horse due to the fact that i didn't want to be around the yard anymore.
No I have asked people who know him, and have looked at the local market, he is in the lower end, and no one who has seen him has argued about the price being too high for him. He is priced to sell but I don't want to sell him too low in case someone buys him to sell on, which may happen anyway..........
Desperately seeking a suitable yard, have been looking for months.

Ella19

Visit site
I don't think I would go back to the original yard if you are still trying to sell him. It won't be long before winter sets in and you can't let potential buyers ride him in the arena because it's flooded, and no hacking to give them a good hack either. Unless you have transport to take him to better facilities for trial buyers then it would put me off i'm afraid.

Have you popped a wanted ad up anywhere? I got a few really good replies to mine when I was looking, all local people with small yards that don't advertise but places go by word of mouth instead.

Miss L Toe

Visit site
I don't think I would go back to the original yard if you are still trying to sell him. It won't be long before winter sets in and you can't let potential buyers ride him in the arena because it's flooded, and no hacking to give them a good hack either. Unless you have transport to take him to better facilities for trial buyers then it would put me off i'm afraid.

Have you popped a wanted ad up anywhere? I got a few really good replies to mine when I was looking, all local people with small yards that don't advertise but places go by word of mouth instead.
Yes I have trawled the area, practically every place is full, has some major issue, or is too faraway. I have a wanted ad on two online sites and am in contact with people in similar position. I have just finished a door knocking exercise locally. The place is over run with horses.

sarahann1

Visit site
OK, I have been trying to sell my pony for ages, at the moment he is at a yard with no hacking, and no social life for me. I do not enjoy riding him there, avoid it when possible.
I can't find a yard that suits both me and him, also he gets upset when moved.
Should I go back to a yard I left last year, it has limited hacking, but only roads, and they are not ideal. The arena floods in winter and the YO is totally inflexible, but the horses are brought in and put out, so in theory, I only have to go up once if I leave an outdoor rug on him.
Why is this all so difficult, there is nothing wrong with the horse, just cannot sell him. I think he is priced correctly, he needs a long term home as he gets upset when moved. I can't even find a sharer, though it would be more likely at the other yard.
I have been paying an instructor to school him to make him more saleable, but this is not working, people come and ride him and he behaves nicely, does what they ask, what more can I do, sigh.

I thought you didn't like your old yard MrsD123? http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=450726&highlight=Mrsd123

So that would rule out option 1, no?

Unfortunately its a buyers market and there are lots and lots of horses out there for people to choose from. Fingers crossed the right person comes along for your boy soon.

Miss L Toe

Visit site