Moving Yards

Captain Lad

Visit site
Captain and I will be moving yards end of next week and wanting some advice on do's and dont's before and after and any tips that assist in his settling following our arrival 🌸

Captain came home to the current yard as a just turn 4 year old end of May 2023. He spent the first few days chilled out, laying down in his stable. He is a fairly laid back lad however coming up to 5 he is starting to test the boundaries 🙈

I class myself still as a Novice owner as I havn't gone through experiences like this before hence the ask for any pointers

Equi

Visit site
Get him there as early as possible and get him turned out into his paddock, bring in at the same time as the rest and get on to the yards routine from day one.

In day two take him to all the places, arena etc and work him. Even if you don’t ride, work. Basically treat him as if he has not changed yards and do whatever it is you did before. They settle a lot faster when they know their routine and realise things really haven’t changed much.

94lunagem

Visit site
I'm fairly gung-ho about these things, and unless you have a particularly quirky horse (it doesn't sound like you do), I would just move, turnout and get on with it. I don't tend to bother giving days and days to settle before riding, again treat him as you would under normal circumstances and get on.

I keep mine at home so have the flexibility to manage turnout as I see fit, I imagine you are moving to another livery yard? In which case they will let you know how turnout will work and how they manage introductions if it's herd turnout. Find out what the routine is regarding fetching in times etc.

Get him there, crack on and have fun :)

Birker2020

Visit site
Agree with Equi. Start as you mean to go on. Day one of owning Bailey I went on a 90 minute hack on my own. Following day in the trailer to a busy showground for a look around and a canter over the XC on our own, following weekend out competing, jumping a derby!

Horses settle really quickly on the whole, I've never had any issues with the seven horses I've owned not settling either on their first day of ownership or when moving to another yard.

Routine is everything. Have fun!

starbucker

Visit site
I was equally worried moving my young mare, settled straight away to be more settled than at the old yard funnily enough. Shes on a better routine, (same every day) more people to ride out with etc shes a better horse after the move (after being kept in for worm count) - check new yards worm schedule maybe to prevent being kept in longer than necessary?