Mr Clipper man

Visit site
I have an old pair of secondhand clippers, very heavy and big,There are no markings on them to say what they are, nothing to say what wattage etc. They have a green body ! someone has said they think they are Lister, I am using WOlsey A6 blades on my wire wool cobs legs. I cannot seem to get the tension right, there are no markings on the tensioning screw either ! Anyone got any ideas

ofcourseyoucan

Visit site
wolsley blades don't fit on lister machines! would think its an old wolsley machine. plenty of oil and screw tension down til the noise changes then release about half a turn. did the person who serviced/PAT tested them not know what make they were? make sure you have a breaker fitted on your cable!

Shear Ease

www.sheareaseltd.com
They could well be Lister GmBh clippers. They are heavy, big, noisy and take wolseley blades. These?

http://www.lister.de/index.php?modu...=animal_clippers&index[products][category]=22

Can't get the tension right? Just make sure you have the Nut, Bolt & Spring first, easy to lose the spring and struggle with the tension.

Start with the tension loose and gradually tighten it. Try clipping, if it does not clip, then tighten a bit more. If the blades get hot then forget the tension for now. Get your blades sharpened and try again. Always keep the tension as loose as you can (but obviously just tight enough for the blades to cut!)

The tension set could also be stripped. Does the tension nut come undone after tightening?

Let us know if you need more help!

Visit site
Shear Ease, that's them all right ! I have had the blades sharpened, and they were serviced a while ago, I think that's when it was mentioned they were possibly Lister. The blades get hot in a very short time even if I loosen the nut. They get very noisy and clattery the looser the nut. I will try what you suggest next time Im clipping, which at the rate his legs grow will be about a weeks time ! Thank you. ETA I see they are cattle clippers ! I always knew he was bull headed !

Last edited:

Shear Ease

www.sheareaseltd.com
Thought so. We live right near RAF valley and these bad boys put them jets to shame! It's difficult to say exactly what the problem is without seeing them but they could have a worn H/D Bush or a worn eccentric, you could tighten the tension something silly with either of these worn and the blades would still not work.

That clipper does run noisy and 'warmer' than other clippers, that's what comes from having 350w motor!

TheEngineer

Visit site
Sounds like an "Old green Harrier, or a Liscop" check for wear on the eccentric cam and on the pins that hold the cutter. Also check where you got your blades sharpened! It makes a big difference. Also slide out the air filter at the back and hold it up to the light...can you see light through it? No light=no cooling. Last, what oil are you using,avoid aerosols and use a 30 grade. Drip type.

Mike007

Visit site
I just love these clipper posts. In my mind ,theengineer smokes a pipe and wears a cloth cap and brown overalls, has a lunchbox with handcrafted sandwiches courtesy of mrs theengineer possibly a thermos for tea ,but only in the absence of a proper brew that you can stand the spoon up in.Oh ,and a Yorkshire accent!

Shear Ease

www.sheareaseltd.com
In my mind ,theengineer smokes a pipe and wears a cloth cap and brown overalls, has a lunchbox with handcrafted sandwiches courtesy of mrs theengineer possibly a thermos for tea ,but only in the absence of a proper brew that you can stand the spoon up in.Oh ,and a Yorkshire accent!

So tempted to post a picture of said MrEngineer in tweed.... lol

Liscop 3000, Liveryman Mustang and the Wolseley harrier are all Lister 3000 re branded. In Wolseley and Liveryman cases they often place their sticker right on top of the Lister sticker, not even bothering to remove it first!