Mrs Hewitt Dove Stud - Jailed

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
Mental illness, particularly in the elderly, can take many forms, especially if grief is added to the mix. She very probably allowed this to happen over time, having been unable to cope following her husbands death and the whole situation spiraling out of control. This often happens, usually the result is a mucky house and unpaid bills, rather than neglected horses, as most people do not have the horses in the first place! We had a similar situation locally about 15 years ago and with help and support the lady involved was rehomed, as were her animals. She was not happy with the outcome, but it was in fact the safest option for all involved. She also refused to allow her daughters to help.

dsykes

Visit site
If she turned down offers of help , then surely someone knew of the situation - how did it take so long for it to be resolved ?. Obviously we may not know the full facts.
Also , if it was known how neglected her own animals were , how was she still allowed to judge ?

This is not the first time a judge has been convicted of cruelty - there was another Welsh judge in the last couple of years who neglected a pony . Very alarming

Brandysnap

Visit site
Hi perfect11s,

totally agree! Why should age be an excuse for what is nothing short of murder of innocents?

These 2 women's own defence lawyer, John Young, could only come up with a very weak reason for their abominable behaviour - ie 'neither Hewitt or her daughter had realised the
animals' situation had become as bad as it was'

Yet, this 84-year-old was still judging for the 'Welsh Pony and
Cob Club'? (With my apologies for never having heard of this club, and with worries that it may become confused with another similar sounding, very professional society?)

And what of the daughter? Suspended sentence? (She'd be hanging BY her suspenders, if i had my way!!
smirk.gif

Hoping justice will be done, and my thoughts are with the innocent animals who were betrayed.

Thanks, Keltic, for telling us about this atrocity. It's only by sharing local knowledge, which doesn't make national news, that we can then look into it more, + learn the true picture. Thanks, friend, every best wish, BS x

PS: Hi Murphysminder, my Mum also overfed everything in sight!! Think she was intent on making me a total bloater!! (The feeding thing must be a Mum thing!!) Bless her, + yours too! X

miss_bird

Visit site
before this case even went to court Mrs hewitt's mentality would of been tested, so they knew what charges could be brought against her and so that she was able to answer the charges in court.
If her mentality had been in question the chrages would of been lesser due to diminished responsibility, so i do not think there is any question of her being sound of mind.
Animal cruelity pure and simple, and yes i am of the she deserves all she gets no matter what age she is

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
Her mental health would only have been tested if she had been willing to be subjected to it, unless she was being assessed for detention under the Mental Health Act 1983. There is no defence of diminished responsibility in this country, although the court do need to know if a person is fit to plead, again if the person refuses to co-operate an assessment cannot be imposed upon them.