much wow! 100% vaulting! Many stunts!

lucemoose

Visit site
Of course I'm not vaulting, there is just no option for show hunter in the image drop down!!
For anyone that is confused by the weather and the discipline, I'm down in NZ in pony country, its not just been a particularly good weather weekend in Surrey.
On Saturday I took Teak up to South Auckland (bro) to do a showhunter derby. I have said I do not particularly want to do show hunter anymore unless I have a trainer, as it is a subjective and name driven sport and I like to not be at a disadvantage. It has taught me how to work my ring and how to really jump out of a rhythm, which I lacked with my last two horses.
The derby involved jumping a few fences of show hunter or rustic style, in a SH manner so flow, pace, regularity in the jump and canter and then heading up a hill to jump out of more XC pace, then back into the ring to trot a fence, jump what seemed like a cockney flower shop and finish down a line.
Teak had just come into season and the weather was tropical, so we were hot and bothered and our warm up was rather hormonal. My bf told me to stop worrying about Teak, as we knew she was in season and so just to get on with it before a drama unfolded. She stopped in the warm up, possibly looking at a cloud, and insisted on jumping off a stride that even Red Rum would have baulked at. Clever girl.
http://youtu.be/y9jMWly0Yjs
She had one stop up the hill, given her inattentiveness and the way the round actually looked I am still pleased as punch with her. She looks so calm, obedient and classy in the ring and I am so proud that she is my horse, that I have produced at the bottom of the world.
No ribbons, no call back, just a late breakfast for her at the trailer.
1507001_271657839664837_14646187_n.jpg

1912209_271657856331502_330188274_n.jpg

1899906_271657826331505_1006882150_n.jpg

just some screen shots.
Her breeder also brought her 5 year old homebred, by Pintado Desperado along. This is the same guy I took out to the George Morris clinic a year ago, and hadn't really ridden since a few weeks ago. This was to be his first affiliated show and he was doing the low training classes.
In SH here before the classes start there is a period of time known as warm up rounds, or "avoid head on collisions with any of the other 5 people in the ring at the same time" it's a paid free for all, if you like. Shadow coped admirably with this all and waited at the side of the ring for his first class.
http://youtu.be/K9zHgRkf4qY
He won!!! His owner was so so chuffed, and so was I! He has this massive jump but is just a touch spooky, ahem, and so was a great introduction for him. I came 5th in the next class which was equitation, and then the rain came again during the third class so I made an executive decision to scrap the fourth class and go home before him or I had a tanty.
1782147_271649576332330_869121238_n.jpg

1965043_271649516332336_259857156_n.jpg

Clever ponies!!!
this is how good Teak is to me..
1688167_10152220623608518_291418544_n.jpg

and these are from a 5 hour trek yesterday
1960917_271651562998798_1317938164_o.jpg

1907898_271651592998795_1830877141_o.jpg

And thats this weeks HHO abroad wrapped up!

EveningStar

Visit site
*snort* at the title!

Teak is so cool, I still think its a bit mean asking you to jump sideways on a hill. I thought making the posh kids go over a bank was a bit rough in our one, let alone actual jumping!

Show Hunter is hard, there is definitely a type that some judges like (I think they forget the "show" in Show Hunter")

I really like Shadow, I can see why you won that round, the knees weren't perfect but the rhythm was.

dianchi

Visit site
See people are ignoring you for not having the title, look at the amazing teak (oh and the sunshine)

Well done tho! Mares in season are a right pain!

Grey looks lovely!

EmmaB

Visit site
Lmao at title :biggrin3: you look great together! Interesting having a part where you have to go out into that sloped field! You made it look easy to keep a nice rhythm, my horse would see that open field and use it as an excuse to tank off and gallop at every fence after that!

j1ffy

Visit site
No wonder Teak stopped, that was a bit random! She looks lovely and rhythmical though. Shadow looked like he did a very cute round - what breed is he?

lucemoose

Visit site
He's out of a tb mare and by pintado desperado, who also sired mark Todd's Gandalf. He is a real mish mash of breeding, I think he's a stationbred, in essence so a mixture of all the horses that were on the station, tb, Clyde, bush pony etc. I know there's Australian stock horse in there somewhere! The pintados often are blue and white, and all have a little Arab dish to their heads.

hrimfaxi

Visit site
As above I really like your reports! Teak is lovely and it looked like a good round, the cantering into another field and jumps on a hill seems totally random to me and I think mine would have had a serious look at that! The grey is gorgeous too, very sweet round.

I also have to say I think you have a great attitude doing a different discipline and always finding the positives in it!

lucemoose

Visit site
Thank you very much. I feel so privileged to ride, let alone my own horse in a show and I think it's so important to be sunny and positive. I did come out the ring to my bf and friend and I wanted to whine, but instead I just said GRUMBLE! And patted the pony. We all have a lot to learn and that's important.
I also feel like I have to show people what it's like in a different place competing, lots of people over here don't really seem too bothered about what they could maybe learn or be interested in from me but I think it's fascinating!