Mucking out fork (straw) for bad backs?

becca1305

Visit site
I really struggle with mucking out and not ending up with the joint(s) inflaming at the bottom of my back. I've been to the doctor, a good sports/riding physio and a chiro, but it appears the issue is here to stay :(. I'm sure I remember seeing at some point a fork with a long handle with another handle half way down it, and wondered if anyone had one to review/ knows what they are called?!

I'm tempted just to try a long fork, as being tall I think the doubling over is most of the issue, however not sure with these if I would just end up holding it further down!

Anyone else with the same issue have any product recommendations/ hints and tips? Thanks :).

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
three prong pitchfork-the only useful implement for a straw bed IMO :) much easier on the back-although a little harder on the elbow. Once you get proficient with it, you can pick up anything.

DuckToller

Visit site
I use a long handled fork, the longest I could find. It is much better for my back as I don't have to bend over so far. If I can't find it and grab the shorter fork, I can feel the difference within a few minutes.

If my back is playing up, I make sure I only half fill the fork - lots of little lifts are much better than shoving the muck into a pile and trying to lift the whole lot in one go - so obvious, but I still do it some days!

Also try training yourself to muck out using the fork in the other hand - it's really hard, but if you can do a little bit every day, you eventually get used to it. It evens up the muscles although it's like being a beginner all over again :)

JCWHITE

Visit site
Echo thoughts re a long handle fork, also i wear a belt, sold as a motorbike riders kidney belt in Lidl, very cheap. keep the back warm and supported, which for me is half the battle.