Mucking out gloves

hurricane124

Visit site
Just wondered if anyone had a recommendation for some reasonably priced gloves? Ideally waterproof and warm but not restrictive.
I'm not actually around horses much at the minute while I'm healing a broken pelvis and I'm actually after the gloves for mucking out a ferret shed for the time being, but I reckon what works for one will work for both and hopefully I can get some use of of them when I'm fit to be back at the yard.

cauda equina

Visit site
I also wear Screwfix gloves, but the disposable vinyl ones
They fit under any other sort of gloves - rubber, magic, you name it

SEL

Visit site
I'm currently wearing bright pink ski gloves. They were on offer at Mountain Warehouse and have been a life saver this week. Plus even I can't lose bright pink....

Reactions: J&S

madmav

Visit site
Nitrile gloves. Bought from Horse & Health for about £6. They are thin enough to do jobs, but just about enough to keep my rubbish fingers warm.

Remi'sMum

Visit site
Skytec Argon. About £6 on eBay. Thick rubber and lined so are pretty warm. Not 100% waterproof eg for scooping broken ice out of water troughs you might get damp hands. But tough, hardwearing and warm especially if you put a pair of thin disposable latex type gloves underneath.

scrat

Visit site
These are quite warm and grippy. Being day Glo yellow makes them easier to find. They wash well and are cheap,(£1.70) enough to buy a few pairs https.com/departments/diall-hi-vis-gripper-gloves-size-8-pair/677665_BQ.prd

Floxie

Visit site
I use neoprene wetsuit type gloves.
They use them at the car washed too ;)

Neoprene isn't even slightly waterproof though (hence the 'wet' part of wetsuit!) - have you found some that are?

I'm just salty because this question got asked on a Facebook horsey group, and so many people recommended cheap neoprene gloves on Ebay so I tried them - warm enough (not brilliant) but not a little bit waterproof (although they do say they are in the description) :(

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Skytec Argon. About £6 on eBay. Thick rubber and lined so are pretty warm. Not 100% waterproof eg for scooping broken ice out of water troughs you might get damp hands. But tough, hardwearing and warm especially if you put a pair of thin disposable latex type gloves underneath.

I have these and are great much of the time.
Yes waterproof over finger and palm area, so ok for grabbing ice out once lifted with shovel.
Go up a size if very bitter.
Even cheaper if you buy in bulk with friends.

If really bitter, then these cheapo ones over thin fleece gloves work a treat :) https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Red-PVC-Gloves---One-Size/p/186925

Merrymoles

Visit site
I wear Aldi cycling gloves and they are great - I have trashed current pair this year thanks to walking (pulling) dog while wearing them but bought three pairs when they were last advertised so still have a pair in reserve!

ETA they are not selling them at the moment but there are women's ski gloves on the website at £4.99 so they might be worth a look!

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
I use the thicker lined washing up gloves while mucking out. Totally waterproof, easy to pick up the bits of poo missed by the fork, perfect for clearing ice off troughs and picking up feet to pick out without getting caked in mud. Cheap and warm.