Mucking out speed

humblepie

Visit site
God I feel really slow. From start to finish- 1 stable, generously sized chopped straw bank on rubber mats, haylage fed on floor and in haynet, 3 water buckets, horse stabled at night (from 4pm-8am). It takes me around 45 mins if don't stop for a break to let the floor air out a bit. That includes 2 trips to muck heap, rinsing/scrubbing/filling/transporting 3 water buckets, collecting haylage from haylage point and sweeping my part of the yard, so maybe not too bad!
I am similar to you - others do two in half the time I do mine, but I do a full bed, sweep back up each day, do banks etc whereas some of the others have minimal beds and do a very minimal tidy up. There are some banks that haven't be excavated for years.

sportsmansB

Visit site
I often do 8 in 45 mins - auto drinkers and corner hay racks and on shavings.
I am sweating by the end as I literally go as quickly as I can, I have an office job so I treat my mucking out days (maybe 4-5 per week) as part of my weekly exercise. I take out all wet and poos but I don't sieve for every tiny spec. I use a multi fork so about 8 or 10 tines, strong enough to get in to the wet but narrow enough to get most of the poos. I get approx 4 stables to one big super tipper wheelbarrow (think its about 280L so the size of 4 small ones)
I lift poos I can see, scrape back top layer to find wet and take it out, throw the top layer around the walls and more poos fall out, and pull it back into place and sweep up. Helps if you know the horses and their routine pee spots.