Mucking out - what do you think - how many stables per day?

martlin

www.martlinequestrian.co.uk
It takes me just over 2.5 hours to do morning yard, so feed, turn out, muck out, haynets and waters, sweep and tidy up for 8 horses and a foal. It takes my groom over 4 hours and it is driving me mad slowly.

TarrSteps

Visit site
Depends entirely on mitigating factors such as how much else you have to do, how the yard is set up etc.

I've done everything from 20ish to 5. My usual standard is one person can do 10 on a daily basis at a good standard in a reasonable time with enough left over to do extra bits and pieces. Most competent people can do more than that for a day or two but ongoing it's going to lead to illness and injury. I had 8 to do on my own yard, including riding "properly" and that was on the edge to give everyone good service.

I think if you are a sole/senior employee you have a right to sit down with your employer, make a list and have them show you how long - REASONABLY - each job should take with a little space left over to do extras and an understanding that sometimes **** happens and then other things will drop off. If you're on your own with your own yard then it's your call BUT you have to attend to quality not just quantity. There are times in my life when I've just tried to cram as much into a day as possible and, frankly, no one was getting their money's worth and I usually ended up making myself ill.

Jenni_

www.facebook.com
My weekend job the yard is split up. on the 'back yard' which is full of ponies/ medium sized horses on shavings I can do the full 10 boxes, waters, and sweep the yard in 1.5 hours. ESPECIALLY if like EKW, you put me in a bad mood. I am a quick mucker though, and some of the boxes are pretty clean.

Other boxes/ yards take me slightly longer- 5-10 minutes a box- but thats a basic muckout and fill water if need be. Muckheap is fairly close.

We're expected to do at least 7 boxes a day each.

twiggy2

Visit site
depends on yard, standards and if the horses are liveries.

when i worked at a riding school livery yard with very high standards I had 3 full liveries with 2 hrs turnout per day plus 3 riding school ponies out at night. other staff had a similar amount about 4 live out and 2 live in each. I started at 7.30 to hay and feed everyone else started at 8.30 and turn out first lot was first general job-stables had to be fully mucked out (banks lifted/floor swept) daily and sweeping and stables finished and 1st lot in 2nd lot out by 10.30-we would have brushed off and tacked and untacked at 9/9.30 and ten too. we had to be tacked up and ready for our lesson for 11. untacked skipped out, hay + feed, bring in/turn out all lots and lunch by 12.15.

30 mins lunch then 1hrs lecture, skip out, bring in, turn out, groom, tack clean, excersise, bring in, turn out night lot, skip out, bed down, feed hay. taking up and untacking as we went along all day.

we were busy but we had time to keep the horses to a high standard and finish at 5.45.

I worked at a yard where I did 2 hrs work and had to turn out 15 (some fields were a long walk (run), clean out stables, hay, make feeds, if I went back to bring in I got paid for half an hour to bring in 15 and pick out feet-I hated it nothing was done properly , fresh water was given on a friday as owners only came up at weekend, stables were skipped out most days as not enough time to do a decent job, never changed a rug or had timto look at the horse under the rug. often had youngsters for backing or satllions on the yard-never knew what would be there waiting for me on a monday, or if new arrival had ever been handled-just used to have to chuck it outwith new field mates and walk away as no time to keep an eye on them

Sorry gone off track a bit but depends on how good a job you want done Op, if I was paying for full livery I want stable done by 10.30 at latest, turn out by 9am and someone on yard by 8am at latest and full muck out daily

sportsmansB

Visit site
I really think on normal shavings/straw beds 8 per person is plenty - and starting at 8 and finishing at 10.30 with waters, sweeping etc done and looking good, ideally with all 8 onto walker and off again. That is around 10-15 mins per stable and the rest general jobs. I would certainly expect if anyone came on to a yard of mine that the yard would be presentable by 10.30.
Half an hour for breakfast still leaves 2 hrs before lunch to get riding/turning out/grooming done, and 2 hours the other side of lunch before getting stuck into skipping out/bringing in, and getting finished up.
Still allows wriggle room for days off/hols etc (though i tended to start a bit earlier then, so as still to be done with morning stuff by 10.30)

Charlie Bucket

Visit site
When i worked on a yard I had 15 horses to muck out on various beddings; pellets/sawdust took me 5 minutes, straw more towards 15 minutes.

30 haylage nets and 6 waters as most had automatic drinkers, and sweep whole yard.

Started at 7am, turning out usually took me around an hour, as the fields are quite a way from the stables, then I would start on the above. Was usually done by 10.30am then any lunging/riding would be done before lunch at 12.30. :)

Mince Pie

Visit site
Racing yards allocate for 5 horses/boxes to be mucked out per lot per yard person, a lot is 60mins

God I bloody wish - last racing yard I did I had 4 hours to do 20 plus bring in/turnout and putting horses on the walker. Hated it and left.
Current yard is lovely, 6 to do with turnout and bring in - 2 hours in the morning and an hour or so in the afternoon. Problem is I'm so out of practice I'm struggling lol but finally managed it this morning!

scribble

Visit site
I used to work on one of the royal studs and i had 15 mare and foals to turn out and their stables to get mucked out before the vets came at 10am. we started at 08:00am.