Mucking out: What's your technique?

CobsGalore

Visit site
Interested to hear you techniques for mucking out.... I feel mine could be better, so I suppose I'm really after some tips! :D

...Particularly, with separating the clean straw from the wet straw

Nugget La Poneh

Visit site
With straw - take the obvious poos off the top. Bank up the obviously clean bits. With the straw that is like to be a bit phooey underneath I flip it over and pick the manky bit off, then throw the cleaner straw up on to the banks. The trick with straw is having a proper fork with fine tines as this makes all the difference!
Shavings - take the poo off the top, bank up the obviously clean, remove the obvious wet. Throw up the already mixed stuff on the banks and the poo should fall down and you can then pick up. Or you can don the gloves and pick up the poo by hand, then dig out the wet, and then throw up the remaining shavings.
Wood chip - same as shavings if not deep littered, but not much different apart from you leave a base.

Boxers

Visit site
My horse is on shavings. I pick up the poops. Tidy the banks. Smooth the top of the main bed. Leave the wet as this is what makes the "bottom", ie, the wet compacts and makes a solid base. Add 1-2 bales per week, obv depending on how long the horse is in the stable and how much the bed is used. At the end of winter, ie, after 6 mths in our yard, empty the whole lot out and pressure wash the stable ready for next year!

BroadfordQueen

Visit site
I use a fine layer of sawdust on the floor under my straw bed, which means the straw doesnt get too wet as the sawdust soaks up most of it. So once ive got the muck out, I just get the worst of the wet straw out- makes it much quicker and easier. Once or twice a week I do a proper muck out, which involves banking up all the cleanest straw, getting the wet straw out and then removing the wet sawdust (usually just one patch of the stable) and put some new clean sawdust down. Then bring the straw back down to use as base, and put some new clean straw as banks which I then bring down throughout the week.