Mucking out with a bad back!!!

punk

Visit site
Sometime last year, someone on here came up with a link for a shavings fork for people with bad backs.

At the time I thought it looked like a great idea, but now that I REALLY need it, I can't find the link!!
frown.gif

It was a fork that avoided the twisting and turning, at the same time as bending forward - which is what I find so crippling at the moment.

Has anyone got any ideas, or remember the thread???
confused.gif
smile.gif

Rana

Visit site
I remember the thread but can't remember the exact product which was recommended.

I use this one though: http://futureshavingsfork.co.uk/

It's lighter than most shavings forks, which is what I found made the difference, and I think it's slightly taller so you don't need to bend so much.

I really notice the difference if I ever borrow someone elses fork - my back starts hurting within half a stable. With this one, I can happily muck out 6 and not feel it.

fatpiggy

Visit site
My back is terrible. I use aubiose/hemcore and have an aubiose fork (which I can also do a shavings or straw bed with if necessary). I think it is a Future Fork. The current one is 4 years old and cost £40 ish as I remember, but worth every penny. They are very light, incredibly well engineered tools which balance superbly, are very safe to use around the horse, don't break if the ned stands on the tines and have long handles, so far less strain on the back. I also poo-pick in the field with mine, although you have to use a different technique getting the poo out of long grass - something like flipping pancakes!

punk

Visit site
Thank you fatpiggy and Rana - sorry it has taken me so long to reply - have been offline due to to computer probs.

Don't think either of your suggestions was the one I was looking for, but they certainly seem much better than what I have got now! If I can't find the elusive one (think it had a slightly odd shaped handle to stop the sideways twist) I will certainly give them a try.

No-one else remember the thread I am referring to?!!!
confused.gif
grin.gif

Rana

Visit site
It looks really strange to me, I just can't imagine how you would use it lol. Can't wait to see what you make of it, will be very interested to hear your report
smile.gif