Mud Control Mats or Jelka Top Clean Mats

meesha

Visit site
Morning all

Trying to decide which if any mats to use!!

I need a walkway from the gate leading off the concrete yard, the horses have chosen a path round a corner instead of going straight out to the field.

I'm a bit worried that if they charge out off yard round corner and I have mats down they will slip (1 shod 1 unshod) ...I know you can top both with sand but as this is a walkway in the field the sand will just mix with mud!!

Pic of yard and gate onto field, they choose to go out then immediately left following building round the back !!

Any experiences/advice gratefully received

Attachments

• CCTV stables 2_live_1687000617767.jpg
    CCTV stables 2_live_1687000617767.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 39

twofatladies88

Visit site
What a lovely little set up! I have mud control mats but do use a lot of sand. I bought a few ton bags to top up this year - it is a decent size loafing area though and not a pathway. Ponies are also small and unshod.

Reactions: TPO

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
We like our mud control mats, haven't seen either of them slip on the mats but they don't wear shoes and our soil is very sandy. We intend to order some more to put down between the apron of the shelter and the field gateway that already has mats, because the soil turns to mud in the wet and I am in fear of losing my wellies there.

BBP

Visit site
All 4 of my (unshod) horses have fallen on the mud control mats when having a silly moment, so I am having to use way more sand than the basic amount. I’d probably like them more if my ponies weren’t so daft as in theory they are brilliant.

Reactions: TPO

Backtoblack

Visit site
ive had a quote from jelka be aware that they will keep pestering you about buying i keep getting emails and phone calls. have blocked them on the phone.

rabatsa

Confuddled
Visit site
I am on clay and used mud control slabs. I keep adding to them as and when I can afford some more. I have 4 unshod and one shod at the moment and no slipping. They do slip on the stable mats that I still have down from before the mud control slabs.

TPO

Visit site
I've got mud control too. They do the job brilliantly but are slippy. Mine are all barefoot and 3 out of the 4 horses I've had here have slipped. The sand gets washed away really easily and quickly here.

They are for the winter field so I've not topped up sand on them over summer and was surprised to see how slippy they are even in dry weather.

But yeah, they do the job in regards to keeping everyone out if the mud

I can't want for someone to make a cheaper, non slip version!

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
I have mud control mats pathways and debating wha to put in a gateway - it's the one where the neds will holler through if they feel so inclined (and they're meant to be retired!). All are bareffoot.

They've not slipped on the pathways, though I'm wary of putting them down in the gateway - the existing lot does have mud come up and grass grows through. I tried the sand - it all washed away.

Nicnac

Visit site
I have MC mats. I never put sand on them as placed down when it was muddy (am on clay). Now grass has grown through they're not slippy as shitland keeps the grass short through the holes. If a horse came up quickly and arsed about they would slip but they would also slip on mud 🤷‍♀️

I have one unshod, one shod in front and one shod all round.

meesha

Visit site
Thanks for all the replies, decisions, decisions ....

Waiting to have permanent muck heap put in so once I know the cost of that I will decide, everyone does seem to love the MC Mats!! They seem more tried and tested and I like the idea of grass growing through them ...prob more aesthetically pleasing than Jelka too !!

SEL

Visit site
MC mats if it's a level area. Jelka for sloping bits or on a curve.

Both can get a bit slippy when wet but mine know where they are and usually slow down. Baby cob has jumped the gateway ones before at full tilt - I couldn't watch!