Mud Daddy 12L

AppyLover1996

Visit site
Hi Guys,

So with spring and therefore show season rapidly approaching (my show-jumping circuit starts in t minus 2 weeks!), I'm in need of some advice!

I own a very beautiful Appaloosa cross who was a hippo in a past life (seriously - he wallows like one in the muddiest parts of the field!) and when searching for my next horse I categorically stated nothing with too much grey on as the cleaning can be a nightmare (so of course I end up with another Appaloosa who will eventually be predominantly grey!) - so I'm in need of some bathing tips and tricks 🤣

My livery yard is a wonderful and lovely place, however we are only allowed to use the water from the tanks for soaking feeds, wetting feeds, occasional washing of legs and medical purposes, which therefore leaves bathing out of the question (which is totally understandable - I dread to think of the water costs if we all bathed as and when we wanted - we're only a small yard but have quiet a few large horses and some wonderful cob types which of course come with mane, tail and feathers to make the hair shampoo adverts jealous!).

I've been looking at the Mud Daddy (12L capacity) which is marketed for horses and large groups of dogs - has anyone used one to bath a horse and how successful were you? I'm happy to put the elbow grease in and use hot water first to get most of the muckiness out of the coat, but for a more thorough second/third/fourth time wash (fellow grey and coloured owners will sympathise on the amount of times we have to wash!), I am after something that is quick and easy to use, and won't require much stopping and starting on my part, cause once my lad realises it's bath time, he can jive, samba and salsa to rival the pro's on Strictly Come Dancing!! I'm also attracted by the fact that it is quiet, has a decent amount of pressure and doesn't require electricity or gas to run.

Also any tips for shampoos etc are gratefully received - my pony does have sensitive skin so ideally something with good stain removing capability, but nice on the skin would be fab!

Fransurrey

Visit site
I only know of one person that had one for their dog and didn't find the pressure good enough. Depends how dirty they are I suppose.

My OH bought me a rechargeable pressure washer gun. It has a hose that feeds from whatever reservoir you want. Pressure ranges from v.light to quite heavy, so most horses would be fine with the light setting. I take a 20 L container with me to endurance rides and plonk the hose in that. It was perfect for after ride summer rinses, too!

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
Have a search for other threads on here about these, the reviews are a bit mixed but I have one and I think it is a total waste of time and money. The pressure is pathetic, and it isn't insulated so by the time you have brought hot water from home, it's cold anyway. Oh and the people at the company are not very pleasant to deal with.

Muddy unicorn

Visit site
Also not impressed with the mud daddy - the marketing is strong, the pressure is not ..

However I saw a fellow dog walker use a very impressive hot water washer thingy the other day - it was made by karcher and apparently if you google karcher dog wash you’ll find it (it’s not actually marketed as for dogs)

scats

Visit site
I’ve just started using my mud daddy to wash legs and tail. It’s not great to be honest. It basically trickles out. I have to also fill up a few buckets and a watering can to help get the worst of the suds out.

alexomahony

Visit site
I have one that lives in the trailer and comes with me to comps and clinics etc to wash off any sweat patches after riding... I put close to boiling water in it and store it with a thermatex around it and usually after a couple of hours it's a nice temperature to use to wash off - I got it second hand for a good price but to be honest, I wouldn't buy one new. As others have said, the pressure is a bit rubbish and you've got to do a fair bit of pumping to get enough water out of it!

I also think the brush bristles are a bit too harsh for some horses. For full washes, it's take you an age and the horse would become fustrated and cold by the time you finished.... you'd be better getting a large insulated container and buckets I'd think!

You could have a look at local bigger yards - there are more and more places offering spa and solarium type hires that you could use? xx

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I asked about them a while ago in the dogs section. The reviews were pretty bad!
I borrowed one first and decided I could live without it!
I did use it to wash liquid mud off a horses legs one day and it coped with that but I think it was so runny no pressure was really needed

CazD

Visit site
I use a Mobi washer on my dog. It holds 17 litres. I think they're mostly aimed at mountain bikes but it does a fab job on the dog lol. A friend has a Karcher one that she uses for her dog. It doesn't hold as much water tho so probably wouldn't be enough to do a horse, but it's great for the dog.