Mud Fever (already!) Cures??

flyingfeet

Visit site
I cannot believe it - not even winter and I am dealing with conjunctivitis, sweet itch and mud fever all at the same time.

So I am currently using Nettex surgical shampoo and Fungatrol

Is there anything that's really good for big crusty patches on the pastern? Or is it back to good old green Dermobion?

Visit site
Haven't found anything better than that toxic green sh1te!!
grin.gif
grin.gif

Chambon

www.picturetrail.com
Sulphur powder and glycerine or BP liquid, make up into a paste, slap it on, cover with plastic (not clingfilm, it crinkles up and pulls tight), bandage and leave on for 24 hours. Wash it off and the scabs should come off with it.

M

madabout2

I am feeding mudgard at the mo and so far so good!! But when it arrives I'll be in touch

eohippus

equi-librium.mysite.orange.co.uk
sudocream slapped on everytime he goes out. it acts as a good barrier and it softens the scabs and they come off really easily without having to use water, that can, I find, add to the problem, unless you can dry the legs completely.
hope this helps
Dawn

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I always library apply vasaline to heals at this time of year. White heals are so suseptible (sp) to cracking in the heavy autumn dew's.

Triskar

Visit site
zinc & castor oil cream from the chemist (it's used for nappy rash) Wash and carefully dry (use a hairdryer) every day and reapply until all scabby bits gone, then get an empty washing up liquid bottle full of the cheapest vegetable oil you can find (I use Lidl's) and liberally oil any areas where he gets mud fever prior to turning out. Either wash off all mud when he comes in (if on that horrible clay that dries on the outside but stays wet on the inside), or keep him in a deep straw bed so that he dries when he comes in, then brush off the mud and re-oil before turn out. I use to keep my horses in deep Essex clay, and this regime worked a treat.

flyingfeet

Visit site
Odd thing is that we are on limestone brash and we've got hardly any mud!

I cannot bring him in to dry it out, as he cannot be stabled until he is less itchy (otherwise rubs himself raw)

I might try a plastic wrap tonight to help get the scabs off. I have been merrily picking them off, but I don't think he appreciates it much!

vicm2509

Visit site
When I bought my horse last year his mud fever was bad, not the worst ive seen but it needed quite a bit of attention.

So I bought this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Anti-Bacterial-Ski...1QQcmdZViewItem

It quickly cleared the scabs. As soon as the scabs were gone I applied a waterproof barrier cream, sudocrem is good.

This year I have bought this
http://www.robinsons-uk.com/products/Productdetail.asp?ProductCode=61229

It says its a waterproof barrier and should be applied twice a week. It feels quite oily but I have started to apply it already in the hope that it will prevent the mud fever, so far no scabs, but saying that it is only early days. I was looking into getting some of those equi-chaps but our field is so muddy that I would need at least two sets and would have to wash and dry them every day. So decided against it.

flyingfeet

Visit site
Hey I just got some of that!

I wrapped it tonight with barrier lavender skin wash and sudocream. I then cling filmed and vet wrapped this whilst I rode him. After the ride (about hour and a half later) could easily clean off all scabs to leave smooth skin, I then cheated and applied a good layer of Dermobion.

Hoping that should see it off - does anyone use pastern wraps to prevent mud fever???

Salcey

Visit site
Udder cream very popular for mud fever gold label and equimins do really good priced ones. I decided to give it a try as many people were buying it and it works really well on my chesnut mare

ema76

Visit site
try malaseb dog shampoo it kills the sporse and helps the healing process or get some stuff that they use for cows for chapped udders once you have got the area dry
sorry i have forgot the name of it but it works really well and not to expencive
smile.gif
smile.gif