Mud fever already - what works?

MagicMelon

Visit site
My mare is basically white (faded coloured) with pink skin which probably makes her more susceptible. She's been fine all summer but in the last week she's started getting the dreaded scabs forming again on two heels. Weirdly the field isn't even muddy and they often stand about a lot on my hardcore yard to eat hay so she's not standing about in wet mud at all! Her heels were totally clean when I brought her in for a groom earlier! So what works to help keep mud fever at bay? I've got turnout boots but she lives out 24/7 so I can't leave them on all the time. Last winter I had tried putting on turmeric mixed in with sudocrem, sudocrem on its own and purple aloe vera spray but none of it kept it away - I just washed them every second or third day with tea tree shampoo (as I know you're not meant to get them too wet). Right now I'm cleaning them gently and putting loads of vaseline on them to try and repel wet/mud.

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
Give them one goos scrub and dry them completely then get some zinc and castor oil cream or a big pot of farmers udder cream and lather it on. Don't wash the legs unless showing or going to a party. Vet gave me this advice after Kia contracted lymphocystic vasculitis on all his white bits face and legs!! Wasn't pretty.

This has kept him free from even the smallest scab for three years.

Polos Mum

Visit site
My understanding is it's not caused by mud at all (which is why it's come back even though no mud) it's a bacteria in the mud/ soil/ dewy grass that cause the infection - some fields seem to be more infested with the bacteria than others. IMHO my top tips are
1) never wash off - unless you're going to HOYS - water weakens the skins natural defences so the bacteria can get in
2) a good mix of cow salve and udder cream (cheep as chips so you can really layer it on - it simply helps create a barrier between the skin and bacteria - you can get some nice udder cream with tea tree oil in which Im sure helps a bit too
3) nasty infections need anti biotics

sport horse

Visit site
Are you absolutely sure it is mud fever? I have mites on one or two of my youngsters that are out 24/7 and it looks very similar indeed but needs different treatment.

Scarlett

Visit site
Neem oil. Brush mud off legs, apply liberally. I've never needed more than 2 applications to sort it out. I then apply once or twice a week as a preventative measure. Kept mine mud fever free all last winter when out 24/7 in biblical mud. Only mud fever I saw was the first bout where I started using neem and then a patch on super sensitive horses cannons above the area I was applying neem to weekly.

kit279

Visit site
My mud fever routine is well-established having a chestnut with one white leg that religiously gets it every year (for the last 10 years!) and it is really awful when he gets it as it is very sore for him and we end up very grumpy with each other - him because his leg hurts and I am prodding it, me because I am trying to make it better and he will not let me!

The absolute best thing I have found is the Dodson & Horrell Mud Heal herb mix. Being very sceptical in the first instance, I now rave about the stuff as it cleared intractable mud fever within a few days. When he does go down with mudfever, I poultice the scabs overnight with a hot Animalintex poultice, then the next day I scrub with Nizoral and get rid of any many scabs as I can. I dry his leg off as much as possible, then put Flamazine and some Betnovate (steroid) cream on the affected area, cover with cling film and vetwrap/bandage overnight. The next day, most of the cream has been absorbed and I let the leg air off. At this point, I usually hit the internet to buy additional D&H Mud Heal herbs and then it's sorted.

This is what works for me and for the horse!

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
Tried everything over the years. Best thing by far is Nettex Muddy Marvel cream.
Clean legs if they're mucky. If really scabby I wash with dilute hibiscrub first, rinse well and let it dry then cover with muddy marvel. Ime I only needed to do the wash once as MM healed it up quickly. Put it on daily while scabs are bad then toe or three times a week to keep it at bay.
Brilliant stuff.

Liane

Visit site
To keep it at bay on my horses (both white legs) I brush mud off and then cover with baby oil twice a week, it seems to be enough to stop them getting it.

maccachic

Visit site
Ill bet my last dollar there is a deficiency / excess somewhere in your diet - not point treating the symptoms. When something important is missing / in excess if lowers the immunity and you get rain scald/mud fever etc. Start with an as fed analysis and see what it comes out with.

Ive solved these numerous times in new horses who arrive with them and never had them on mine with a balanced diet.

Auslander

Visit site
Ill bet my last dollar there is a deficiency / excess somewhere in your diet - not point treating the symptoms. When something important is missing / in excess if lowers the immunity and you get rain scald/mud fever etc. Start with an as fed analysis and see what it comes out with.

Ive solved these numerous times in new horses who arrive with them and never had them on mine with a balanced diet.

Agree. I had long discussions with my vet about Alfs ongoing battles with mud fever, and we're addressing it from the inside out.Making sure his diet is high in good quality protein has made a significant difference to his skin health. i've also had his supplement twweaked to include a broad spec vit and min mix, and some detox ingredients, so we start off the winter with him in really good shape. I'm also using the Arc Equine every second day (his mud fever disappeared almost overnight when I first started using it) and have pig oil on standby just in case. Mine are out all winter on 8 acres, and I shall be moving them from paddock to paddock every week to minimise poaching/mud

MagicMelon

Visit site
Are you absolutely sure it is mud fever? I have mites on one or two of my youngsters that are out 24/7 and it looks very similar indeed but needs different treatment.

She has no feathers (she's anglo arab basically) and they were fine all summer but the scabs were here last winter and starting again now hence I figure it must be mud fever?

My understanding is it's not caused by mud at all (which is why it's come back even though no mud) it's a bacteria in the mud/ soil/ dewy grass that cause the infection - some fields seem to be more infested with the bacteria than others.

Thing is, no other horses have had issues (and I've had 2 other grey horses on it). Although perhaps some are more prone than others.

Interesting some of you have mentioned diet - I'll look into that. She's a good doer so has just been on A&P Fast Fibre all summer and I've just started adding turmeric (with pepper & oil), out 24/7 with permanent access to open stables and now getting hay as well.

thatsmygirl

Visit site
I also agree with getting the diet sorted but honestly treat with " muddy buddy cure cream" it's about £16 a small pot but it is magic stuff and works within no time, it contains silver icons and is the only stuff I would use for mud fever but again since putting equimins advance complete in their diet iv had no more problems

Leo Walker

Visit site
Getting the zinc and copper right in the diet helps no end with mud fever and skin problems. You can either get your grazng and forage analsed or feed a mineral balancer, progressive earth, forage plus and equivita are the 3 I know of that do no iron balancers designed to balance "average" grazing in the UK :)

Char0901

Visit site
Pig oil worked wonders for my yearling!
This year, although his field isn't at all muddy, it's dewy in the morning, I put pig oil on for prevention. I use it in a spray bottle, apply maybe twice a week. I check them constantly! Remember to patch test first :)

fuzzle

Visit site
Diet is very important also best product i use is COW SLAVE, its what is used to treat cow udders when there cracked and sore from milking. a big tub lasts for ages!!! rub on to DRY legs and it will last for days and protect the horses legs from water and mud!! its a bit like vas aline, also contains antiseptic cream so helps with scratches and scabs etc xxxxx

**Connemara**

New User
jennywithington.wix.com
Biteback for horses Mudbar cream is outstanding!! Cannot recommend it highly enough, cleared up all traces of mud fever from our two within 3 weeks. It is a simple cream that you put on and you can get different strengths -MudbarPlus being the strongest, fastest acting (and most expensive!) one.

applecart14

Visit site
in the 'olden days' we used to use lard and flowers of sulphur from the garden centre, mix the concoction together, paste on legs and this will prevent mud fever and sooth skin at the same time.

Or use Keratex mud shield powder - much cleaner! :)