Mud fever and snotty nose

EP2504

Visit site
Hiya,
I'm not really sure where to start I'm just looking for a bit of advice.
I've just bought my first horse after loaning for many years and as she's my first I think I'm being a bit pedantic but I'd like some advice anyway!

She's got what looks to be slight mud fever on her right hind and I was wondering how best to treat it. The yard she's kept doesn't have the best turnout and whatever there is, the gateways are always muddy and wet so she's constantly stepping in it. When I bring her in from the field I hose her feet off so I know there's no mud left on then. I'm going to buy some mud fever powder in the hopes of preventing this in the future but how am I best to treat it now? It's only very slight and on one leg but I don't want it getting worse.

She also had quite a snotty nose. It's not dripping, only a little bit snotty from both nostrils, again, it's probably me being a pedantic first time owner, but is there anything I can do to help her? She's in at night on a good straw bed and fed on haylage. If she had a cough I'd be sure it was dust from the straw, but the straw is good quality and she's not coughing.

She's a 4 year old Thoroughbred.

Thanks!

Kat

Visit site
Regarding the snotty nose, take her temperature and if it is raised call the vet. This is important, not just for your horse but for the health of others on your yard.

Micky

Visit site
i'dlet her feet dry naturally overnight in straw bed, brush off next day and pig oil and sulphur them...but def get a temp taken, what colour is the snot?