Mud Fever - any advice please (Also in Veterinary)

shelly018

Visit site
I've been lucky enough never to have a horse suffer from this - until now!

I got my chap in May (coloured cob x w/blood). He has lived out 24/7 for the past 2 years and has had all his feathers etc clipped off. Previous loanee said he had had a bit of mud fever last winter, but nothing bad.

I noticed about 2 weeks ago that he had a scabs in in off fore and hind, but the other two legs were fine. I massaged sudacream into them and the scabs fell off and all was well. However, over the last week they have come back. I bought some cream from saddlery (can't think of the name now, but friend swears by it) and massaged it in in a circular motion and the scabs fell off easily, so was hoping all was going well.

However, have gone down tonight and his fore leg between the heal and the fetlock looks swollen, although no real heat. I have kept the legs dry, brushed off any mud and not washed them at all. So, I presume the next stage, is to bring him in overnight and keep treating it the same way??

Advice please!!!

Mid

www.just-dreaming.webs.com
medicated nappy cream works wonders.

also, i was told by vet (my horse is a rescue and has the worst mud fever i've ever seen) to leave feathers on over winter. he's a lightweight type though, so doesn't have a lot of feather...

flyingfeet

Visit site
Erm its a slightly dodgy product

The licence on dermobion ran out in this country and Ireland, so you can no longer buy it (even at £40 per tube it wasn't economical for pharmaceutical to renew!). Dermapred is the Australian formulation that you shouldn't technically be able to import.

However it is still legal to hold old tubes of dermobion

Its worth talking to your vet - its an antibacterial, steriod cream that heals wounds very well too.

Using ointments for athletes foot (yes I know its a fungi, but most products are also antibaterial) has had some success, but nothing like the effectiveness of the green stuff.

checkmate1

Visit site
I know alot of people say you shouldnt, but with my last horse I found washing her legs everyday with cold water and removing all the mud and allowing them to dry, (she lived out 24/7, but had concrete hard standing and a shelter) stopped any mud fever she normally got on her one white foot. This appears to be working with my new horse whos a coloured and has got 4 white legs and living out 24/7 at present, but she does get it really bad so I dont know what will happen when the weather gets V.bad, but I will bring her in at night then anyway! I also use sudocream when theres little patches and it always disapears again. Hope this helps

shelly018

Visit site
Thanks guys, so the bringing in route seems to be the one to take - was hoping to keep him out a bit longer but needs must.

Has anyone had any experience with these turnout boots - although I suppose I'll have to get rid of it before I use them?

Guinness

Visit site
We have had a few at work with it this year and someone told us to try liquid paraffin (we just paint it on with a brush) and it seems to be working really well. It is oily so forms a waterproof layer on the skin which not only stops the mud sticking but also dries out the scabs and after a couple of days they should just rub off. Also, mixing it with grape seed oil is meant to help the hair grow back quicker but Im not convinced about that one!
In terms of feathers-I have always left my horses feathers on-they are there for a reason, and even in the muddiest fields if you part the feathers they are perfectly clean at the skin (never had a problem with mudfever). However if your horse has already got it then its easier to treat with no feathers. I wouldnt bother with turnout chaps or whatever they are-they would probably just trap dirt underneath and provide a nice warm damp environment for bacteria to thrive in!

wizzi901

www.pony4u.co.uk
dont keep washing them it only spreads the bacteria!!! - drying is fine tho!

I have just started using Aromaheel having taken a horse on that came with cracked heels from existing mud fever LAST YEAR, queens vet gave some cream, made no difference! - bought a tub of this stuff (see link) and its made a huge difference in a week! with horse still being turned out in muddy field....100% money back guarantee as well, and no I dont work for them!!

LOL!!

http://www.aromesse.com/pages/aromaheel.php

PS turnout boots etc also make it nice and warm and wet for bacteria to breed, not a route I would go down again!

JM07

Visit site
DONT be tempted to pick the scabs.

wash daily in warm water and hibi-scrub, then massage well with "cow udder salve"...repeat daily until problem resolved...

shelly018

Visit site
Have resisted temptation to pick as I am the worlds biggest picker!!

Have just gently massaged the cream in so any loose scabs have come off. Off to Boots tommorow then for lots of nappy cream!

JM07

Visit site
nappy cream wont help...it acts as a barrier...so the infection will stay under the cream, and making things worse

you need an udder salve, which allows the skin to breathe, but still protects from water.

costs about 15 quid for a very large tub..cheaper than cream from the vet.......

JM07

Visit site
yep...they sell the anti bacterial/antiseptic one.....just ask if you cant find it.
grin.gif