mud fever nose!

parsley

Visit site
I thought my son's pony had sunburn on his nose - as did the instructor until I moaned that he hadn't had anything all through the summer - she has suggested mud fever. I put some Dermioban on today and some udder cream tonight. The trouble is that he rushed straight out into the field and rubbed it all off onto the grass. The cuts look quite red and sore. How long should they take to clear up? I have only ever seen it on his heels in winter and then it was dry scabs.

Visit site
My horse had it exactly like that, I think that it was an allergic reaction. It took about a week to clear off his nose but then spread to his heels. He also had swollen legs.

I gave him some penicillin and flushed him out with salts. He was competing 2 weeks later.

Good Luck

parsley

Visit site
hmmmm

now I am worried as he also has a little round patch on the side of his front foot - I don't think it looks like mudfever.

There are a lot of buttercups in the field - could it be those?

Visit site
Well when I posted about it a lot of people suggested buttercups.

It looked like REALLy bad sunburn all over the pink skin. I would get him checked out. Just out of interest was he a bit lethargic and/or irritable in the weeks leading up to the scabs???

parsley

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
was he a bit lethargic and/or irritable in the weeks leading up to the scabs???

[/ QUOTE ]

Sadly that just about sums him up full stop
shocked.gif
I have started him on a calmer a few weeks ago so his behaviour has been a lot better. I could ask the liver owner if I could move fields - the grass is running down in theirs anyway.

jackscrag

Visit site
3 horses in the field are like this inc mine i put zinc and castor oil cream on from asdas (in the baby section
blush.gif
) and it has cleared up fine it sticks like glue to nose, but if yours is rubbing nose it looks like irritation hence like you say and allergic reaction
jackie

parsley

Visit site
I do feel a bit guilty - I have been briskly rubbing suncream on it every day and telling him off for being a baby and making a big fuss...
blush.gif

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
We have a few liveries here who suffer from this, it's photo sensitivity combined with something in the grass. use sunblock and it will eventually disappear. Even if he rubs it off if you apply it half an hour before turning out it will stay on the skin.