Mud fever..... or not??

indie1282

Visit site
Each year my grey gets a bit scabby on his back heels. Our fields are not muddy but we do have good grass and he seems to get this from the wet grass.

I usually put Heel to Hoof on for 3 or 4 days then rub off scabs easily with a towel and its gone but this time that doesn't seem to have worked.

I did the same and washed his legs last weekend in baby shampoo and got all the scabs off. He skin underneath was pink but OK looking. I put some Sudocreme on left him in overnight and put the H2H on the next day but they seem to have scabbed over again and look like they are almost like cuts in his heels.

The scabs were also a bit yellow and crusty but the leg is not swollen or any heat/lameness.

Any ideas or tips on how to treat it? Pics below ( there is H2H on which is why they look a bit gunky )20201125_125544_copy_800x389.jpg20201125_125558_copy_800x389.jpg

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
I have had very good results with the Lincoln Muddy Buddy range of products for mud fever. They have a wash, cream and powder all of which have worked really well on both of my ponies and have cleared the scabs up within a week.

EllenJay

Visit site
Definitely mud fever. Personally I would keep him in for a few days to let the healing begin and then use the Lincoln mud buddy products. Quite early in the season, so would treat aggressively now so it's under control for the next few months.

Roxylola

Visit site
I've just stopped supercob's sugarbeet hes been on it a week and had a huge mallanders flare up. While I agree it is mud fever, it might be worth looking at feed as well especially if its not healing

indie1282

Visit site
Thanks for the replies. Funnily enough he doesn't get it when its actually muddy, its more when the grass is wet.

Feedwise he just has some Fast Fibre as a good doer on good grazing.

EllenJay

Visit site
Mud fever is a bit of a misnomer - it doesn't actually relate to the amount of mud but is (I think) a virus. Sometimes long damp grass, which keeps their legs damp, let's in the virus, and other times the actual mud provides a sort of barrier against the virus. Once the show signs of mud fever it is a bugger to get rid. All the approved methods are to keep the legs clean, but washing opens the pores which let in the virus. The best methods to deal with are to keep the legs dry, clean and warm. Once you have cleared it, apply a barrier against re-infection. The best options I have found is on non-affected skin apply pig oil. Keeps the moisture out but allows the skin to breath. On affected skin, keep away from the virus, ie keep in if possible, until the skin recovers.

L&M

Visit site
I have had very good results with the Lincoln Muddy Buddy range of products for mud fever. They have a wash, cream and powder all of which have worked really well on both of my ponies and have cleared the scabs up within a week.

Another vote for the Lincoln products - the cream works well on my white haired cob, who also gets mud fever more from wet grass than actual mud.

Defo mud fever from those pictures....

Northern

Visit site
Mud fever is a bit of a misnomer - it doesn't actually relate to the amount of mud but is (I think) a virus. Sometimes long damp grass, which keeps their legs damp, let's in the virus, and other times the actual mud provides a sort of barrier against the virus. Once the show signs of mud fever it is a bugger to get rid. All the approved methods are to keep the legs clean, but washing opens the pores which let in the virus. The best methods to deal with are to keep the legs dry, clean and warm. Once you have cleared it, apply a barrier against re-infection. The best options I have found is on non-affected skin apply pig oil. Keeps the moisture out but allows the skin to breath. On affected skin, keep away from the virus, ie keep in if possible, until the skin recovers.

Mud fever is mostly bacterial, not viral. Can sometimes be caused by fungal infections as well.

OP, it's somewhat difficult to treat. But generally regular washing with medicated shampoo, drying thoroughly and applying a barrier cream (which also softens the scabs) is the standard treatment. Plus if you can, keep him off the long and damp grass. I'm not sure what barrier creams are available over there, but Sudocreme has been used with success. Flamazine (silver sulfadiazine) is also worth a try. Prevention includes using mud boots or "socks" in weather where the legs are apt to get damp and/or muddy.

ETA: keep an eye on it, sometimes they develop cellulitis from these scabs. A vet job if the legs swell up, become hot or he becomes sore on them.

vam

Visit site
Mine gets more affected by water than mud, shes like the wicked witch of the west, melts with water. So i don't wash her legs, if I do I makes sure they are towel dried and then have leg wraps on over night or until completely dry.
I use udder cream, I've found it helps keep her skin soft and protected and helps heal anything already there, if i need something more substantial I'll use a bit of sudocreme. I find not washing her legs more effective than using a barrier cream.
It will take time thou, I'm not keen on taking scabs off, more keeping them soft so they don't crack and get worse. They tend to come off when they are ready but to be honest different things work for different horses and conditions so you might have to try a few different things to find what really helps.

indie1282

Visit site
Mud fever is mostly bacterial, not viral. Can sometimes be caused by fungal infections as well.

OP, it's somewhat difficult to treat. But generally regular washing with medicated shampoo, drying thoroughly and applying a barrier cream (which also softens the scabs) is the standard treatment. Plus if you can, keep him off the long and damp grass. I'm not sure what barrier creams are available over there, but Sudocreme has been used with success. Flamazine (silver sulfadiazine) is also worth a try. Prevention includes using mud boots or "socks" in weather where the legs are apt to get damp and/or muddy.

ETA: keep an eye on it, sometimes they develop cellulitis from these scabs. A vet job if the legs swell up, become hot or he becomes sore on them.

See i don't wash legs normally as I find that makes it worse. He also lives out 24/7 do would be difficult to properly dry them.

He is not hot or swollen and I am keeping a close eye on that as I already have cellulitis in the back of mind potentially.

He didnt actually get any last year but has done most years before and I have stopped it in its tracks with Heel to Hoof but it doesn't seem to have done the trick this time. Maybe time for a change of product!

indie1282

Visit site
Also a lot of votes for the Muddy Buddy. Which one do you use? There seems to be one with silver which is quite expensive or an ointment for around a tenner??

Polos Mum

Visit site
Mud fever - as above it nothing to do with mud. It's a bacterial infection (the bacterial need wet skin which is weaker to invade and cause problems).

Unless you can really thoroughly dry then avoid washing - it will only make the bacteria happier.

Lots of good suggestions - they are really all different sorts of barrier to stop the bacteria getting at the skin. Udder cream I have used mixed with Cow salve to great erffect - much cheaper than anything with 'horse' in the title.

Some horses are more susceptible and some fields carry a higher concentration of bacteria in the soil.
Also anything that reduces the horses immune response could impact - so that is why feed/ other issues - can cause a flare up.

Treat the scabs that are there with some intensive treatment - then think longer term about prevention that works for your circumstances.

seaofdreams

Visit site
My boy gets something very similar on both his hind feet, on his pink skinned socks.
I have now worked out (I think!) it's actually from them being wet (long grass, dew on the ground etc) and then the sun burns the pink skin. I then end up struggling all winter to clear it.

This year from July(ish) I covered his socks with a mix of Silver whinnys sox and PE fly boots and touch wood we are clear so far and he lives out in a very muddy and wet field currently.

I have now removed the boots as his winter coat (and the mud!) gives the socks enough protection from the sun (when it does come out!).

Edited to add last year when they looked very similar, after trying so many creams etc including one from the vet, I purchased the Silver Whinnys sox and I have to say they did work and cleared up.

Northern

Visit site
See i don't wash legs normally as I find that makes it worse. He also lives out 24/7 do would be difficult to properly dry them.

He is not hot or swollen and I am keeping a close eye on that as I already have cellulitis in the back of mind potentially.

He didnt actually get any last year but has done most years before and I have stopped it in its tracks with Heel to Hoof but it doesn't seem to have done the trick this time. Maybe time for a change of product!

You need to wash with medicated shampoo, anything else is a waste of time and can make things worse. We usually use Malaseb.

L&M

Visit site
Also a lot of votes for the Muddy Buddy. Which one do you use? There seems to be one with silver which is quite expensive or an ointment for around a tenner??

I use the cheaper one - when he had it bad I used the wash first. On small patches I just slather the cream on....