Mud fever prevention

sarahlowe

www.saumort.com
Does anyone know of anything I can feed to my horse to prevent mud fever? I don't mean a feed supplement like 'Mud Guard' as I can't get that here in France - I was thinking more of something I could make myself or buy from the 'health food shop'!!!
Many thanks again!

kerilli

Visit site
oops, not a feed, but a topical application:
post a question about pig oil and sulphur, i think that's the wondermixture to coat their legs in to prevent it. TheresaF (i think that's her initial) is a guru of it, has a very detailed PM message ready to send to interested parties. pig oil is like baby oil without the perfume, i think, available online etc. heavyhorsesupplies.co.uk is one place to buy both ingredients.

YorkshireLass

Visit site
no need to feed anything! Pig oil (or baby oil) and sulphur keeps it at bay. You can get Sulphur from garden or agri suppliers. People use itto keep mould off bulbs and greenhouses. It is an old horsemans remedy/preventative... dirt cheap & WORKS.

You mix it up to the consistancy of thin custard and paint it on the legs every 2 weeks or so.

Horses that are lacking in vits and minerals are more prone to suffer, so make sure that base is coverd.

mud fever is something that happens to the horse from the outside, so a barrier stopping the organism getting to the skin in the first place is the only real preventative.

Theresa_F

Visit site
Yep, pig oil and sulphur is as good as anything and cheaper. Sulphur is great for skin problems and pig oil will provide an oily barrier.

I use it on my haires to keep their feather in good condition and mite free.

For those not blessed with feather, get legs nice and clean and dry and paint on the P&S. Oil will also make mud slip off as it dries easily.

Worked very well on an arab on our yard - first time ever she didn't get mud fever.

I do a long detailed PM on the wonderful subject if you want a copy, PM me.

JenHunt

Visit site
i'd say pig oil and sulphur, or if you can get it over there try stalosan f powder (a pink disinfectant powder) it can be rubbed straight onto the skin/coat to help kill the bacteria and fungi that cause mud fever.

stalosan is a dutch product, so you should be able to get it i think.

happihorse

Visit site
You could try that cream that they use for babies bottoms - Zinc and Castor Oil I think - it is supposed to be good for preventing mud fever.

Surely you can order things like 'Mud Guard' from UK mail order companies and have them shipped to France, can't you?

sarahlowe

www.saumort.com
Thanks taking the time to reply.
I have two young boys so nappy rash cream is a good option for me!! And one I am currently using. The horse in question is an ex Cadre Noir horse who has lived in a stable for 17 years and has four white socks!! He has now retired to horsey heaven here with me but I was hoping to strengthen his skin from the inside aswell as he is certain to get mud fever this Winter. As for mail order - yes it is, of course, an option but delivery is very expensive and I was just wondering if there were any alternatives......

JACQSZOO

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Yep, pig oil and sulphur is as good as anything and cheaper. Sulphur is great for skin problems and pig oil will provide an oily barrier.

I use it on my haires to keep their feather in good condition and mite free.

For those not blessed with feather, get legs nice and clean and dry and paint on the P&S. Oil will also make mud slip off as it dries easily.

Worked very well on an arab on our yard - first time ever she didn't get mud fever.

I do a long detailed PM on the wonderful subject if you want a copy, PM me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Could you pm me too please. Thank you

Cop-Pop

Visit site
Sudocrem is very good - so is udder cream for cows
smile.gif