mud fever/ rain scald on the belly?

JenHunt

Visit site
Ron's coat is really odd this year - normally I get away with clipping him twice, perhaps 3 times a winter. I've just clipped him the second time, less than a month after the first one!!:eek::eek:

could this be from feeding linseed this year? or is it the weather?

when I came to clipping his belly there's a patch on either side, about the size of a dinner plate, and about halfway between front and back legs (if you understand me!) that is sort of greasy/bumpy yukiness. It felt initially like it was pieces of mud/grit in the coat, but on closer inspection it was definitely greasy, with little bumps in the skin and almost scabs forming in places. He's always sensitive on his belly and hates it being brushed, but he's no worse than normal.
For now i've hibiscrubbed it and dried it thoroughly.

is this mud fever or rain scald or something else? and do I pig oil and sulphur it up?

Ladylina83

Visit site
that sounds a bit horrid :-(

I'd do like you and Hibiscrub then my fave cheapo zinc and magnesium cream which seams to heal all ills

Suziq77

Visit site
I'm the same - clipped both mine on 5 November and they both look like fluffballs again already :eek: They are both fine coated (TB and WB) and usually get done once late Oct/early Nov and once end of Jan/early Feb.

I'd also be thinking the same as you re mud fever on the belly. The ground out hunting is filthy this year :(

JenHunt

Visit site
I'd also be thinking the same as you re mud fever on the belly. The ground out hunting is filthy this year :(

tell me about it! we had a shortened day due to thick fog on saturday, were called off Tuesday, and OH and I have decided not to go saturday coming (if they are even going) to avoid risking legs/shoes in deep mud! never in 20 years have I seen ground this wet for this long round here! revolting!

Suziq77

Visit site
tell me about it! we had a shortened day due to thick fog on saturday, were called off Tuesday, and OH and I have decided not to go saturday coming (if they are even going) to avoid risking legs/shoes in deep mud! never in 20 years have I seen ground this wet for this long round here! revolting!

It's such a shame isn't it - quite a few of our meets have been cancelled (totally understand the farmers not wanting us wrecking their ground/the masters not wanting to risk horses) and I'm not going to take my mare out again until things dry up a bit as even taking it very steady I don't feel it's fair to go out when I know it will most likely give her mud fever :( I normally try to get most of my days in before Christmas too as I work for a plc so I hardly get time to ride in Jan and Feb :(:(:(:(

Still, I suppose at least this makes the strange situation of needing a second clip so soon a bit less of an issue:rolleyes:

travelmad

Visit site
Is it itchy? If you give it a scratch does he like it? In which case maybe mange. Easy to treat with invermectin... Vet had a laugh with me while I rubbed a wormer onto belly of an old horse! You can just inject invermectin too!

Lollii

Visit site
Try good old sudocream .... prevents & cures mud fever and everything else I have used it on (even a sarcoid!) ... it is the 'wonder cream'!!

Sounds like a mud rash to me :(

My horse lost two shoes in the mud out hunting this weekend ... blimin stuff!