Mud Fever - recommendations on what to do!

emfen1305

Visit site
I was popping some cream on my lad's heels this morning and noticed his back right felt like it had ridges on it rather than being flat like the others (i hope that makes sense!) It's not scabby or bleeding, no pus or heat and he doesn't seem bothered about me poking around unless I prod a bit too hard. He's not lame at all but I thought his fetlock looked a bit swollen but his legs have gone fluffy so can't tell for sure! I don't really know where to go next, I've been popping Equimins cream on his legs for a few weeks as a preventative as he's had a touch of dry scabby skin in the past but clearly this hasn't worked so looking for recommendations of what to do next - will it definitely go sore and scabby or is there something I can do to keep it under control? What's the best treatment? His field is more wet than it is muddy.. Any help much appreciated, I have seen horror stories of mud fever!

texel

Visit site
I suggest you call the vet to check it all out, the swelling could be the start of cellulitis or something similar and you really want to nip any infection in the bud. You don't want to end up with an infection in the lymph nodes.

emfen1305

Visit site
I'll have another look at him tomorrow, it didn't look any more swollen than the other 3 legs so either all 4 are swollen or I am going mad! I'll call the vet for advice on Monday, thanks!

texel

Visit site
I just don't want you to end up battling with a chronic skin issue, which I have been doing with my mare - which is a long shaggy dog story, maybe I will post photos sometime. But if you feel ridges and you think the fetlock is swollen even if very slightly trouble may be brewing in the lymph vessels. Keep us posted. all the best x

emfen1305

Visit site
Sorry to hear that! I'll have another look tomorrow and call the vet first thing on Monday if I'm still not convinced! Thanks :)