Mud fever treatment

Natasha Klarwill

New User
Visit site
This is just some general information based on my own experience of successfully treating my own horses mud fever. A recent article published on the "horse and hound" website explains that mud fever is caused by a fungi that naturally lives on the horses or hosts skins. When the the skin is broken or has cracks or abrasions or is affected by dermatitis this fungi can cause a reaction and inflammation hence mud fever. I have treated this condition in my horse by dissolving approximately 2-3 teaspoons of copper(blustone) in 100 ml of water and bathing the affected area (clean first and dry)or easier to put copper solution in a spray bottle. You can make the copper solution stronger if you wish. This has an immediate effect and I have observed the mud fever just about disappearing over 24 hour period. I have also fed copper about a pinch or two with desert spoon of dolomite never by itself in usual feed once or twice a week. As explained in Jenny Patterson's Calm Healthy Horses , horse feeding guide . Once you apply copper spray good idea to try to keep horse out of mud while healing or apply light bandage ...

Last edited:

cellie

Visit site
I find muddy marvel by nex tex works well I wonder if it has copper in it . It also cleared up thrush when we went barefoot .