MUD FEVER - Whats worked for you?

sassyequine

Visit site
As the rain continues we are not far away from dreaded mud fever. My 4 year old mare suffered so badly last year inspite of everything we tried, she ended up on steroids for 4 months and in a terrible way. We were able to keep her in and use our walker. However the challenge this year is that she is off with a long term injury that means she has to be turned out every day as she is not able to go on the walker or be ridden. So I am interested in what worked for you last year? I am not looking for instructions on washing, drying and barrier creaming as all of this is common sense! Im curious about any of the newer ideas Did anyone use the mud socks? Did anyone use any of the newer creams or barriers?

bensababy

Visit site
As a protection i always covered my boys legs in sudocream before he went out. Worked a treat, and touch wood, hes never had it since ive started using it.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I am using udder salve this year and am applying it libraly allready. I failed miserably too last year, and my poor lad also suffered.

Really don't fancy the idea of turnout socks.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Me neither, I cannot see how the mud doesnt get underneath. Im having trouble getting udder salve this year so will resort to online.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you tried your local agricultural dealers - I've got a massive pot of the stuff from mine.

Jingleballs

Visit site
Pig oil and sulpher!!

My HW cob had really bad mud fever when I bought him but it cleared up really quickly with this and regular applications keep it at bay!

keekee

Visit site
If u see the first signs eg small scabs pick off and hibby scrub sounds silly but bandage nappies in to heels and legs if nes lather in flamizine befour turning out and apply mud socks they have worked for me and do this futile task each eve my girl recovered quickly and has stayed ok since x

fatpiggy

Visit site
Best thing I've ever found is clean, hibiscrubbed legs, completely dried, then bung on a generous amount of Keratex mud fever powder and cover the whole lot with a good handful of udder cream. If you wipe the excess cream off your fingers through the tail it also acts as a brilliant conditioner and keeps the tail knot-free with absolutely no greasiness. It also softens your hands nicely!!

Rana

Visit site
I've found NAF Mudguard works well as a preventative measure (but doesn't really help to clear it once it's there). I also use Barrier Animal's Heel to Hoof cream to soften any scabs (along with the usual hibiscrub, keep clean and dry etc).

Vet gave me Fuciderm, which didn't work one little bit. Bring back Dermobion! That stuff was fab for mudfever.

Ladyfresha1

Visit site
I used to feed my little pony onions. Might sound strange but we didn't give them to him one year and he got mud fever. Went back to feeding the onions and he never had it again. Now someone tell me I was poisoning him?

scotsmare

www.creativewritingforaliving.co.uk
We have WB mare who has four white stockings and is really prone to it. We feed her NAF mudguard every day and use equilibrium turnout boots. The mud might get under a tiny bit but so long as you're not turning them out into a bog then they generally do the job they're meant to.

nickylou

Visit site
mark todd epi-heel worked wonders on our pony,although if someone can suggest how to apply it without needing to twitch the poor soul I'd be grateful.

Nookster

Visit site
I had mud fever with my old horse but never severely and I always used to keep it under control with MFP – udder cream etc.

I then bought my current horse – coloured all white legs. A month into winter and his legs were horrendous. Looked like I had skinned his legs. Anti bitotics and vet calmed it down etc but as soon as back out it all start over again.

I tried hibiscrub, keratex, equilibrium turn out boots, Muddy Marvels, Flamazine, Think Mud Supplement. Anything and everything no matter what the cost nothing worked!

Then tried pig oil and sulphur as recommended – was advised it was used on Clydesdale etc to keep them with full feather for showing. Stopped their mud fever.

I was more then optimistic. But made up the solution and applied it to my lads legs – Sheer terror rubbing it on raw legs. The pig oil moisturises (coconut derivative) and also protects from the mud and water (mud slides off) and the sulphur is the healing part. At first I applied it weekly as he was that bad but I was still able to turn him out daily even with his legs so bad. He healed up within a few weeks and all his fur grew back. I have never looked back since!

Would recommend pig and sulphur to anyone – does not involve a daily routine or take up time – when legs are healed it’s a 5 weekly appliance of the solution. It also costs very little in comparison to all the other marketed items yet this one actually works. Best of all they can still be turned out and heal.
Scrubbing their legs really does damage the skin integrity making a great basis for the bacteria to live. Same with wetting the legs etc.

For anyone interested – can buy the products hopefully at local tack shops / feed merchants, if not there is a supplier on ebay.
To apply mix 1 litre pig oil to 2 cupped hanfuls of sulphur and mix in a tub – get latex gloves as it can be a bit icky and apply with a sponge. Don’t worry if showing etc as it will wash off.

mandandpaddy

Visit site
We use Dermoline Tea-tree shampoo to wash the area (not everyday) then dry completely then apply udder cream (got from our very good tack shop) then depending on how wet it its and how`s it looking apply sudocream.

We have found since using the shampoo and udder cream together the scabs have gone and now have nice pink skin.

jo2601

Visit site
My mare gets mud rash if she just looks at mud and I have found Hibiscrub & Udder Cream to be the only way I can get rid of it

Fiona9

Visit site
My piebald gets it - he has 4 mostly white legs. He also has loadsa feathers. I feed NAF Mud Gard daily - daren't stop in case mud fever comes back!! I apply either Green Oils Gel, Equmins Mud Block or Sudocream right in his heels - that's where he gets it.

Sometimes I think the feathers protect him a bit other times I want no feathers so I can check how his condition is. I don't want to use turn out socks/chaps if I can help it.

Been reading about Formula 4 Feet so might give that a try check out their website www.equilife.co.uk it seems like it helps alot of conditions.

Hope you find a solution that suits your mare.

cyearsley

Visit site
Sportabrac turnout socks during the day (rotate 2 stes so one can be in the wash each night so always clean) and thermatex leg wraps at night to dry out any moisture......last horse suffered badly with it and tried all sorts of lotions and potions and this is what worked for him, initial investment high but the boots were all still going after 3 years any was quick and easy. Good luck

cruiseline

www.ipcmedia.com
We lard up our horses before it starts. Get a cheap block of lard from Tesco etc. and smear it on vulnerable areas, great prevention from rain scald too.

After all the bathing for the BEF Futurity all the babies have now been larded!!!!!!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
We lard up our horses before it starts. Get a cheap block of lard from Tesco etc. and smear it on vulnerable areas, great prevention from rain scald too.

[/ QUOTE ]
Mmm now that is an interesting prevention. May get a stock in to try before going down the pig oil and sulpher route...

cruiseline

www.ipcmedia.com
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Mmm now that is an interesting prevention. May get a stock in to try before going down the pig oil and sulpher route...

[/ QUOTE ]

At around 75p a go it is very cost effective, one block goes a long way. The heat from the horses body distributes it over the area and as it is in block form it is really easy to rub on.

grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

mickey

Visit site
I bought some turnout boots a while back but I don't use them. I wondered if the rough neoprene might scrape the legs making it easier for bacteria to thrive should mud get in there. I also felt that wet neoprene was not ideal next to the horse's leg. So they are on the floor in a corner of the garage somewhere!!

My horse has white legs but he does not get mud fever really, except for small bits. I use keratex powder as a prevention before going out and I swear by that.

Also, I am sure people know this, but the bacteria found in mud that causes mud fever, is worse in some areas of ground than others.......One yard may be a lot worse for this than another. Not much you can do about that.

MistletoeMegan

Visit site
I have just started using Sudocreme as a barrier cream, as I would like to try the barrier method as he has not got any scabs yet and I would like to try him that way. So, yesterday I gave his legs a wash and made sure they were completely clean and dry, then slapped liberal amounts of Sudocreme around his heels and turned him out.

Four or so hours later I came back to feed and rug him and there was only a smidge of Sudocreme left, as idiot horse loves water and had been splodging through a puddle for much of the afternoon - is it normal for a barrier cream to come off within a matter of hours? How long should it stay on for? Or will the small residual amount do the job anyway?

Or would I be better of hobbling the bugger, given his attraction to mud and water?
tongue.gif
smirk.gif

Ideas/advice greatly appreciated!